Author Topic: High Street, Erdington  (Read 10863 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: High Street, Erdington
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2020, 09:09:18 PM »
As you leave The Palace Ballroom (which incidently also had tennis courts and a cafe within the complex) turn left, stay on the same side of the road and minutes later you arrive at the old parish church of St Barnabas, built in 1823 the church roof and all but one stained glass window were destroyed by fire in 2007 (arson was suspected), re-building looked doubtful but repairs were completed in 2012 and now the church has great facilities including a cafe. O0
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2020, 09:19:22 PM »
Leave The Roebuck, turn left and within seconds you were at The Palace Cinema and Dance Hall, .........
The Palace opened in Dec 1912 and closed Aug 1972, If I remember correctly the last film to be shown was Oliver starring Ron Moody.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2020, 11:43:14 AM »
It's 1969, you've got a glamorous young lady on your arm, you are standing at the junction of Church Rd and High St looking at the shops beyond at the place to be on a Saturday Night, what do you see? -  The furniture shop? - almost correct, Mothers Night Club on the first floor above it.
Formerly known at The Carlton Ballroom the venue ranked amongst the top nightclubs in the UK, regularly hosting some of the top bands in the world, including Pink Floyd, The Who, Deep Purple, Judas Priest and Black Sabbath.
Here's the puzzle - with the club, seemingly, having everything going for it, it only lived 29 months: Aug 68 - Jan 71.  :(
Peg.
Mothers Wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothers_(music_venue)

Peg Monkey

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2020, 01:40:22 PM »
Leave Mothers cross the High St back to St Barnabas', head to the Church Rd junction  and on the far corner is the High St's 4th pub - The Acorn, I never went inside so I can say alot about the place, I'm not even sure if it's still there :-\ , anybody got any intel?
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2020, 09:13:49 PM »
It was a red letter day for the owners of High St shops when they learned plans had been passed for the giant Lyndhurst Estate nearby. Work started on the estate (some 10-40 mins walk from the High St, depending on what part of the estate you walk from to where you walk to on the High St) in the early 50s and the last building to be constucted was the Lyndhurst Pub in the late 60s.
The land had been  previously sparsely populated with large houses with large gardens, and there could not have been a single High St trader who would not have benefitted from the increase in the local population.
Here's a question - Where's the best place to build an estate of tower blocks (the tallest 16 stories on a hill)? The answer:  On the filght path to Elmdon Airport - or so it seemed the planners thought at the time. :-\
Link Lyndhurst Estate: http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=15020.msg667442#msg667442.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2020, 12:08:31 PM »
c1970: Leaving The Acorn and staying on the same side of the road, as you walked towards 6 Ways, within seconds you arrived at Taylors - Edrington's only true department store, where you could get anything from a toothbrush to an automatic washing machine. Their cafe was the favourite Saturday lunchtime destination for the future Mrs M and me - they served great Danish style open sandwiches.
It was then early in our relationship the future Mrs M labelled me a cheapskate, we were engaged and getting bottom drawer things when whilst in Taylors' electrical dept I noticed a Hoover spin drier on special offer - it had beed drastically reduced because the Hoover badge had been stuck on upside down - it stiil  would work the same it was just a cosmetic fault - future Mrs M was unmoved by my persuasive argument and insisted we pay full price for one with a badge the right way up.
Taylors became Owen Owen, not sure of the date, probably c1972, but I'm happy to be corrected. Sad when the store closed to become an indoor market, don't know what it is now.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2020, 10:53:41 AM »
Do you remember Green Shield Stamps? (Wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Shield_Stamps) When the Palace complex and Old Roebuck were replaced (c1972) with The Precinct there was a Green Shield Stamp redemption store built at the far end on the left, the enterprise became Argos, the store remained for sometime and was then replaced by the main Post Office, after that it became a household bargains shop.
I don't know what it is now. :-\
Peg.

Scipio

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2020, 08:37:21 PM »
Do you remember Green Shield Stamps? (Wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Shield_Stamps) When the Palace complex and Old Roebuck were replaced (c1972) with The Precinct there was a Green Shield Stamp redemption store built at the far end on the left, the enterprise became Argos, the store remained for sometime and was then replaced by the main Post Office, after that it became a household bargains shop.
Peg.

Yes Peg I remember them , do you remember John Bloom(Rolls Washing Machines) my sister bought one late 50's early 60's and got what appeared to be a million GS stamps we were licking and sticking in books for ages . To be honest though I can't remember what she surrendered the stamps for giftwise .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Peg Monkey

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2020, 09:00:49 PM »

........ do you remember John Bloom(Rolls Washing Machines).......
That's a blast from the past Sci- wasn't he selling stuff about 1/4 price of similar items?
Peg.

Scipio

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2020, 09:03:27 PM »
That's a blast from the past Sci- wasn't he selling stuff about 1/4 price of similar items?
Peg.

Yes possibly Peg , that's probably why he went bust .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

JudithM

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2020, 01:19:00 PM »
Peg.
I remember Green Shield Stamps, we seemed to get them from all sorts of places (I'm sure the milkman was one of them), and I remember going with my parents to redeem them as the store in Solihull (which later became the Argos, which is still there).  I remember the excitement of waiting for toys to come up on the conveyer belt  :D
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy