Author Topic: Holidays and Leisure  (Read 332 times)

townie

Re: Holidays and Leisure
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 05:13:23 PM »
You were very lucky Ed I remember Lea Village school being a dump but that was in the 60s.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2019, 11:16:54 PM »
Townie it was great in the 50s.

frederick

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2019, 07:41:08 AM »
That trip to the I.O.Man was at the same time as the T T and we were taken to see the riders go past. I wonder if the teachers that were with us had an interest in the T T.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Peg Monkey

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2019, 01:50:50 PM »
Top of my leisure activities for the years 1960-67 was my membership of the Boys' Brigade (aged 11-17) each winter on a Sunday we had a ramble in the snow over Clent Hills, had a great time, my disapperance one year into a deep snow drift amused everyone, the ramble culminated with a bowl of hot soup in a cafe in Clent.
Link Boys' Brigade Thread: http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=15028.msg668444#msg668444
Peg. O0

Peg Monkey

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2019, 12:20:16 PM »
Who's done Route 66? I'm sure a purist would argue You have to do it on a Harley, trouble is the pillion is unbearably uncomfortable (or so I've heared) and that wouldn't work with Mrs Monkey, so nearest armchair pillion I've found so far is on a Honda Goldwing - all I have to do is win the lottery and we'll be off, (Kansas? probabaly a good career move to avoid the hurricane season, we don't want a Yellow Brick Road experience). :-[
Peg.

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2019, 06:42:02 PM »
Who's done Route 66? I'm sure a purist would argue You have to do it on a Harley, trouble is the pillion is unbearably uncomfortable (or so I've heared) and that wouldn't work with Mrs Monkey, so nearest armchair pillion I've found so far is on a Honda Goldwing - all I have to do is win the lottery and we'll be off, (Kansas? probabaly a good career move to avoid the hurricane season, we don't want a Yellow Brick Road experience). :-[
Peg.

Yes, my mate Greengrass has ridden Route 66 on a Harley. He wanted my wife and I to do it with him and his partner but we had already done Colorado, Pacific coast and New England on bicycles so we declined. He has not been active on this site since 2017 but I'll give him a ring and ask him if would be interested in giving us a brief description of the journey.

I will also give you a brief description of our Pacific coast cycle tour in the next few days.
It is often possible to turn a setback to an advantage.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 12:30:50 PM »
Before I met Mrs Monkey when I worked at Salisbury Transmission Ltd, Witton, little did I know she often went sailing with her dad not far from my workplace at Brookvale Park, I'm afraid sailing is up there with angling for me I can't see the attraction, probably got something to do with being soaking wet most of the time, ah well! it takes all sorts!
Peg,
P.S. Bit of license with the attachment - the lake wasn't big enough to use a spinnaker but then again wot do I know I'm a land-lubber.