Author Topic: Holidays and Leisure  (Read 1776 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Holidays and Leisure
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2019, 10:39:13 PM »
Trainspotting on The Lyndhurst Estate, Erdington early 60s - The NE boundary of the estate is marked by a railway track (originally designated The Sutton Colfield Branch, L&NWR), the main traffic being passenger DMUs (Diesel Multiple Units) but very occasionally an LMS steam loco was seen on the line (by the early 60s steam had been largely replaced by diesel). The track ran in a cutting so you had to be close to see passing trains, but, if the conditions were right, you could hear an approaching steam engine from my parents flat in Kentmere Tower and could see the smoke trail, if you were quick and ran upto the top landing of the stairwell you might glimpse the top of the loco's chimney, with a pair of binoculars, in winter when there were no leaves on the trees! Nothing to write home about, right? Well, applying trainspotting rules, as long as you had glimpsed the actual loco (even a small part of it) you could rightly claim to have spotted it and record the sighting in your Ian Allan Loco Book, I know what you are thinking: If you could only see the tip of the chimney how could you know what loco it was?  I would dash down to the railway line and hope a fellow trainspotter was still around who had identified the loco, I  remember this happening on one particular occasion when a Britannia Class Steam Loco (John O' Gaunt, if I remember correctly) passed by. O0
Peg.
P.S. The estate has changed a lot since the 1965 map: The school has gone, the playing field built on, Rowden Hall (The estate's village hall) has gone, Burcombe Tower has gone, together with Harlech Tower (the tallest block on the estate at 16 stories) and finally The Lyndhurst Pub has long been demolished.

Spud

« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2019, 02:08:40 PM »
Took this one in March just inside the Artic Circle we had a good 12 ins of Snow overnight as you can see

Optimized Image
The Only Free Cheese is in  The Trap

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2019, 03:58:08 PM »

P.S. The estate has changed a lot since the 1965 map: The school has gone, the playing field built on, Rowden Hall (The estate's village hall) has gone, Burcombe Tower has gone, together with Harlech Tower (the tallest block on the estate at 16 stories) and finally The Lyndhurst Pub has long been demolished.

I worked behind the bar at the Lyndhurst Pub for a short time in 1964. It was old money then (12 pence to the shilling and 20 shillings to the pound) and I was not very good at adding up, especially if it was a large round of drinks.
MOCK DISCLAIMER   In case I should ever decide to stand for Parliament, I would like to apologise in advance to anyone who is deeply offended, outraged or traumatised by this post. I hope this will alleviate any future opportunistic demands for my resignation.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2019, 04:03:22 PM »
A days holiday - 1955 General Election. I was aged 6 and living in Heaton St Hockley, near the rear entrance to Icknield St School, my school, Farm St, was a polling station as was Icknield St School so we were given a days holiday, my mate a couple of years older than me and living a few doors away, always on the look-out for income generation possibilites, knocked on my door and said: I reckon we can earn a few bob.........see attachment.
Unfortunately I think his negotiating strategy was flawed - he asked: Is it Ok if we parade around the streets with a placard? When he should have asked: Will you pay us if we parade around the streets with a placard? Anyway I wasn't too disappointed when the deal fell through - I just went off and played with my other mates in the Icknield St School playground.
Peg.     

Peg Monkey

« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2019, 09:38:36 PM »
Brummie of Oz? - During a family holiday to Florida, some years ago, we had to change planes at Atlanta, whilst waiting in the airport lounge I got talking to a local guy, after a while he asked me: What part of Australia do you come from?
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2019, 11:59:12 AM »
Brexit or No Brexit - Whatever the outcome surely the main question has to be: Should men of a certain age be banned from wearing shorts and flip-flops? :-\
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2019, 11:47:50 PM »
Unusual Leisure Activities - Bog Snorkelling, I have to confess, for me, it's up there with Cow Pat Winging and Ferret Legging where the appeal passes me by.
Peg.
P.S. I'm guessing making sure the ferrets are well-fed before the event starts is a must. :-[

Peg Monkey

« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2019, 09:43:25 PM »
When I lived near the Banners Gate entrance to Sutton Park Mrs Monkey and me enjoyed many a pleasant Sunday afternoon walk in the park, we would watch members of the Sutton Park Model Aero Club flying their craft and then one day we learned flying had been halted because someone had been hurt, not sure how, maybe a member of the public had strayed on to the take-off and landing strip, I can't remember the date but flying was banned for quite a while, the club is flying again I'm pleased to say.
As a youngster I built a number of model planes starting with Airfix Kits, the largest I built was a balsa wood flying glider of 6ft wingspan, which I built when I was 15/16 for the Pursuits and Projects Section of the Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award Scheme.
Peg.   

Peg Monkey

« Reply #74 on: Yesterday at 04:38:18 PM »
Model Railways - my interest started when my parents bought me a trainset one Christmas when I was about 9 and ended only a  few year ago, although in the latter years my interest was confined to reading model railway magazines. I learned recently Rod Stewart is a keen railway modeller and has been for many years, he has an impressive layout in his L.A. home, apparently when on tour he would book an additional room to accommodate his modelling interest, often building items for his layout after his gigs when you might have thought he was hell-raising.
Peg.
P.S. I've tried to learn to play the guitar on a number of occasions with limited success - the story goes: When a youngster Rod asked for a trainset for Christmas but his father instead bought him a guitar - the rest as they say is history, on the other hand I asked my father for a trainset and that's what I got! So does that mean in a parrallel universe I'm the rock-star? :-\

Spud

« Reply #75 on: Yesterday at 04:55:07 PM »
It is not that well known but one of the biggest collectors of Model Railways was Frank Sinatra
The Only Free Cheese is in  The Trap

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #76 on: Yesterday at 05:55:01 PM »
Peg,It's all about Rods Scale Model Railway in the centre of the Sun today.(Seen it over a mans shoulder in the surgery today)
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back