Author Topic: High Street, Erdington  (Read 10864 times)

Scipio

Re: High Street, Erdington
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2020, 07:17:38 PM »
Our walk along the High St ends at the 6 ways Island which is where my final destination of note was located - The Queen's Head - the High St's second hotspot on a Saturday night, the function room at the rear hosted many top bands, I particularly remember The Idle Race - fantastic. O0
Now the site is a residential development: Queen's Court, I guess the same fate awaits The Cross Keys.
The map attached shows the places along our way, unusually (at least I thought so) postal address do not begin at the "city end" of the High St, 1 High St is Abbey Fireplaces, but if you Goolge 1 High St, Erdington, you get the address 1-7 High St for that enterprise, I think it's something to do with freeholds - the shop is on the southern corner of the Catholic Erdington Abbey complex.
Peg

Peg, Greg Masters(Idle Race) used to work for Durrant and Willetts in Livery St , I worked for the company that took them over . One day he popped in to our place to see one of his former workmates , he mentioned he had just moved house and when the residents seen the eqipment going into his house , they formed a committee to get him out .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Peg Monkey

« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2020, 12:29:44 PM »
ERRATUM - Sorry folks, I've been referring to The Precinct incorrectly in my posts- the correct postal address is Central Square.
I was sad to hear Mothercare has closed all UK stores, :(  there has been a branch in the Central Square since it opened.
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2020, 12:38:49 PM »
I was waitng for the 64 bus at the 6 Ways Island one weekday evening late 60s c5.30pm (I worked in Witton and lived with my parents on The Lyndhurst) when I saw Roy Wood approaching the island on Reservoir Rd (in his smart pale blue Mercedes), he turned left at the Island and headed for Sutton, I did wonder if he had just checked out the function room at the rear of the Queen's Head prior to a gig, but that's just wild speculation.
Don't Know Roy? Wild man of the 60s, member of rock bands: The Move, Electric Light Orchestra and Wizard, an emensely talented muscian who played a multitude of instruments, he was born in Kitts Green and received an honoury doctorate from the University of Derby for his contribution to Rock.  O0
Peg.
Roy Wood: Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Wood

JudithM

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2020, 01:25:30 PM »
I was waitng for the 64 bus at the 6 Ways Island one weekday evening late 60s c5.30pm (I worked in Witton and lived with my parents on The Lyndhurst) when I saw Roy Wood approaching the island on Reservoir Rd (in his smart pale blue Mercedes), he turned left at the Island and headed for Sutton, I did wonder if he had just checked out the function room at the rear of the Queen's Head prior to a gig, but that's just wild speculation.
Don't Know Roy? Wild man of the 60s, member of rock bands: The Move, Electric Light Orchestra and Wizard, an emensely talented muscian who played a multitude of instruments, he was born in Kitts Green and received an honory docterate from the University of Derby for his contribution to Rock.  O0
Peg.
I bumped into Roy Wood in Bull Ring market the once in the early '80's.  It was a Saturday morning & he was with his wife shopping amongst the veg stalls.  He had his full Wizzard make up on....

A very talented man.  I was always impressed with the 'all voices, all instruments by Roy Wood' disclaimer on his albums.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Scipio

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2020, 08:32:33 PM »
Don't Know Roy? Wild man of the 60s, member of rock bands: The Move, Electric Light Orchestra and Wizard, an emensely talented muscian who played a multitude of instruments, he was born in Kitts Green and received an honory docterate from the University of Derby for his contribution to Rock.  O0
Peg.

Peg one winter evening leading up to Christmas 1960's the future wife went into Boots opposite the Odeon New St . I stood outside in the doorway, a minute or two later a couple urned up the young lady went inside the man stood outside . It was only when my young lady came out, I looked and realised who was facing me Roy Wood , I saw Roy about ten years ago in the Bell on Birmingham Road not the lean lad I saw in the 60's . I know we all have to get old but wear clothes that suit or is sympathetic to your physical excesses .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Peg Monkey

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2020, 01:55:40 PM »
Late 60s - Night Service Buses - great service! I think they ran from midnight to 6am. I used the 64 to get from the city to the Lyndhurst Estate many times, only one bus an hour, higher than normal fare but much cheaper than a taxi, I got the bus in Steelhouse Lane by the Nurses Home, if I'd had a few jars of lemonade I was absolutely desperate for a pee by the time I got to Six Ways, Erdington - there was a public loo by the island and even though it was only another 10 mins to my stop I just couldn't make it - it was then 45mins walk home, but I was used to that walk after a gig at the Queen's Head.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2020, 12:30:11 AM »
Early 60s - I was interested in photography from about 8 with a good old Kodak Brownie 127, fixed focus, no adjustment of any kind and no flash but I still managed to get a half decent pic, not long after moving to the Lyndhurst Estate (I'm now about 11) one year when we were on a caravan holiday in Brean Down (near Weston) my photography moved to a higher level when my mom buys me a Kodak Instamatic - easy film loading, the film was contained in a cartridge, still nothing in the way of adjustment but it did have a hot shoe for a flashgun, but here's the best bit! I could now take colour slides - fantastic!
There was a great little photographic equipment shop a few doors along from the Swan Pub and my dad bought a Gnome Projector and a screen, the projector gave good service for decades and then I upgraded awhile ago to an all singing all dancing auto everything projector, I've got loads of slides but we just don't look at them anymore, I've still got the screen - still as good as new. O0
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2021, 09:03:57 PM »
iv had a few points in that pub the last time was 55 years ago

Anyone know wots happened to The Cross Keys?
Peg

Trixsie

« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2021, 04:44:01 AM »
My boy friend and me often went to Taylors Dept Store on Saturdays in our courting days in the early 70s, they had a small cafe on the first floor which served great Danish open sandwiches.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2022, 11:03:52 AM »
Anyone know wots happened to The Cross Keys?
Peg
Can anyone give an update on the fate of The Cross Keys?

lmr3103

« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2022, 06:17:29 PM »
I don't know Peg but I've got a cousin in Erdington, I'll ask. Last time I was in the High Street there, a couple of years ago, it all looked very sorry for itself. Not the street I remember from my childhood sadly.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy