Author Topic: Holidays and Leisure  (Read 2705 times)

townie

Re: Holidays and Leisure
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 05:13:23 PM »
You were very lucky Ed I remember Lea Village school being a dump but that was in the 60s.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2019, 11:16:54 PM »
Townie it was great in the 50s.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

frederick

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2019, 07:41:08 AM »
That trip to the I.O.Man was at the same time as the T T and we were taken to see the riders go past. I wonder if the teachers that were with us had an interest in the T T.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Peg Monkey

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2019, 01:50:50 PM »
Top of my leisure activities for the years 1960-67 was my membership of the Boys' Brigade (aged 11-17) each winter on a Sunday we had a ramble in the snow over Clent Hills, had a great time, my disapperance one year into a deep snow drift amused everyone, the ramble culminated with a bowl of hot soup in a cafe in Clent.
Link Boys' Brigade Thread: http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=15028.msg668444#msg668444
Peg. O0

Peg Monkey

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2019, 12:20:16 PM »
Who's done Route 66? I'm sure a purist would argue You have to do it on a Harley, trouble is the pillion is unbearably uncomfortable (or so I've heared) and that wouldn't work with Mrs Monkey, so nearest armchair pillion I've found so far is on a Honda Goldwing - all I have to do is win the lottery and we'll be off, (Kansas? probabaly a good career move to avoid the hurricane season, we don't want a Yellow Brick Road experience). :-[
Peg.

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2019, 06:42:02 PM »
Who's done Route 66? I'm sure a purist would argue You have to do it on a Harley, trouble is the pillion is unbearably uncomfortable (or so I've heared) and that wouldn't work with Mrs Monkey, so nearest armchair pillion I've found so far is on a Honda Goldwing - all I have to do is win the lottery and we'll be off, (Kansas? probabaly a good career move to avoid the hurricane season, we don't want a Yellow Brick Road experience). :-[
Peg.

Yes, my mate Greengrass has ridden Route 66 on a Harley. He wanted my wife and I to do it with him and his partner but we had already done Colorado, Pacific coast and New England on bicycles so we declined. He has not been active on this site since 2017 but I'll give him a ring and ask him if would be interested in giving us a brief description of the journey.

I will also give you a brief description of our Pacific coast cycle tour in the next few days.
MOCK DISCLAIMER   In case I should ever decide to stand for Parliament, I would like to apologise in advance to anyone who is deeply offended, outraged or traumatised by this post. I hope this will alleviate any future opportunistic demands for my resignation.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2019, 12:30:50 PM »
Before I met Mrs Monkey when I worked at Salisbury Transmission Ltd, Witton, little did I know she often went sailing with her dad not far from my workplace at Brookvale Park, I'm afraid sailing is up there with angling for me I can't see the attraction, probably got something to do with being soaking wet most of the time, ah well! it takes all sorts!
Peg,
P.S. Bit of license with the attachment - the lake wasn't big enough to use a spinnaker but then again wot do I know I'm a land-lubber.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2019, 09:34:12 AM »
Top of my list of leisure activities in the 50s was plastic Airfix kit construction. I started aged 5 (1954) and by 7 my ability level had risen from novice to just below rubbish but I thought I was good enough to gift a Spitfire to my best mate who lived opposite me in Heaton St, Hockley.
Woolworth's on The Flat was 10mins away and that's where I got my kits costing 2/-. One Saturday, with glue barely dry, I proudly carried my work of art to my mate's house and knocked on his door, he was delighted with his gift and invited me in saying Just what I wanted.
He was about my age and alone (not sure about the legality of that), anyway, he led me upstairs and beckoned me to wait at the top, he walked to the far end of the landing and carefully placed the Spitfire, on its stand, on a tallboy, he then disappeared into his bedroom and reappeared with an air-rifle.
I watched, bemused, as he returned to my side where he took aim at the model plane and proceeded to fire, and continued firing until it was an unrecognisable heap of plastic bits on the carpet, blissfully unaware I was horrified at witnessing the carnage.
I was absolutely gob-smacked!
Ah Well! That's life! :-[
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2019, 10:25:23 PM »
Youth Hostelling - fantastic! I must have been 12 and in the 2nd year at Harry Lucas School when Mr Watson, History Teacher, organised and led a party of about 15 lads on a ramble over the Cotswolds. We grouped at New St Station and travelled by rail to, I think Cheltenham, where we either got a bus to our starting point or just walked, (New St Station? Although that is my memory that bit does not sound correct, isn't Cheltenham Western Region? In which case we would have departed from Snow Hill?), it was only a short trip of 3 days/2 nights, our first night in Stow on the Wold and the second Bourton on the Water, had a great time but it went all too quick.
Peg.
P.S. I don't know why girls weren't invited. :-\

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2019, 11:31:23 PM »
Peg you've never youth hosteled till you've cycled all round Scotland & Wales.Great Times
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

JudithM

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2019, 01:32:42 PM »
When I was at Junior school the 4th years always used to go on a trip to the hostel at Ty Carreg in the Brecon Beacons.  You'd do orienteering and other outdoor activities (including a might time hike up one of the big hills, timed to reach the summit at midnight).

I don't really know the reasons why, but after I'd left that school a few of the teachers decided to take a bunch of former pupils from our year back there for a long weekend in winter (t was the February after we'd left).  It wasn't an official school visit by any means, just a bunch of us in a couple of mini buses & I think 3 teachers (?).  There was a boys & girls dorm, but all the kids ended up in the girls dorm, which the teachers made no effort to sort out.  Pretty sure that that sort of trip would not be allowed today  :D
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"