Author Topic: High Street, Erdington  (Read 10859 times)

Peg Monkey

High Street, Erdington
« on: December 10, 2019, 10:46:25 PM »
High Street, Erdington - considered by many to be one of the best suburban shopping centres in Brum. The High Street (together with the shops in Wylde Green) was our local shopping Centre when my family were re-homed from Hockley to the Lyndhurst Estate, Erdington in 1960, then not only was the High St a great place to shop but a great destination for entertainment, including The Palace Cinema and Dancehall - now sadly gone. Remember 1966?..........
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Peg Monkey

Re: High Street, Erdington
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 04:22:18 PM »
I should have included a caveat in my opening post that my memories of the High St span 1959 until my mother died in 2004, shortly after she left her Lyndhurst Estate flat for a short stay in a nursing home before she passed away.The High St changed emensely 1959-2004 (by the latter date I had moved from Brum, to seek that elusive pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, and no longer had a pull to return to Erdington) and doubtless that change has continued.
If you know Erdington you will know exactly where The High St is located, if you don't: approaching Sutton Coldfield from the City Centre up Gravelly Hill North you arrive at the well known 6 Ways, Erdington Island (this is on the outer circle 11 bus route) from there the High St runs parallel with the Sutton New Rd until it rejoins it at the Cross Keys Public House.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 12:58:28 PM »
At the northern end of the High St you'll find The Cross Keys, my dad's favourite water hole and where he swelled the landlord's profits for many years.
Unintentionally, I never went in The Cross Keys, which does, in hindsight, seem a bit odd considering my father's patronage, we did occasionally use The Lyndhurst Pub, which unfortunately had a troubled history and was closed some years ago.
Making a brief detour: instead of proceeding along High St take Edwards Rd, within a few minutes you'll pass the fire station and alongside is Erdington Technical College where I spent the first 2 years of a Mechnical Engineering Technicians Course, part of my Birfield Apprenticeship.
Peg.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 01:47:18 PM »
Last time I passed the Cross Keys it was closed and boarded up.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 04:46:47 PM »
Last time I passed the Cross Keys it was closed and boarded up.
Thanks for the sad update, Phil. :-[
Peg.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 05:09:29 PM »
iv had a few points in that pub the last time was 55 years ago

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Peg Monkey

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 06:10:48 PM »
iv had a few points in that pub the last time was 55 years ago

Thanks, Roy, as the estate agents would say Ripe for development.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 07:59:56 PM »
..........and alongside is Erdington Technical College where I spent the first 2 years of a Mechnical Engineering Technicians Course.......
It was a long day at the college: 9.00am - 9.00pm but I was fortunate, I was living with my parents on the Lyndhurst Estate, about 15mins walk from the college so I was able to break the day up going home for lunch and dinner.
Peg

Peg Monkey

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 05:06:26 PM »
Turn left as you leave Erdington Tech, take another left at the fire station and a few minutes later you arrive at Erdington Library, I spent many a session there in the late 60s and 70s in job search/company info' activity, in those days you got info' from books not the Web.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2019, 04:24:21 PM »
As you leave the library the deminutive village green is right in front of you, at least it was in the 60s, the small but perfectly formed triangle of walled greenery was eradicated some years ago as an aid to traffic flow when that end of the High St was pedestrianised.
The wall surrounding the green had a tall pillar bearing a commemorative plate, but I cant remember what was enscribed on it.
Another slight detour to the side of the library along Mason Rd (so named after Josiah Mason, philanthropist and founder of the nearby orphanage) leads to Erdington Baths. I was aged 10 and able to swim when my family moved to Erdington, my mum taught me when we lived in Hockley, our local baths there were Monument Rd and Grove Lane (alongside Handsworth Park) my mum was a good swimmer, she swam like a fish, on the other hand my dad drank like one and swam like a brick, bless him.
Peg.
P.S. My bus passed near The Lozells Girls' School on my way to my senior school: Harry Lucas in Hockley.   

Peg Monkey

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 09:31:26 PM »
Leave the baths and head back to the green, that was, and then south along the High St and after a few seconds you'll come to my dad's other favourite water hole on the right - The Swan, it was refurbished awhile ago so, unlike The Cross Keys, it should still be there for sometime. :-\
Peg.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy