Author Topic: High Street, Erdington  (Read 10858 times)

frederick

Re: High Street, Erdington
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2020, 02:10:21 PM »
I still have a working two K fan heater which I had from the green stamps.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Peg Monkey

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2020, 04:21:08 PM »
Do you remember Green Shield Stamps?
The value of each stamp was 0.033p: 3030/£1, so the Viners Cutlery Set (purchase price in 1972: c£10), I saved for needed 30,300 stamps. :-[
Peg.
P.S. We still use the set everyday, I originally thought: Viners: Good Sheffield Stainless Steel, FOREIGN is stamped on the knives.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Scipio

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2020, 07:29:08 PM »
The value of each stamp was 0.033p: 3030/£1, so the Viners Cutlery Set (purchase price in 1972: c£10), I saved for needed 30,300 stamps. :-[
Peg.
P.S. We still use the set everyday, I originally thought: Viners: Good Sheffield Stainless Steel, FOREIGN is stamped on the knives.

Good thread Peg , Embassy cigarette coupons next .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Peg Monkey

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2020, 04:29:30 PM »
Do you remember Radio Rentals? - Every High St had a store, in Erdington it was a few doors away from Fosters. The company started in 1930 (predating the first BBC TV transmission by 6 years) renting radios. The early TVs were expensive to buy and lacked reliability (the operating system was based on valves which were easily damaged and didn't last long) so renting was an attractive option, but as TVs got cheaper and more reliable (when transistors replaced valves) renting became less popular. The company became defunct in 2000 but still operates in Australia under the same name.
I don't know why renting is still popular with the Aussies. :-\
Link: Wikipedia Radio Rentals: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Rentals
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2020, 04:37:55 PM »
I still have a working two K fan heater which I had from the green stamps.
Crikey, Fred! GS stamps were withdrawn 1991, that makes your heater at least 29 years old. O0
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2020, 11:27:13 AM »
...... The early TVs were expensive to buy ......so renting was an attractive option......
In the early days of radio and TV rentals they were a favourite of burglars and many people didn't find out until it was too late that you had to include the equipment on you household contents insurance policy (if you had one!) so if the equipment was stolen you had to meet the full replacement cost.
Peg.
P.S. Gas meter robbery was also rife then with poor families often robbing their own meters - but it was only short term relief - the contents of the gas meter remained the householder's responsibility until taken by the gas company so you still had to pay whether you stole it or a thief!

JudithM

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2020, 01:17:23 PM »
Do you remember Radio Rentals? - Every High St had a store, in Erdington it was a few doors away from Fosters. The company started in 1930 (predating the first BBC TV transmission by 6 years) renting radios. The early TVs were expensive to buy and lacked reliability (the operating system was based on valves which were easily damaged and didn't last long) so renting was an attractive option, but as TVs got cheaper and more reliable (when transistors replaced valves) renting became less popular. The company became defunct in 2000 but still operates in Australia under the same name.
I don't know why renting is still popular with the Aussies. :-\
Link: Wikipedia Radio Rentals: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Rentals
Peg.
I had my first colour tv & video from Radio Rentals.  They were so expensive to buy back then, so renting was the only option.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Peg Monkey

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2020, 12:32:52 PM »
Old Burtons The Tailor branches - all had a snooker hall above, originally snooker was frowned upon as a dubious pastime, now a fantastic way to make a fortune through a career that can be as long as you want! Mentioning no names, one top player was encouraged by his mother to take up the sport seriously at aged 15 and he never looked back! - Never wrote a CV or applied for a job - now there's a thought!
Peg.

Scipio

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2020, 07:28:18 PM »
Old Burtons The Tailor branches - all had a snooker hall above, originally snooker was frowned upon as a dubious pastime, now a fantastic way to make a fortune through a career that can be as long as you want! Mentioning no names, one top player was encouraged by his mother to take up the sport seriously at aged 15 and he never looked back! - Never wrote a CV or applied for a job - now there's a thought!
Peg.

Peg years ago people knowing you frequented a snooker hall would say you had a mis-spent youth . I must have been doomed then , I spent enought time in the Rex Williams snooker hall(underneath Piccadily Arcade) and upstairs in Yates's around the corner
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Peg Monkey

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2020, 01:41:50 PM »
Ansells Timber - I was about 11 (1960) when I first got into DIY, this coiniced with my first year at senior school when my woodwork classes started, from that time (until I got married 1972 and moved to Tamworth) my favourite timber merchant was Ansells in Barnabus Rd, just off the High St, alongside Woolworths. There's been a parking issue in the High St for as long as I can remember and unfortunately Ansells didn't have much in the way of parking so if you needed a meaningful amount of timber there might be a challenge and this probably contributed towards Ansells' demise. I suppose it was sometime in the mid 70s when I turned up one day to find the gates closed never to open again.  :(
The site became a pub.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2020, 02:55:46 PM »
Our walk along the High St ends at the 6 ways Island which is where my final destination of note was located - The Queen's Head - the High St's second hotspot on a Saturday night, the function room at the rear hosted many top bands, I particularly remember The Idle Race - fantastic. O0
Now the site is a residential development: Queen's Court, I guess the same fate awaits The Cross Keys.
The map attached shows the places along our way, unusually (at least I thought so) postal address do not begin at the "city end" of the High St, 1 High St is Abbey Fireplaces, but if you Goolge 1 High St, Erdington, you get the address 1-7 High St for that enterprise, I think it's something to do with freeholds - the shop is on the southern corner of the Catholic Erdington Abbey complex.
Peg

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy