Author Topic: High Street, Erdington  (Read 10860 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: High Street, Erdington
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2019, 11:07:36 AM »
Passing The Swan a few minutes later heading south in the 60s you encountered Foster Bros. on your left - a great boys and menswear store (that found a place in every major high st )- now sadly no longer exists.
The place where I was kitted out ready to start senior school Sept 1960.
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2019, 07:57:08 PM »
Crossing the road from Fosters and heading south, in a few seconds you were at Littlewood's, great store now long gone, the cafeteria did a more than reasonable pie and chips, do you remember within the store was The Index retailing division? - similar to Argos, I think I'm right in saying Littlewood's exists now only as a catalogue mail order entity.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2019, 05:21:04 PM »
Crossing the road from Fosters and heading south, in a few seconds you were at Littlewood's, great store now long gone, the cafeteria did a more than reasonable pie and chips, do you remember within the store was The Index retailing division? - similar to Argos, I think I'm right in saying Littlewood's exists now only as a catalogue mail order entity.
Peg.
I last used the Erdington store March 2004, I can be fairly precise because my mum was moving into a nursing home and I needed a sack truck to move her things - got a great one from Index. The very last time I used Littlewoods was the Blackpool Store, shortly after Littlewoods became defunct (2004).
The littlewoods Empire, which started with Littlewoods Pools, at its peak was one of the largest employers in Europe.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2020, 07:28:06 PM »
Leaving Littlewoods, crossing the road and heading south you arrived at the Hight St - Wilton Rd T Junction (Woolworths, long gone, occupied a corner position here, I don't know what the store became) on the High St opposite Wilton Road is the Roebuck Pub, the Roebuck has occupied that position for many decades (my memory goes back to 1960, but the pub existed long before that) The old Roebuck was demolished when the precinct was developed, which included a new Roebuck. The pub has gone through a bad patch in recent times, the last I heard, it was boarded up and efforts to re-open it were being met with stringent requirements from the licensing authority.
Peg. 

Peg Monkey

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2020, 09:48:07 PM »
Leave The Roebuck, turn left and within seconds you were at The Palace Cinema and Dance Hall, I used the cinema many times in the early 60s but the Dance Hall was demolished before I was old enough to use it, The Palace and the Dance Hall were demolished at the time the precinct was created, but, unlike The Roebuck, replacements were not incorporated into the precinct development.
Happy New (Brexit) Year :-\ .
Peg.

Scipio

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2020, 09:24:36 PM »
Leave The Roebuck, turn left and within seconds you were at The Palace Cinema and Dance Hall, I used the cinema many times in the early 60s but the Dance Hall was demolished before I was old enough to use it, The Palace and the Dance Hall were demolished at the time the precinct was created, but, unlike The Roebuck, replacements were not incorporated into the precinct development.
Happy New (Brexit) Year :-\ .
Peg.

Peg what a brilliant film The Trap was
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Peg Monkey

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2020, 10:17:12 AM »

Peg what a brilliant film The Trap was
It certainly was, Sci, when you consider co-star Rita never said a word!
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2020, 07:26:45 PM »
Leaving Littlewoods, crossing the road and heading south you arrived at the High St - Wilton Rd T Junction ......
Sorry folks, slip of the pen - should be: High St - Barnabas Rd T Junction. :-[
Peg.

Scipio

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2020, 07:44:28 PM »
Sorry folks, slip of the pen - should be: High St - Barnabas Rd T Junction. :-[
Peg.

Come on Peg you're usually so descriptive and pictorial
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Peg Monkey

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2020, 09:48:13 PM »

Come on Peg you're usually so descriptive and pictorial
Working on it Sci O0
Peg.

Abt

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2020, 04:14:45 PM »
Must mention, as a very old Erdingtonian that the High Street was and still is called The Village.
shopping was always done 'up the village'

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy