Author Topic: Balsall Heath Memories 50's and 60's  (Read 320913 times)

cocacolakid

Re: Balsall Heath Memories 50's and 60's
« Reply #836 on: March 24, 2016, 07:23:12 PM »
Malc

I knew the Burbridges but not by name the thing is 3 or 4 years is not a lot when you reach the age we are now but when we were younger it was an insurmountable difference and we just never took any notice of people who were only slightly younger or older.

As I think I said I can remember the Maisonettes being built in the 50's and before that we used to play on the bomb site. but I have no recollection of anybody who lived in them until my grandmother moved into one of them and my Aunt moved into the one next door in the 70's both of the ground floor ones.  My uncle still lives in the one now, we sold the other one when my grandmother and other uncle who still lived with her died in the 90's.

Phil..

The Burbidge girls were Dorothy (the eldest) And Margurite.                                                     
Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

cocacolakid

« Reply #837 on: March 24, 2016, 07:40:59 PM »
Hi Malc,

In reply to your question, I went to Rea Street Primary School.  Most of my friends went to Hope Street after Rea Street.  Alan Chance did have a younger brother but I can't remember his name.  I was only 15/16 when I went out with Alan, I bumped into him years later and I think he became a butcher.

Hi Pat...

Just wondered if you went to Mary St School,  as a number of the girls I knew, went there before going on to Upper Highgate St and Hope St.  1 or 2 went to Conway Rd.  If you were 15/16 when you went with Alan Chance, I think it would have been after he went out with Diane Cupples, as I feel sure he was with her whilst we were still at school.  Rea St was not my area (Digbeth) The only connection I guess is that there was a River St there in B.5  I lived in River St B.12  A very loose connection. You were a fair distance from your friend Winifred, and boyfriend Alan.

Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #838 on: March 24, 2016, 07:44:21 PM »
Phil..

The Burbidge girls were Dorothy (the eldest) And Margurite.                                                     
Malc.

Sorry Malc the names don't mean a thing to me, but there again I didn't live in Larches St full time. I lived there a few years at a time on and off from about 1958 to 1969. Did you know the Fieldhouse family on the corner of Larches Street and Larches Passage. It was Brian that Ben & me knew that was the same age as us but he did have an older brother that must have been about your age.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #839 on: March 24, 2016, 08:17:55 PM »
Sorry Malc the names don't mean a thing to me, but there again I didn't live in Larches St full time. I lived there a few years at a time on and off from about 1958 to 1969. Did you know the Fieldhouse family on the corner of Larches Street and Larches Passage. It was Brian that Ben & me knew that was the same age as us but he did have an older brother that must have been about your age.

Phil..

I did know a Brian Fieldhouse, who would have been my age as he was in my class at Dennis Rd, however, I am sure he lived in one of the roads that ran between Ladypool Rd & Stoney Lane. Of course, his family could have moved to Larches St, but I am not aware of this. I am now just a couple of months away from being 73.

Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #840 on: March 24, 2016, 08:30:00 PM »
Malc

Then it's another Fieldhouse family  because Brian would be 69 or 70 now and he definitely lived at 19 Larches St  which was three doors away from us on the corner of Larches Passage.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

brenda deakin

« Reply #841 on: March 24, 2016, 09:40:36 PM »
i was born in malvern street in 1955. the house belonged to my gran whose name was kate bardsley. some of the neighbours i remember are the allsop family and a lady named mrs bryan or bryant. she had a little boy called colin. my gran moved into a flat in the mid 1960s as the houses were being pulled down.

cocacolakid

« Reply #842 on: March 25, 2016, 10:35:23 AM »
Malc

Then it's another Fieldhouse family  because Brian would be 69 or 70 now and he definitely lived at 19 Larches St  which was three doors away from us on the corner of Larches Passage.

Hi Phil...

I guess it must be a different Fieldhouse family, as you say, just a coincidence they both had a Brian.  The Brian I Knew was always called fieldmouse by his mates.

Malc.

pat11

« Reply #843 on: March 25, 2016, 05:08:44 PM »
Hi Phil,
Yes, that's right he was tubby.  I remember going to some sort of youth club, they had rock and roll records and dancing, somewhere in your area.  It may have been a school.  Here I met a boy called David Sprason and went out with him for a while, does his name ring a bell with you.
Kindness is the best feature

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #844 on: March 25, 2016, 07:48:28 PM »
Hi Pat

The only place I can think of doing dances in the Balsall Heath / Sparkbrook area around that time except for pub discos was St Pauls Church Hall in St Pauls Rd. It was pretty good there for a while until the fights started and they put an end to it. Sorry but the name David Sprason means nothing to me. The closest name I recollect to that is David Drayton who I was also at school with.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pat11

« Reply #845 on: March 25, 2016, 09:55:07 PM »
Hi Pat

The only place I can think of doing dances in the Balsall Heath / Sparkbrook area around that time except for pub discos was St Pauls Church Hall in St Pauls Rd. It was pretty good there for a while until the fights started and they put an end to it. Sorry but the name David Sprason means nothing to me. The closest name I recollect to that is David Drayton who I was also at school with.

Phil,
thank you for your reply.  Yes, St Paul's does ring a bell.  Another friend of mine was Carol Lamb.  You would probably not know my friends because if you are the same age as Alan Chance's brother then you would be 3 years younger than me. 
Kindness is the best feature

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #846 on: March 25, 2016, 10:10:52 PM »
Pat

As I said earlier when you are a teenager three years is worlds apart.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy