Author Topic: Balsall Heath Memories 50's and 60's  (Read 320899 times)

Andy Capp

Re: Balsall Heath Memories 50's and 60's
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2008, 08:00:44 PM »
WHO'S REMEMBERS FRED LANES NEWSAGENTS  IN BALSALL HEATH ROAD. USED TO GET MY EAGLE & ROVER & HOTSPUR COMICS FROM HIS SHOP. HE ALSO HAD SEVERAL NEWS STANDS IN THE CITY CENTRE. WHAT WONDERFUL MEMORIES. WAS THE NAME OF THE FACTORY ALONG THE SIDE BOMBED PATCH CALLED HOLDER & BISHOP. ANDY CAPP

john2000

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2008, 10:43:54 PM »
Andy... I remember Lanes the paper shop...when I was 5 years old I got lost, and I was outside the shop. and some woman asked me where I lived, and being 5 years old, and big tears, hadn't a clue, but she took me up Mary St, down Balfour St and then I saw my house. she knocked on the door and gave me back to my mom, after that I always had a little label with my name and address sown into my coat..
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2008, 12:33:00 PM »
Andy

What about this one of you Capper lads end of Mary Street.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2008, 12:39:25 PM »
I used to go to a great pub called The Railway in Clifton Road. It was run by Mick & Delia Hegarty who went back to live in Ireland and Mick has since died.  Does anyone know if the pub is still there.

Mary

managed to find this for you, hope it brings back pleasant memories.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2008, 03:47:16 PM »
Phil and Dennis, is that Mary St school on the left, and far in the back ground could be St albans Church in Conybere/Stanhope St. I think if the person who took the photo had stood back another 50 ft, he would have got the entrance to the Cappers house, and also on the left the cake shop... J2

Andy Capp

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2008, 08:03:58 PM »
MY MATES & MYSELF USED TO START OUR PUB CRAWL AT THE RAILWAY INN IN CLIFTON ROAD ON A SATURDAY EVENING. THEN MAKE OUR WAY ALONG MOSELEY ROAD & END UP AT THE RITZ BALLROOM IN KINGS HEATH. MEMORIES ARE MADE OF THIS. ANDY CAPP

Mary8790

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2008, 11:06:41 PM »
Thanks Phil for the picture of the Railway pub, many a good night spent in there.  I love looking at the old pictures of Balsall Heath.  Although I never lived in Balsall Heath I was a member of the Girls Life Brigade in the late 50s early 60s and we used to meet in the Methodist church opposite the swimming baths and I had a lot of friends who lived in that area.  Also one of my mom's best friends Ellen Cassidy lived in Mary Street and we used to visit a lot and play with the local kids. 

Littlesis

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2008, 05:34:47 PM »
Hi John2000

I have been talking to my big sister and she thought that Hank went out with a friend of hers called Margaret, she said Hank was quite tall and that he worked in the carpet dept of Keene and Scott.

On a previous thread someone was talking about a girl from Gosford St they thought was called Marion, there was Marion James and Marie Campbell.

Does anyone know anything about the rooms over the co-op I have a vague memory of going to someone's wedding reception there. Were the loos inside or downstairs in a yard outside.

Andy Capp

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2008, 05:48:56 PM »
Hi littlesis
Marion James & her brother Robert lived 5 doors down from me in Gosford Street.
She married a chap named Barry. My sister Pat used to keep in touch with her. I don't know if she still does Andy Capp

Mary8790

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2008, 07:54:06 PM »
Andy Capp I used to love going to the Ritz in Kings Heath. I remember when the Beatles were there and I was gutted because my brother got in to see them but I couldn't get in because I was too young. When I was old enough I remember seeing some great bands there and the fabulous Dusty Springfield.   I always thought it was a shame when they turned into a bingo hall.

john2000

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2008, 06:48:41 AM »
Hi littlesis.... I remember a Marion from Gosford St, ( which was one of the safest St's in Balsall Heath, ), it had a wall at the bottom, so no cars came down there, Andy lived on the left hand side close to a Robinson family, ( I used to go to school with Alan), I met Marion ( who lived on the right hand side close to Balsall Heath Rd, ), .... she came to a meeting one evening which was held at the Mount Pleasant community center, she came in that evening, wanting to put the world to right, and feed the poor, she went on and on all evening, about it. it stuck in my mind all the years since then,
You asked about the rooms over the coop the entrance was in Upper Cox st, I went to Sunday school there, ( yes, little old me, ) cant belive I did that, next door ( still over the coop was a family called Williams, I know david well he lived with his mom there, we where great friends for years, but like every thing else we driffed apart, we both started to go out with girls, .... J2 ::)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy