Author Topic: Balsall Heath Memories 50's and 60's  (Read 320919 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Balsall Heath Memories 50's and 60's
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2008, 07:53:17 PM »
Hi there littlesis

Welcome to the forum, when did you live in Balsall Heath Rd and what end did you live.

It might have been me eating out of your pig bin, you must have been rich if you could afford to feed the pigs.

Tell us more about the ways of the rich.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Littlesis

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2008, 10:17:07 PM »
No Phil rich we were not, I lived in the middle of Balsall Heath Road not too far from Kensington Gardens, time period 1946 (when my nan delivered me as all the district midwives were out on call) until 1970 when hubby and I moved to Nuneaton closer to his work. I think I have read on another thread about having things on strap, well that was us only we had a book. I have noticed a lot of you were from Ombersley Road, do any of you remember Mrs Keelings shop on the corner and a little electrical shop opposite.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2008, 11:13:51 PM »
Littlesis

So you lived somewhere near the end of Wenman Street or Mary Street then opposite where they built the new school or did they move you out to build the school.

I'm from Vincent St, just round the corner and sometimes Larches St close to  Ombersley Rd.

As you are roundabout my age, we probably bumped into each other at sometime, as I roamed pretty far and wide.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cappdn

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2008, 08:56:06 AM »
My Grandmother lived next door to the electrical shop in Oldfield Rd. It was called Merchants. Mrs Keeling and my granmother were quit good friends.

Regards. Dennis Capper.

Ps I dont mind any one knowing my name.

Mary8790

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2008, 12:25:13 PM »
Did anyone know the Cassidys who lived on Mary Street during the 50s?

cappdn

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2008, 02:36:07 PM »
Yes I went to school{Mary ST} with Brian or was it David"" Cassidy, he had Red Hair and lived in the row of houses off the bombed peck near Mary St School.
Regards.
Dennis Capper.

Littlesis

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2008, 10:26:41 AM »
Do any of you remember the waste patch in between the co-op and the shops by Pyatts fish and chip shop (spellings wrong) in Balsall Heath Road. My big sister used to take me there with her friends to watch bike racing, I don't think it was motor bike racing just racing with pedal bikes. It was organised and I went quite a few times with her.  It's just a vague memory, I think I was a pain in the backside and she had to take me with her.

john2000

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2008, 11:30:03 AM »
little.... Such happy days, it was good race around that dirt track, I was always first away. and last to come in, after 3-4 races I would stagger agross to the pub, and after a time stagger back to the track, never won anything, but used to know a guy who was very good, he called himself Hank,thats all I knew of him, ... yes happy days,....J2  O0
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

cappdn

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2008, 12:59:55 PM »
A older boy who lived over the road from me in Mary St, used to compete on that track, His name was Pat Kinsella, he  was one of the people who set it up, also just after the war they had a funfair on that piece of ground. The pub over the Road was called The Littleton.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2008, 05:04:18 PM »
John & Dennis

Here is a snap of the Lyttleton Arms. perhaps you will remember it as well littlesis, its funny how things look different when you look back at them. You don't seem to remember how grubby things were.

Strange I don't remember ever having a drink in there, which is most unusual for me. The alcohol must be pickling my brain, I'm drinking too much wine lately.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Andy Capp

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2008, 07:41:06 PM »
HI PHIL 47
WHEN SOMEONE COMES UP WITH A SUBJECT YOU SEEM TO PRODUCE A PHOTO RELATING TO THAT SUBJECT. WHERE ON EARTH DO YOU GET THEM ALL FROM. THEY'RE MOST WELCOME BRING BACK LOTS OF MEMORIES KEEP E'M COMING.
ANDY CAPP

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy