Author Topic: Steam Engines  (Read 1497 times)

mike mancott

Re: Steam Engines
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2020, 08:22:46 AM »
Used to spend many evenings in late 50's and early 60's on Tyseley Bridge train spotting with my mates Graham and Roger. Would not leave until the six o'clock King had passed under the bridge and we got a face full of smoke! We loved watching the pannier shunting in the goods yard, but never had ambitions to become train drivers. Still a sad person as I still write the numbers down when visiting preserved railways and enter them in my 1960 combined ref, which is now getting tatty!

Happy Days, Ed and Wally. I`ve just come across a greetings card, with 2819 hauling a mixed goods, passing through a station - "Acocks Green and South Yardley".

JT

Re: Steam Engines
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2020, 07:36:06 AM »
Spent many hours on Tyseley bridge with my two brothers having walked from Sparkbrook, do you remember the pong of the Bakelite factory and the Smiths Crisps vans rolling by ? The highlight of most days we were there was watching in amazement as W17W trundled through towards the city. I took a train the other day from Tyseley to town, first visit in over sixty years, looks a sorry sight these days but at least unlike my brothers and W17W it's still there and full of happy memories.