Author Topic: Holidays and Leisure  (Read 333 times)

Peg Monkey

Holidays and Leisure
« on: October 06, 2019, 05:29:01 PM »
A string of pearls(?!) - On the Bristol Chanel: Weston Super Mare - Burnham on Sea - Brean. Caravan at Brean Down: My dad's choice of holiday for us every year from my birth (1949) until at 14 I shouted no more!  Usually by train from Snow Hill but occasionally a car owning friend was pressed into service.
Enduring memories: Bacon and egg breakfasts, Cornish Pasties and The Hot Dog Wagon parked at the end of the Brean Down Hotel carpark.
I wonder if there is anything left of the old fort (WW1, I think) at the end of ancient Brean Down? :-\
Peg.

Peg Monkey

Re: Holidays and Leisure
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 05:42:01 PM »
Do you remember your very first school trip? I can, like it was yesterday, to Llandudno (or was it Rhyl? anyway it was one or the other). I was 7 (1956) and at Farm St Junior School, we travelled by train from Snow Hill and were left to our own devices for a couple of hours on arrival, of course we headed straight for the beach where after only a few minutes I got a massive free gift - from a seagull who had obviously had a bad curry the night before.
Ah! Happy Days.
Peg.

vamann

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 09:04:27 AM »
My first School trip was to Dudley Zoo, best part was eating my roast beef sandwiches. Second and last trip was to either Rhyl or Llandudno where we were allowed to eat egg and chips in a Cafe on our own.  You will notice my passion for food 🙂

JudithM

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 12:57:21 PM »
We went to Twycross Zoo (by coach) when I was at Infant's school.  I remember very well paying for a donkey ride & them putting one of my classmates on the donkey instead  >:(  It got sorted out though, but that is about all I can remember from the trip.

"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Peg Monkey

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 01:11:05 PM »
My first School trip was to Dudley Zoo, best part was eating my roast beef sandwiches. Second and last trip was to either Rhyl or Llandudno where we were allowed to eat egg and chips in a Cafe on our own.  You will notice my passion for food 🙂
Beef sandwiches, vamann? You must have been from one of the posh areas of Brum! Dudley Zoo - made many a Sunday afternoon visit in the 50s when I lived in Hockley, a bit easier for me to get to was Handsworth Park, every visit I looked longingly at the boats on the pool, eventually I got afloat in a canoe with mates during a break in our CSE exams 1965.
Peg.
P.S. Judging by the boatmen's expressions in the attached pic, one is just going off shift and the other coming on! Or should I say watch?

frederick

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 05:02:45 PM »
My first holiday away with the school was 1957 to the I.O.Man at the then Douglas holiday camp.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

townie

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 05:41:48 PM »
Think I only went on one school trip that was to Edan Valley to look at a dam, who on earth at about 13 wanted to look at a dam? 
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Peg Monkey

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 10:24:55 PM »
Angling - it was the most popular sport in the UK at one time, I don't know if it still is, my father and grandfather were keen anglers and in the 40s and 50s were members of the fishing club at The Bull, corner of Key Hill and Icknield St, Hockley and went on many a Sunday coach trip to fish on the Avon, Wye and Seven. I often went with my father but I didn't inherit the gene - I soon came to the conclusion it was like watching paint dry, more often as not, in the rain.
Peg

JudithM

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 01:32:00 PM »
Think I only went on one school trip that was to Edan Valley to look at a dam, who on earth at about 13 wanted to look at a dam?
I remember going to see the Grwyne Fawr Dam & reservoir in the Black Mountains on a school trip when I was 10.  Pretty impressive. 

Those were the days when you could go on a school trip and be dumped in a group without adults in the middle of the Brecon Beacons with a map & compass & left to make your own way to a certain point.  We found a dead pony, which was most interesting. I neglected to take any photos of it...
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Spud

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 02:34:40 PM »
My first school trip was 'A Visit to a Farm'  this turned out to be in Knowle this would be around 1950. We did go on to Evesham and Stratford. There was a coach load of us  we would be about 10 years old at the time. I guess in those days I was one of the few who had already been to the likes of Stratford my Dad had a motorbike. I doubt if some of the kids had never been out of Birmingham . It was a great day out sandwiches packed away in your Dad's old army haversack. I remember us singing I've got a lovely Bunch of Coconuts all the way there and back. Funny I remember if it was yesterday.
The Only Free Cheese is in  The Trap

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 04:18:34 PM »
In 1953 our school Lea Village linked up with Hope St school and went to Paris for 7 days all for 13.We stayed just outside Paris at Bourg- le Reigne,but visited all the main sites around Paris.Even hadFrench  lessons before we went.