Author Topic: Balsall Heath Memories 50's and 60's  (Read 320900 times)

ilovebirmingham

Balsall Heath Memories 50's and 60's
« on: May 27, 2008, 06:41:34 PM »
I have been reading through some of your memories of life growing up in Balsall Heath, what fantasic times. Spotted a few familiar names too which was great, a real throw back. Would like to share my memories with you all and would love to hear some more from you too, so what can you remember???

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Balsall Heath Memories 50's and 60's
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 07:08:53 PM »
Hi ilovebirmingham

welcome to Birmingham's best forum, you'll have to think of a shorter name than that, it takes half an hour to type it with one finger.

Tell us more about yourself, we know like some of us you come from Balsall Heath or surrounding area, what streets? what school? and what pubs or other places of entertainment did you frequent. If you share these things with us, we may discover that we know each other. In my case if that is true I will apologise in advance for anything I did in the past.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 07:29:13 PM »
tramp

a couple of shots of Balsall Heath/ Sparkbrook I came across today. These are believe it or not Ladypool Rd. I think the one is of the corner of Alfred St, but I'm not sure.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 08:11:02 PM »
Phil,

It's completely unrecognisable.........I'm not sure if it is Alfred St, as that was a 90 degree corner, Westwood's has shrunk, and where's the pub gone!

They're good photos though, where did you get them?

tramp

ilovebirmingham

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 08:13:38 PM »
the memory list is endless, i could spend my entire life on here reminsicing 'the good old days.' my name is john hall was born in '53 went to st, mary's primary & then i was only 1 2 go 2 queensbridge, the rest of us went to st. albans. was born on sherbourne rd & the family had a shop on gooch st. had an older brother frankie & younger sister suzie and little brother geoff but we had left balsall heath by the time he was a small boy. lived at several addresses locally and had family dotted all over balsall heath. what is your name if u dont mind me asking? any other fello heathens around....??

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 08:29:04 PM »
tramp,

It might be St Pauls Rd /Coleville rd, and the shop on the right would be the old bakery and one time Burdens Ice Cream shop.

As you say there is no Red Lion pub, and as far as I know is still there. I will look out the name of the web site for you.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 08:39:19 PM »
the memory list is endless, i could spend my entire life on here reminsicing 'the good old days.' my name is john hall was born in '53 went to st, mary's primary & then i was only 1 2 go 2 queensbridge, the rest of us went to st. albans. was born on sherbourne rd & the family had a shop on gooch st. had an older brother frankie & younger sister suzie and little brother geoff but we had left balsall heath by the time he was a small boy. lived at several addresses locally and had family dotted all over balsall heath. what is your name if u dont mind me asking? any other fello heathens around....??

Hi John,

Its never a good idea to give out your full name on the web, My name is Phil and I have lived in Vincent Street, Balsall Heath and Larches St Sparkbrook. So quite a way off from you, but my family used to shop in Gooch St and Sherbourne Rd wasn't that far away.

I of course used the Triangle and the Luxor as I have no doubt you did. Queensbridge was a bit of a jaunt, what was the matter with Dennis rd?

I think we have a couple of bods on here from your neck of the woods, you will probably know John2000 he comes out of Cox St not far from you.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 08:46:21 PM »
Phil,

You may well be right, in fact I'm pretty sure you are.

Good one again mate,

tramp

frederick

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 01:57:17 PM »
Phil,
nice photo it is Coleville rd on the left and st Pauls rd on the right the Red Lion next rd up on the right on the corner of Brunswick rd.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 02:19:05 PM »
Fred

You are right, my brain must be pickling in my old age.  Its the George on the corner of Alfred St. I drank in the smoke room there hundreds of times with my old mates Jack & Alf. It was after a night in there that was the only time I ever saw my wife drunk.

We went back to Jacks in Ombersley rd and had a few drinks, my wife was drinking "old fashiond's". She didn't have a clue they were alcoholic and she had five. Being a non drinker she ended up as drunk as a judge as the saying goes.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 02:26:38 PM »
the Red Lion was my closest pub when i lived with my parent.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy