Author Topic: Steam Engines  (Read 6288 times)

mike mancott

Re: Steam Engines
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2020, 08:22:46 AM »
Used to spend many evenings in late 50's and early 60's on Tyseley Bridge train spotting with my mates Graham and Roger. Would not leave until the six o'clock King had passed under the bridge and we got a face full of smoke! We loved watching the pannier shunting in the goods yard, but never had ambitions to become train drivers. Still a sad person as I still write the numbers down when visiting preserved railways and enter them in my 1960 combined ref, which is now getting tatty!

Happy Days, Ed and Wally. I`ve just come across a greetings card, with 2819 hauling a mixed goods, passing through a station - "Acocks Green and South Yardley".

JT

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2020, 07:36:06 AM »
Spent many hours on Tyseley bridge with my two brothers having walked from Sparkbrook, do you remember the pong of the Bakelite factory and the Smiths Crisps vans rolling by ? The highlight of most days we were there was watching in amazement as W17W trundled through towards the city. I took a train the other day from Tyseley to town, first visit in over sixty years, looks a sorry sight these days but at least unlike my brothers and W17W it's still there and full of happy memories.

Gwladmab

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2021, 05:23:04 PM »
Spent many hours on Tyseley bridge with my two brothers having walked from Sparkbrook, do you remember the pong of the Bakelite factory and the Smiths Crisps vans rolling by ? The highlight of most days we were there was watching in amazement as W17W trundled through towards the city. I took a train the other day from Tyseley to town, first visit in over sixty years, looks a sorry sight these days but at least unlike my brothers and W17W it's still there and full of happy memories.
Tysley station does bring some happy memories back to me. Back in the late 50’s early 60’s we would travel from there to our Christmas outing from the Bakelite, usually a pantomime in town. Those steam engines coming into the satiation were so frightening to a 5 year old but fascinated by them, 60 years ago. Dad and most of the family work at the Bakelite dads clothes stunk of the place when he came home from work.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2021, 05:57:30 PM »
Still have loads of photos taken at Tyseley from the 50s.

Forgot to say, Taken with MY BROWNIE 127.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Gwladmab

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2021, 09:57:17 AM »
Still have loads of photos taken at Tyseley from the 50s.

Forgot to say, Taken with MY BROWNIE 127.
The Brownie 127, I remember mom and dad having one of those, it accompanied us on our holidays. It’s funny I can remember mom saying especially when something happened in the house that would have been worth a photo ‘ I wish I had an indoor camera’.

Would it be possible to post some of the photos of Tysley station on the forum Ed?

I think about 4 years ago Hornby released a Commemorative Tysley train set. I may have mentioned it on the forum at the time  O0

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2021, 10:15:28 AM »
Don't know how Gw, I only have a Tablet. Will ask my daughter to help
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Gwladmab

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2021, 02:45:19 PM »
Don't know how Gw, I only have a Tablet. Will ask my daughter to help
A bit like me Ed, have iPad and that’s all, I can’t do any fancy stuff.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy