Author Topic: Shop in 50’s  (Read 1724 times)

Jdo

Shop in 50’s
« on: October 29, 2019, 01:02:02 AM »
My mother has recently passed away. She used to talk sometimes about the shop she worked in before she got married which was called Bodnums (sorry, not sure how it’s spelt). I can find no reference to it on line so I’m hoping someone on here can help. My mother lived in West Bromwich at the time and I don’t know whether the shop was there or in Birmingham. From what she said, it sounded like a high class clothes shop, but could have been a department store with her working in the clothes department (like sitcom ‘Are you being served’). It sounded like they had gentry among the clientelle as she said Lady Austin of Austin cars fame used to shop there. As my mother was taller than was average at the time, she was also chosen to model the clothes for clients. Can anyone remember this store? I’d love to know more about it.

mike mancott

Re: Shop in 50’s
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 09:37:34 AM »
I remember in the late 1950`s/60`s there was a company named BODENHAMS, with several stores, and one was in West Bromwich.
Although it wasn`t my job, I was sometimes asked to drive my company`s seasonal collection in the Gown Van to such stores (the Salesman didn`t drive - went by train), and accompanying me would be the woman who modelled the clothing for the Buyers to view and select for ordering (most was made to order).
Bodenham`s was known for the "better" class of clothing.

mike mancott

Re: Shop in 50’s
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 11:12:50 AM »
Jdo, Bodenhams are still going in places, I think.
They have a website.

www.bodenhams.co.uk

Mike

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy