Author Topic: Balsall Heath Memories 50's and 60's  (Read 320933 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Balsall Heath Memories 50's and 60's
« Reply #374 on: October 13, 2011, 01:23:06 PM »
Gee Gee

Ask your sister if that was the Philip Harris that lived in Vincent street,

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

alanmillard

« Reply #375 on: October 13, 2011, 08:25:47 PM »
I remember the incident, the was stabbed outside the Clemants arms, there was also a pub half way up on the left the barman was named Harry, he always worked at the Star corner of Gooch St and Hope St,
can you tell me if auntie Roses son John is still alive as i have been trying to trace him, as kids we were good friends as well as been cousins, i know auntie Rose has passed on and so has her eldest Son Harry but i cant find John can you help. Alan

frank

« Reply #376 on: October 20, 2011, 03:02:56 PM »
Gee Gee. Thank you for your reply about Michael Clapham, i have uploaded 2 photos of Mary Street infants and junior school class photos that you or your sister might be interested in as you might recognise some of the faces, or may be other forum members will recognise them (or may be themselves), i can name about 8 of them.The first photo i think was taken in about 1951 or 1952.  I know CAPPDN (Dennis Capper) who uses the forum is on the 1st photo, he is on the back row far right and i am also on the back row far left. My brother Colin who is 2 and a half years younger than me is on the 2nd photo, he is on the third row up far right. All the best Frank. ps i hope you had a good holiday in sunnier climes.

MHenryD

« Reply #377 on: October 21, 2011, 04:58:59 PM »
 8) Just seen the Mary Street photos, just before my time unfortunately; however i recognized the arch in the background. That's where we used to take the girls when playing 'kiss chase'! ::) Oh happy days ( and how daring! ). Anybody else enjoy this harmless bit of 50's fun?

john2000

« Reply #378 on: October 21, 2011, 07:50:03 PM »
8) Just seen the Mary Street photos, just before my time unfortunately; however i recognized the arch in the background. That's where we used to take the girls when playing 'kiss chase'! ::) Oh happy days ( and how daring! ). Anybody else enjoy this harmless bit of 50's fun?
The arch ( several of them ) that was the place where I first said [censored], and god didn't strike me down dead like they said he would..
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Meaty66

« Reply #379 on: October 24, 2011, 02:04:29 PM »
can you tell me if auntie Roses son John is still alive as i have been trying to trace him, as kids we were good friends as well as been cousins, i know auntie Rose has passed on and so has her eldest Son Harry but i cant find John can you help. Alan

I spoke with my Nan the other day and unfortunately, she's lost contact too although she seems to recall he may have lived in the Yardley Wood area for a while.  It may be worth a trawl through the phone book or try something like 192.com.

Whilst I was talking to her and my uncle, we had a real laugh at the stories she told me; how she lived down Highgate Road as a child and had to 'top'n'tail' as there wasn't enough bed space.  We talked of my late grandfather setting fire to the cellar and garage (on separate occasions) of their house even though he'd been a fireman.  She went on to tell me of the bookies operating at the back room of some houses (Snapes may have been the name of one) and that there'd be a lookout on the front and if the police turned up, they'd escape accross the yards at the back.  I had a really enjoyable time listening to the stories again and it's nice to see the photos on this site to try and add some context and atmosphere.

janey

« Reply #380 on: December 20, 2011, 06:44:50 PM »
Does anybody know the name of this St/Rd, a lot of people mistake it for Angelina St, but the Emily was further along Dymoke St, before Leopold St, when they built St Martins flats, they left the pub in situ, behind the flats so I am guessing this St/Rd was built over, the street along the bottom is Vaughton St, you wouldn't be able to see that much of Vaughton St from the corner of Angelina St, does anybody have a map of the area, thank you

mikejee

« Reply #381 on: December 20, 2011, 07:04:23 PM »
It is Emily St

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #382 on: December 20, 2011, 08:24:07 PM »
Yes the Emily Arms was on the corner of Dymoke Street and Emily Street. As you say they built St Martins Flats in front of it or behind it depending on which way you look at it.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

janey

« Reply #383 on: December 20, 2011, 08:38:12 PM »
Thanks I'll have a look at that

buster

« Reply #384 on: January 02, 2012, 09:44:39 AM »
I am looking for the photos of hope street school or Dennis Road school I know they were on somewhere but cann ot remember where the ones off 1050s cricket and football teams with the Deakins on

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy