Author Topic: Balsall Heath Memories 50's and 60's  (Read 320903 times)

todbury

Re: Balsall Heath Memories 50's and 60's
« Reply #858 on: November 21, 2016, 09:07:35 AM »
I've just found out that my Dad was bombed out of his house in Wenman Street in c1940.  Luckily he or his mom or sister weren't there at the time, but after that he was evacuated to Lichfield and then on to Evesham till the end of the war.  Does anyone have any information about this bombing, was it the only house on the street to be hit during the war?

thanks in advance

Dan

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #859 on: November 21, 2016, 09:38:21 AM »
Hi Todbury

The only bomb sites I remember on Wenman Street were just adjacent to Balsall Heath Road marked A & B on the attached map. As far as I am aware these sites were never built on until the whole area was rebuilt in the 70's. The attached photo looks like it was taken during the demolitions of the 70's, but I'm almost sure it's site "A" on the map as it looks very much the site that we used to use as ski & sledge slope in the winter as kids. As it looks like one of the photos given to me by Mikejee perhaps he might be able to confirm it, though most of the others I have of his of Wenman Street are colour.

Todbury have you any idea of the number your dad lived at, and I would be able to locate it better for you.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #860 on: November 21, 2016, 09:41:48 AM »
one more of wenman street     this part of Birmingham got bombed a few times it was said that they was trying to get camphill goods yards  and the b.s.a

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

todbury

« Reply #861 on: November 21, 2016, 10:04:14 AM »
Wow thanks for these, I'm not sure of the number, but I now my brother has a telegram from their neighbor telling them their house has been hit when I see it I might have more info.  On a second note after the bombing my grandmother and aunt went to stay with friends/relatives in Jayshaw Avenue (Great Barr), now I know there was a bomb dropped there which killed another distant relative.  This bomb was a rarity in that area (I think they were after wither the coal mine or the canal?  Does anyone have information on that?  And lastly (for the moment :) ) my mom told me she remembers the akak guns at Perry Barr any photos of these would be great.  This is all for my daughters school project, but it's also good to remember the old days.

todbury

« Reply #862 on: November 21, 2016, 10:38:25 AM »
Ok it was no 12 Wenman Street

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #863 on: November 21, 2016, 10:42:24 AM »
Roy

Where on Wenman Street was your photo taken, as I don't recognise it, all the back terraces I remember were either uphill or downhill and I can't remember any that were on the flat. I have also got this photo and mine is tagged as Kensington Gardens, unfortunately I don't know where that was except that it was in Balsall Heath, but I will endeavour to find out.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #864 on: November 21, 2016, 10:51:55 AM »

not sure phil but ill dig a little deeper    but this is how it might have looked in a tad of colour
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

mikejee

« Reply #865 on: November 21, 2016, 11:00:46 AM »
Phil
The picture was not mine, though looks similar to others I took. however I think it may be misslabelled, as Kensington Gardens was off Balsall Heath Road almost opposite Wenman St. Some names were repeated around the city, but there would not have been another so close. It is shown as partly empty space on the c1950 map.

mikejee

« Reply #866 on: November 21, 2016, 11:08:32 AM »
Phil
Have just realised I may have missinterpreted your post to mean that the earlier photo you posted was marked Kensington gardens. . Still, th emap shows you where it was

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #867 on: November 21, 2016, 11:39:10 AM »
Todbury

As far as I can work it out, this map shows the location of number 12, as shown it was located at area "B" on the location I marked on the first map.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #868 on: November 21, 2016, 01:02:53 PM »
Here is a map c 1889 showing number 12 in red, corresponding to Phil's map, with junction with  Knutsford St in the bottom left corner

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy