Author Topic: Holidays and Leisure  (Read 2574 times)

frederick

Re: Holidays and Leisure
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2019, 12:15:09 PM »
I've been told that my Brummy accent as rounded towards Pembrokeshire sounding. That's what comes of living with a Welsh family.    O0
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Peg Monkey

« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2019, 04:47:14 PM »
Some years ago whilst on Holiday in Scotland I paid a visit to Inverness and whilst I was enjoying pie and baked beans in a cafe I got talking to a local girl who had never been further south than Blackpool, Lord knows how but we managed to communicate.
Peg.

Spud

« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2019, 05:24:00 PM »
Many many years ago probably even 60  we went on holiday to Southsea it was a favourite of my Grand Mothers . It was a Family holiday there were about a dozen of us all born and bred Brummies . This particular day was an absolute scorcher and we were waiting for a bus to Hayling Island. My Grand Dad who had the broadest of Brummie accents went in to a nearby Pub to buy some drinks Beer for the adults and Pop for us kids . Unknown to him the licencee bred Alsatians he ordered the Pints and then asked for Four Pops [for us kids]  . The licencee looked at him a bit strangely but went into the back and came out with Four  Alsatian Pups.
I will [size=78%][size=78%]add my Grand Dad was a one off and if they did not break the mould when he was born they certainly put it to one side for a rainy dayOptimized Imagey[/size]  I am at the front of the Photo with my cousin Robert [ he is one of EIGHT Brothers] we were both born on the same day I am a couple of hours older than him my Gran and Grand Dad are behind and the lady on the left in the background is my Mother. Hate to have to correct myself but this photo is over 70 years ago taken Waverley Road Southsea
The Only Free Cheese is in  The Trap

frederick

« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2019, 06:26:02 PM »
Nice photo.    O0

Spud

« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2019, 11:16:44 AM »
Optimized Image

Just having a bit of a practice with Webresizer The Photo is Stavanger Norway when we were there in March

Peg Monkey

« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2019, 11:55:37 AM »
When facial recognition is introduced we'll be spared those embarassing passport photos - mine looks like it's from a Wild West Wanted Poster.
Peg.
P.S. Do you remember the good old days when you could share the cost of getting your passport pic from a photo booth with 3 mates? - you just had to be quick getting your place on the stool! - NOT ANYMORE! Now you can only get 4 identical pics of yourself! - That's progress!(?). :-[

frederick

« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2019, 12:45:55 PM »
Spud,
I tried using that that one. But I found that Image Optermizer is much much easier.    O0

Spud

« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2019, 01:52:57 PM »
To honest Fred I have had trouble for some time and I thought that I had  trouble after a Wndows 10 update but I gave Websizer a try it seems OK

frederick

« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2019, 03:11:03 PM »
This was taken on our way to the Sahara desert it was early in the morning, it is a salt desert the camel is made from the salt.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2019, 11:39:49 AM »
Heaton St - 1950s Although we only had a tiny backyard my dad still managed to grow a spectacular display of dahlias each year, at the end of their season he would lovingly dig up the tubers and store them in the cellar for next year, if I remember correctly next season's crop comes from a shoot from the tuber.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2019, 04:37:40 PM »
When I lived in Heaton St, Hockley our local swimming baths was Grove Lane (side of Handsworth Park) and sometimes Monument Road, when we moved to the Lyndhurst Estate our local baths was Erdington, about 15 mins walk. My mom was a good swimmer and taught me, but I wasn't a natural; on the other hand my dad drank like a fish but swam like a brick, bless him.
Peg.