Author Topic: The Clock at Bicknell  (Read 369 times)

JudithM

Re: The Clock at Bicknell
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 12:54:19 PM »
A shame there's so little photographic history of the area - it's a very ancient settlement and features in the Domesday Book. I guess no one thought fields and farms worth recording. At least, Judith & LORZ, you've recorded more details for posterity.

Here in Jersey, our airport development since 1937 has wiped out the community which was there before - homes, shops, churches, lanes.

Yes, it is a shame.  I guess people don't often think to take photos of things they see every day.  We need the Elmdon/Solihull equivalent of Phyllis Nicklin to emerge!

I have some photos of ponies, and me on ponies, but none of the buildings are in the background of any of them.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

RoyMcC

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2020, 10:36:43 AM »
And all the features lost to the airport development. You'd have been able to stroll across the A45 and over to Marston Green back then and hardly see a car. Though I guess if the airport hadn't been built the area would have become a Chelmsley-like suburb of Brum anyway.

JudithM

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2020, 01:34:17 PM »
And all the features lost to the airport development. You'd have been able to stroll across the A45 and over to Marston Green back then and hardly see a car. Though I guess if the airport hadn't been built the area would have become a Chelmsley-like suburb of Brum anyway.
I don't know about the last part.  Much of the area around Castle Hills is green belt, and other than the bits lost to the runway extension, it's all still there & fields.  It's just the bit adjacent to Coventry Road that's gone there, and the Damson Lane side, which Alan Hadley sold to the council in the '70's when Damson Parkway was being constructed.  The woods & fields behind that are still there.  Looking at satellite imagery on Google maps, there's a great deal that I recognise as unchanged.

On this -

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.4361156,-1.7391179,1219m/data=!3m1!1e3

Castle Hills farm is roughly in the centre, with the new loop of Coventry Road at the top on what used to be the lower fields of Ralph Hadley's land.  My horse was in the 4 interconnected fields directly to the right of the farmhouse.  I can make them out as clear as anything.  Sadly, the stable yard I used, which was between Castle Hills Farm & Coventry Road has gone.  There is just some shrubby land there by the looks of it.

The Whar Hall farm land was to the left by where Damson Parkway is, the other side of what's labelled Low Brook on the map (I always thought it was just a drainage ditch - so something new learned today!)
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"