Author Topic: Holidays and Leisure  (Read 2037 times)

Ian Dalziel

Re: Holidays and Leisure
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2019, 04:45:38 PM »
What a fantastic spot!
Peg.

Yes, the nearest tarmac road was 1 mile away.

It's funny that some events stay in our memory forever. There ought to be a little alarm that rings in our brain to tell us to make the most of the experience because it is special.
MOCK DISCLAIMER   In case I should ever decide to stand for Parliament, I would like to apologise in advance to anyone who is deeply offended, outraged or traumatised by this post. I hope this will alleviate any future opportunistic demands for my resignation.

mike mancott

« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2019, 07:28:47 PM »
As mentioned previously, during a cycling holiday (1952) using English Lake District Youth Hostels, I developed a feeling for hill-walking.
The following year I went again to the Lakes, staying at a Holiday Fellowship site in Great Langdale.
A stand-alone central common room hut, female-use dormitory huts stretching left, and male ones to the right.
During the week, of good weather, we walked up many of the surrounding peaks.

Has anybody else HF holiday memories?
Mike

Peg Monkey

« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2019, 04:40:26 PM »
Up there high on my list of leisure actvities in the 50s with Airfix Kit Building was Go carting. The exact circumstances surrounding the infamous 1956 Heaton St Go cart crash have been shrouded by the sands of time (I was 7) but what is known is the cause of the crash was placed fair and square at my door.
With 3 on the cart we were descending the hill at the top of Heaton St (which is short but steep) I was pilotting when nearly 3/4 down the slope, and at near take-off velocity, the steering cord broke and all steering was lost, no severe injuries just grazed knees and bruised chins.
Accident investigators blamed my use of sash window cord well past its use-by date (carts with brakes had yet to evolve at that time), in my defense, with a budget of nil, I was forced to use whatever surplus materials I could find.
Casualties are an inevitable consequence of the progress of man.
Ah happy Days!
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2019, 09:02:41 PM »
Trainspotting - early 60s: As long as you purchased a 3d platform ticket you were welcome to stay on The Snow Hill Platforms by station staff as long as you liked, this was in marked contrast to New St where train spotting had to be a much more covert affair and where being collared by The British Transport Police was never more than a 'ello 'ello away.
It was always my intention to use the quiet time between train arrivals purposefully doing homework but I have to confess the spirit was willing but the flesh was weak.
Peg.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2019, 11:41:14 PM »
Peg,never got collard on New St,over many years.Just loved being there.But don't remember them diesels
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Peg Monkey

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2019, 02:47:55 PM »
Peg,never got collard on New St,over many years.Just loved being there.But don't remember them diesels
Hi Ed, most of my trainspotting mates, in the early 60s, spoke of being shown the exit, one time or another, by New St Station police, who quoted safety as the reason for their eviction, inevitably some PCs were more tolerant than others.
The Class 52 Westerns were in service 1961-77, 74 were built and replaced the Kings on mainline duties on the WR when steam was being replaced by diesel.
Peg.

mw0njm

« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2019, 03:40:16 PM »
Hi Ed, most of my trainspotting mates, in the early 60s, spoke of being shown the exit, one time or another, by New St Station police, who quoted safety as the reason for their eviction, inevitably some PCs were more tolerant than others.
The Class 52 Westerns were in service 1961-77, 74 were built and replaced the Kings on mainline duties on the WR when steam was being replaced by diesel.
Peg.
hi,1950/.60s we spent hours on new st spotting,we knew the staff and was friends with a wheel tapper, never got told the leave.in fact hardly ever saw the transport police.
Regards pete

Peg Monkey

« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2019, 09:29:55 AM »
Brummies travelling in a Post-Brexit Europe - The Question has to be: Will future voice-recognition software cope with The Brummie Accent?
Peg.
P.S. If The Flat, Lodge Rd, Hockley is The Brummie Accent Epicentre I was born only metres, sorry, yards, from it.

JudithM

« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2019, 01:28:20 PM »
Brummies travelling in a Post-Brexit Europe - The Question has to be: Will future voice-recognition software cope with The Brummie Accent?
Peg.
P.S. If The Flat, Lodge Rd, Hockley is The Brummie Accent Epicentre I was born only metres, sorry, yards, from it.

Voice recognition software does have a problem with this accent.  I once gave up trying to get cinema tickets for Great Park, Rubery as the system kept trying to give me tickets for somewhere in Bolton!  Having been born & raised in Solihull it isn't as if I have a strong accent either  ::)
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2019, 09:15:51 PM »
Judith I've lived in Kent for 35 years and people say what part of Bham are you from .Especially in Supermarkets O0  .
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Scipio

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2019, 09:41:14 PM »
Voice recognition software does have a problem with this accent.  I once gave up trying to get cinema tickets for Great Park, Rubery as the system kept trying to give me tickets for somewhere in Bolton!  Having been born & raised in Solihull it isn't as if I have a strong accent either  ::)

Judith it would be no good me trying to book anything with VR then because I'm broad Brummie
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain