Author Topic: Balsall Heath Memories 50's and 60's  (Read 320889 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Balsall Heath Memories 50's and 60's
« Reply #385 on: January 02, 2012, 11:25:17 AM »
Hi Buster

Have you tried Friends Reunited there are quite a few school photos on there.

I'm almost certain I have uploaded this photo of the annex at Dennis Rd School before. It has to be sometime in the mid 50's because sitting next to Alan Deakin 5th from the left in the front row (ex Villa) is Roy Woolley the only person I knew in the photo and he was some 4 or 5 years older than me.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Spud

« Reply #386 on: January 02, 2012, 11:44:04 AM »
 More memories Phil. Remember playing football against my old adversary Alan Deakin many times in the 50s. Smashing lad. O0
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

alanmillard

« Reply #387 on: January 07, 2012, 08:34:06 PM »
I spoke with my Nan the other day and unfortunately, she's lost contact too although she seems to recall he may have lived in the Yardley Wood area for a while.  It may be worth a trawl through the phone book or try something like 192.com.

Whilst I was talking to her and my uncle, we had a real laugh at the stories she told me; how she lived down Highgate Road as a child and had to 'top'n'tail' as there wasn't enough bed space.  We talked of my late grandfather setting fire to the cellar and garage (on separate occasions) of their house even though he'd been a fireman.  She went on to tell me of the bookies operating at the back room of some houses (Snapes may have been the name of one) and that there'd be a lookout on the front and if the police turned up, they'd escape accross the yards at the back.  I had a really enjoyable time listening to the stories again and it's nice to see the photos on this site to try and add some context and atmosphere.
hi your nan would certainly known my nannie Rainsford livet to be 102 and never had electric light while living in highgate st she still had the old gas mantles she was one of nine with only two bedrooms. alan

alanmillard

« Reply #388 on: January 13, 2012, 08:38:35 PM »
hi peops
hi your nan would certainly known my nannie Rainsford livet to be 102 and never had electric light while living in highgate st she still had the old gas mantles she was one of nine with only two bedrooms. alan
hi peops does any one have a photo of Rea St School please . alan

alanmillard

« Reply #389 on: January 24, 2012, 10:20:43 PM »
Hi Andy,
Do you remember Floyds fish and chip shop in Longmore Street?  I lived in a courtyard at the rear of the barber's shop and doctor's surgery in Longmore Street. Mrs. Floyd's was there for many years and served her chips in newspaper (of course!).  I saw some photos recently of Longmore Street and couldn't believe how shabby everything looked but I never noticed in those days - it was just home to me, all familiar and friendly.
Jill.
hi the old chap who was the barber used to cut my hair short back and sides and a singe to stop you getting a cold but it never worked. alan

daverock

« Reply #390 on: January 25, 2012, 01:18:56 PM »

Thanks for that.      I remember all those guys, plus 'Bunny' Bainbridge who was also in the Fortunes.      Knew a few others from your year, too: Micky Lenton; Micky Maughan (RIP, died aged 19); and Tony Hine.      Worked in the labs at Dunlop for 3 years with Pete 'Piggy' Smith (He was a Paint Technologist, I was a Polymer Chemist).       Happy Days, eh.      Have you been on the Moseleians site yet, and spotted yourself on the long all-school photo's?

By the way, you can still get all that 50's stuff in Cheddar Road today, but it's called 'degredation' and it costs extra! ;D   

daverock

« Reply #391 on: January 25, 2012, 01:22:02 PM »
Hi
I have only just read a post by planetmalc with reference to Mickey Maughan passing away aged 19, I was at Clifton Road with him & he was the only player in the school team who was naturally left footed, he lived in Highgate road from memory, can anyone fill me in about his passing please
Dave

alanmillard

« Reply #392 on: January 27, 2012, 12:50:40 PM »
Hi Buster

Have you tried Friends Reunited there are quite a few school photos on there.

I'm almost certain I have uploaded this photo of the annex at Dennis Rd School before. It has to be sometime in the mid 50's because sitting next to Alan Deakin 5th from the left in the front row (ex Villa) is Roy Woolley the only person I knew in the photo and he was some 4 or 5 years older than me.

PhilHi phil sorry mate you will have to tell me how to make a new thread,
can i take you back to the coronation 1953 i think do you or any of the people you are in contact with or have a photo of the Barford st Coronation st party i know this is a long shot but if anyone can do it you can. all the best alan

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #393 on: January 27, 2012, 01:17:28 PM »
Alan

To start a new thread first chose the board that covers the type of thread you want to start i.e. Birmingham Chat, Birmingham History & Memories, General Chat, etc. Open that board and up near the top of the list of posts on the right you will see a box with the word new topic. Click on that box and it will open a new page, where it says subject type in a title for your new thread. Then underneath in the text box type in what you want to say.  When complete just click post as with any other post.

I hope this is of some help to you, if not just ask what you want to know.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

planetmalc

« Reply #394 on: January 29, 2012, 04:52:59 PM »
Hi
I have only just read a post by planetmalc with reference to Mickey Maughan passing away aged 19, I was at Clifton Road with him & he was the only player in the school team who was naturally left footed, he lived in Highgate road from memory, can anyone fill me in about his passing please
Dave

Hi Dave,

Are we talking about the same Mickey Maughan?     He would have been born in (I think) late 1943 or early 1944.     When I knew him he used to go home from school on the 29A bus, so he may have lived in Highgate Road.      He died of lung cancer caused by smoking (which his parents allowed him to do at home).  :-\       
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

daverock

« Reply #395 on: January 29, 2012, 09:33:56 PM »
Hi
That would be the right Micky Maughan born late 43 early 44 went to Clifton Road then Moseley Grammar, very sad to hear about him. I often wondered what happened after we left Clifton Road, 19 is such a young age to be getting Lung Cancer.
Thanks for letting me know, did you know a Kenny or Ken Guy at Moseley Grammar?
Cheers
Dave

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy