Author Topic: Holidays and Leisure  (Read 2478 times)

Edmund Fifield

Re: Holidays and Leisure
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2019, 11:29:34 PM »
Peg ,as train spotters myself and friends travelled many miles up and down the country cycling to various loco sheds and spending nights in youth hostels.What good times we had,youth today don't know how to have a good time stuck on their phones.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

mike mancott

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2019, 07:36:27 AM »
If I remember correctly in the early days of the YHA you had to use only 3 modes of transport in order to stay at hostels: walking, cycling and canoeing.
Peg.

That`s correct, and you also had to take your own knife, fork and spoon, and an inner sleeping bag.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2019, 08:19:59 AM »
Peg ,as train spotters myself and friends travelled many miles up and down the country cycling to various loco sheds and spending nights in youth hostels.What good times we had,youth today don't know how to have a good time stuck on their phones.
I get that to 4 pursuits in 1, cycling, hostelling, train-spotting and fitness - difficult to top. I was also a train-spotter and living in a Lyndhurst Tower block offered opportunities for a different form of spotting.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2019, 09:46:22 AM »

That`s correct, and you also had to take your own knife, fork and spoon, and an inner sleeping bag.
You also had to help with some of the hostel's day to day chores, my group helped peel a load of spuds for the new arrivals that day before we departed the Stow on the Wold hostel.
Peg

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2019, 02:57:40 PM »
Ian,
Myself and my cousin went on a cycling weekend staying in a YHA with the Eagle comic cycling club, it was in the Worcester area it would be about the same time. We visited Worcester Cathedral and went inside the roof and upto the top of the tower. The Cathedral still allow groups up to the tower top.

Frederick,
My introduction to Youth Hosteling was to Cleeve Hill in the Cotswolds with the same group but in the previous year, 1955. It rained solidly all day so we rode down the A38 until we got to Worcester Cathedral, and like you, we went up the tower. Still raining so back on our bikes till we got Tewkesbury Abbey and again climbed up the tower. The next day, still raining so back home along the boring A38. Not a good start - but Youth Hosteling could only get better, and it did.

However I think that weekend may explain my aversion to visiting churches and cathedrals. My wife loves it so I normally sit in a bar and wait for her to return. 
MOCK DISCLAIMER   In case I should ever decide to stand for Parliament, I would like to apologise in advance to anyone who is deeply offended, outraged or traumatised by this post. I hope this will alleviate any future opportunistic demands for my resignation.

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2019, 03:34:10 PM »
My favourite Youth Hostels were the small simple ones where the Warden did not live in. I'll always remember Nant y Dernol near Rhayader in the summer of 1955. Having cycled around the Elan Valley dams that supply Birmingham with water, my mate and I arrived at the hostel on a miserable wet evening. A group of other lads were there so, after getting the water from the spring and lighting the gas lamps, we made a log fire and chatted into the small hours with no Warden ordering us to bed at 10.30. This may seem nothing for today's youngsters but for a couple of 14 year olds, it was freedom.

MOCK DISCLAIMER   In case I should ever decide to stand for Parliament, I would like to apologise in advance to anyone who is deeply offended, outraged or traumatised by this post. I hope this will alleviate any future opportunistic demands for my resignation.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2019, 08:45:40 AM »
Leisure but not leisurely - Camping, Jim, but not as we know it: During my BB membership (1960-67) I attained The Duke of Edinburgh's Silver and Gold Awards, The Gold Expedition was gruelling: 55 miles, over 3 days, in mountainous terrain in blistering summer heat with a back pack equivalent to my body weight (or so it seemed), the attachment shows the team striking camp on the morning of the final day.
Peg.

mike mancott

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2019, 09:22:55 AM »
Nice pic;
did you use the mallet to make an indentation in the ground for your hip?

Peg Monkey

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2019, 08:46:09 PM »
Nice pic;
did you use the mallet to make an indentation in the ground for your hip?
Mike, we didn't have the luxury of a mallet, our pack weight was stripped down to the bare essentials, care was taken with our food: dry where possible for re-hydration at preparation time - Vesta Beef Curry with rice was a favourite.
I remember a paragraph from The BB's Expedition Guide:
Wash and shave as normal - there is no need to revert to a sub-human existance just because of unfamiliar surroundings.
In reality we didn't even take a bar of soap, so at the end of the expedition we were well capable of scaring old ladies and young children that we chanced opon suddenly, in truth it didn't matter, we only came into contact with a few sheep and the odd expedition official who was charting our progress.
Peg.
P.S. I was in the orange tent - no prizes for choosing a level spot.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2019, 08:49:28 PM »
My favourite Youth Hostels were the small simple ones where the Warden did not live in. I'll always remember Nant y Dernol near Rhayader in the summer of 1955. Having cycled around the Elan Valley dams that supply Birmingham with water, my mate and I arrived at the hostel on a miserable wet evening. A group of other lads were there so, after getting the water from the spring and lighting the gas lamps, we made a log fire and chatted into the small hours with no Warden ordering us to bed at 10.30. This may seem nothing for today's youngsters but for a couple of 14 year olds, it was freedom.
What a fantastic spot!
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2019, 08:58:32 PM »
Early 60s Trainspotting - I lived in Erdington but went to senior school in Hockley (it's a long story) and often I would break my journey home for a visit to Snow Hill Station where I would stay until I had seen the 7.00pm northbound Pullman from London, probably heading for Chester - can anyone confirm the destination?
Peg.