Author Topic: Holidays and Leisure  (Read 2476 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Holidays and Leisure
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2019, 02:48:45 PM »
Peg you've never youth hosteled till you've cycled all round Scotland & Wales.Great Times
Total respect, Ed. Sounds like the sort of trip you needed to take a very, very close friend to help with the saddle sores.
Peg.
P.S. I got blisters on my feet but nobody offered to help with those.  :-\

Peg Monkey

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2019, 02:54:41 PM »
If you'd flown abroad from Elmdon in the 60s and 70s on your return you might well have seen me helping my mom get her laundry in from the roof top drying area on our Lyndhurst Estate tower block.  :-[
Peg.

JudithM

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2019, 01:09:07 PM »
If you'd flown abroad from Elmdon in the 60s and 70s on your return you might well have seen me helping my mom get her laundry in from the roof top drying area on our Lyndhurst Estate tower block.  :-[
Peg.
Where I used to keep my horse in Bickenhill was right under the flight path too - in fact some of the landing lights were in the bottom field.  One of the girls coming home from her holidays said they were low enough for her to recognise the individual horses & ponies in the fields.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2019, 05:02:12 PM »
Youth Hostelling - fantastic! I must have been 12 and in the 2nd year at Harry Lucas School when Mr Watson, History Teacher, organised and led a party of about 15 lads on a ramble over the Cotswolds. We grouped at New St Station and travelled by rail to, I think Cheltenham, where we either got a bus to our starting point or just walked, (New St Station? Although that is my memory that bit does not sound correct, isn't Cheltenham Western Region? In which case we would have departed from Snow Hill?), it was only a short trip of 3 days/2 nights, our first night in Stow on the Wold and the second Bourton on the Water, had a great time but it went all too quick.
Peg.
P.S. I don't know why girls weren't invited. :-\

My mates and I from the North Birmingham Section, Cyclists Touring Club at Stow on the Wold youth hostel, Easter 1956
MOCK DISCLAIMER   In case I should ever decide to stand for Parliament, I would like to apologise in advance to anyone who is deeply offended, outraged or traumatised by this post. I hope this will alleviate any future opportunistic demands for my resignation.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2019, 05:08:10 PM »
My mates and I from the North Birmingham Section, Cyclists Touring Club at Stow on the Wold youth hostel, Easter 1956
Great shot, Ian, who was the guy looking fed-up?
Peg.
P.S. 5 years before my stay there.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2019, 05:12:19 PM »
Annual camp when I was in the BB was a high point of the year, I particularly recall Bognor, Torquay and Minehead, when you had attended 3 camps and could supervise a team erecting and dismantling an 8-man bell tent you qualified for the camping badge.
Great times. O0
Peg.

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2019, 05:16:28 PM »
Great shot, Ian, who was the guy looking fed-up?
Peg.

He was the twin of the one in the back row. Unfortunately, I have not seen any of them in the last 60 years. I know that one, my best friend at the time, emigrated to New Zealand and unfortunately died quite young.
MOCK DISCLAIMER   In case I should ever decide to stand for Parliament, I would like to apologise in advance to anyone who is deeply offended, outraged or traumatised by this post. I hope this will alleviate any future opportunistic demands for my resignation.

frederick

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2019, 08:15:50 PM »
Ian,
Myself and my cousin went on a cycling weekend staying in a YHA with the Eagle comic cycling club, it was in the Worcester area it would be about the same time. We visited Worcester Cathedral and went inside the roof and upto the top of the tower. The Cathedral still allow groups up to the tower top.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

mike mancott

« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2019, 08:28:55 PM »
My first flight was from Elmdon.
It was in a DH Rapide, on a 15/- (75p) pleasure flight, about 30 minutes.
This was 1952.
Still at school, I had a part-time Saturday morning job. 7/6 plus usually about 7/6 tips. I blew the lot.
My mother, who wasn`t told in advance, didn`t know whether to be angry or envious, probably both.

mike mancott

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2019, 08:34:07 PM »
Like many at the time, I went on a YHA based holiday.
Cycling round the English Lake District. I took the train from New Street to Oxenholme, then cycled to my first overnight near Grasmere.
This was on my own, but there was plenty of opportunity to meet like-minded cyclists.
On this holiday my love of hill climbing was kindled, climbing Cat Bells on the evening I stayed at Keswick.
Ever since that holiday my love has been hill and mountain climbing rather than cycling.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2019, 08:51:30 PM »
If I remember correctly in the early days of the YHA you had to use only 3 modes of transport in order to stay at hostels: walking, cycling and canoeing.
Peg.