Author Topic: Balsall Heath Memories 50's and 60's  (Read 320873 times)

Littlesis

Re: Balsall Heath Memories 50's and 60's
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2008, 09:45:36 AM »
Hi John

I think you are talking about Marie Campbell, she lived in the "four new houses" by Balsall Heath Road. She was a little older than me, I think she had a sort of nervous breakdown. They moved away not long after.

My husband and I (sounds like the queen, or should I say like a brummie, lady muck) held our wedding reception in the community centre at Mount Pleasant. It had only been opened a short time.

When did you move away. What year were you born? I am circa 1946 a baby boomer.

Did you ever "drop walls" we used to climb down the wall from Gosford Street into an entry in Balsall Heath Road by the Dawson's house and the double wall that was between Kensington Gardens and the houses that lay back in Balsall Heath Road opposite Wenman Street.

john2000

« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2008, 02:49:46 PM »
littlesis... Sorry to hear that Marie Campbell, had a breakdown, mind you the way she rambled on that night about giving food to Africa, ... but nuf said,.
Did you ever go to Mount Pleasent youth centre,? or to the youth club that was held in the school at the top of Sherbourne Rd, had some great nights there, there was lots of groups played there at night, there was a big West Indian guy called Lance, who played in a group on a Wednesday, wasn't too bad, heard worse..Arther Vassey was there when I was there, he was in charge, (the head of centre). other words he had the key to lock up at night.
Where did you live. ?? I lived in Cox's St West, ( at the top end near Balfour St,),
Drop walls, ??.. well I think its the same game as we played, ( with the cousins of Andy Capp. ( Capper,) we used to run over the back gardens, jump the fence into one garden then over the next and so on, it was great fun, but at times well we had pools in the garden, small green houses, ( alway just where you land,) and the best was......the dogs... most times they where by the house, but some times very, very close to where you came down over the fence, first guy no problem, the dog looked up and you where gone, the second guy come over, but by the time the dog had turned to see what was going on, he too was gone, but sadly the third guy had the problem,........ the dog was waiting......
I remember the River Rea, in Calthorpe park, when I was eight years old, me and my mate went down the Rea in an old tin bath tub ( the type you used to have your Friday night bath in front of the fire..we had a great time, got almost to Aston, but it was blocked off there, so we had to walk back, bloody walk that was and me in my little black and yellow swin suit... I looked like a little bee, took us ages to find out way home again.... my god the stories I could tell... but that was Yesterday when I was young..... :idiot2:
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

john2000

« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2008, 08:29:07 AM »
Phil.....You have my deepest sympathy when it come to drunken wives, mine to is a none drinker, shandy is about her limit, well mine tried a new drink, Mmmm this is nice, but by the end of the evening, she was legless, and telling every one she feels ill, ( must be the Scotch eggs), anyway go her home put her to bed, do you think she would go to sleep, no way, she kept me up all night, she talked about everything imaginable, from the cat that lives down the street, what she saw in Mrs so and so's house, are you listening to what I'm saying, ? yes dear now try to sleep, big day tomorrow, and then it started she kept asking, "why", oh such and such, oh, but why,? well I could go on all day, ... so if the little woman don't drink, keep her away from the spirits.... :buck2:....J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Jill

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2008, 11:41:07 PM »
Do any of you remember the waste patch in between the co-op and the shops by Pyatts fish and chip shop (spellings wrong) in Balsall Heath Road. My big sister used to take me there with her friends to watch bike racing, I don't think it was motor bike racing just racing with pedal bikes. It was organised and I went quite a few times with her.  It's just a vague memory, I think I was a pain in the backside and she had to take me with her.

I now live near Cheltenahm and was amazed recently to find out that a neighbour who I have spoken to daily for many years was the daughter of the Pyatt family.  Her house is called Pyatts Patch but it never dawned on me that there might be a connection.  Apparently she was evacuated here during the war, kept visiting after the war and eventually met someone here who she  married.  What a small world it really is!

Andy Capp

« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2008, 07:22:05 PM »
HI ALL
YES PYATTS FISH SHOP WAS THE FRIDAY NIGHT MECCA FOR FISH & CHIPS. YOU ALWAYS HAD TO QUEUE. THE MOM & DAD SERVED & THE SON EDDIE WAS ALWAYS LOADING PEELED POTATOES INTO THE CHIP CUTTING MACHINE IT WAS THAT BUSY. IT MUST HAVE BEEN A GOLD MINE BUT A LOT OF HOT HARD WORK. BUT THE CHIPS WERE GREAT. ANDY CAPP

Jill

« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2008, 09:45:57 PM »
Hi Andy,
Do you remember Floyds fish and chip shop in Longmore Street?  I lived in a courtyard at the rear of the barber's shop and doctor's surgery in Longmore Street. Mrs. Floyd's was there for many years and served her chips in newspaper (of course!).  I saw some photos recently of Longmore Street and couldn't believe how shabby everything looked but I never noticed in those days - it was just home to me, all familiar and friendly.
Jill.

shardeen

« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2008, 01:13:40 AM »
hello john200, i used to go to sherbourne rd youth club, round about the time elvis had his first hit heartbreak hotel, and i dont mind admiting there used to be a girl who went there  with red hair  who i fancied like mad , but never had the courage to ask her out, but otherwise it was a great club. where you there when jonny carrol who late became famouse on the comedians was at the club?
shardeen

cappdn

« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2008, 07:34:45 AM »
I used to go to the Sherbourne Rd Youth Club at that time, I also went to one on a Friday night , it was run by St Paul's Church  and a Local Bobby called George. The Church hall was next to the rail line in St Paul's Road.
We had some good times there. I know the Church has now gone, but I often wonder if the Hall is still there.

Regards to all.
Dennis Capper.

joybee

« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2008, 11:27:02 AM »
Hello All

Oh please please please may I join in your memories ??

I'm a newbie on here, and I have NEVER lived in Birmingham - but all my school holidays were spent in the Balsall Heath area as a child !

My first memories of staying there were at my Grandad's home - 'Sunny Side', 26 Edgebaston Road - are those houses still there ? I used to love the attic where my cousins Raymond and Victor Massey slept and where Vic had one of those old fashioned Puppet theatres set up.
Grandad (Joe) had an allotment behind the house and I used to love going to his greenhouse - can still smell the tomatoes - and I used to have to pick dandilions for making Dandilion beer and wine.

After a while they moved to the Paper Shop on the corner of Strencham Road and Mary Street. Again I used to love that - being allowed to actually serve as I got older. Does anyone remember the shop - and it's 'penny trays' ???

I made quite a few friends in the area - I remember a Vince from Vincent Street and David and Colin from Park Road.
The fun we had in Cannon Hill Park !!

Thanks for letting me in ! I will be back, your memories bring mine to the fore and it's GREAT :D

tramp

« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2008, 01:22:41 PM »
joybee,

Welcome to the forum - most of us don't live in Brum any more just a few do  while others live close by - there are many expats too and a couple of others who;ve never lived there - I haven't for over 49 years.

Just get stuck into that anything that interests you - start a thread if there's something you want to know about or discuss -- Phil has photos  going to the year dot, and thousands of them too.

Enjoy yourself, most of us do, most of the time!

joybee

« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2008, 01:29:33 PM »
 Hi Tramp,

Thank you for your welcome.

Another shop has come to mind that I have fond memories of - Pankhursts on the corner of Edgebaston Road and George Street ?? Lovely Fruit and Veg shop and nice friendly people running it.

My Aunt Flo also used to clean at Calthorpe Police Station. There was a dormatory there for the night shift and it had a lovely highly polished wooden floor. I have happy memories of being taken along with her and using that floor as a slide. The cells were a good place to hide too ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy