Author Topic: Marks and Spencer  (Read 2237 times)

Spud

Marks and Spencer
« on: February 13, 2020, 04:01:12 PM »
Marks and Spencer are to close their Mel Square  shop in Solihull next year. Their shop on the Sears Retail Park in Shirley is to be extended
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

frederick

Re: Marks and Spencer
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 04:13:33 PM »
I read that the one in Sutton Coldfield as closed. It's the Internet shopping that's doing it. I have been to our nearest M and S I was in there yesterday, recently I have bought three shirts two jumpers and a pair of trousers from there. The Debanams just along from m and S have closed and it a big shop to fill.

Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

robx52

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 04:14:50 PM »
I wonder if the sears outlet extension is to make room for a fashion department,as its food only at the moment. Shame about the Mel square shop, dont think Beaties has long to go. I personally, never got over the closure of Elizabeth the chef.

Spud

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 04:31:23 PM »
I don't know much more about the  M&S closure from my retail contacts. I am just guessing that they may be taking on the old Homebase shop which is empty . As regards  House of Fraser in Solihull it is more like the Marie Celeste there has been rumours and threaten closure for some time but I believe there is something in the leasing contract holding up proceedings
Going in to Birmingham and the Bull Ring Centre the HMV Store had closing down posters plastered across the windows a few weeks ago but it now seems that they are to continue trading. They do of course have a large store in Dale End been in there its a bit of a desert.
But Primark continue their march I understand that are looking to employ more managers at the High St Store in Birmingham

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 07:05:31 PM »
And in a few years ,they'll be closing down and sacking all the managers.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

JudithM

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 01:27:24 PM »
I wonder if the sears outlet extension is to make room for a fashion department,as its food only at the moment. Shame about the Mel square shop, dont think Beaties has long to go. I personally, never got over the closure of Elizabeth the chef.
Loved Elizabeth the Chef  :)

I think it's a great shame that the Mell Square store is to close.  To me, Sears is just another soulless out of town retail park.  Great if you have a car, not great if you don't.  It's not a place to wander round & browse.

I grew up in Solihull & still meet up with friends & relatives there.  Each time I go the whole Mell Square area looks more & more deserted.  I know Touchwood took a lot of trade away from the streets, but there were still the big stores out there - Beatties, HMV, M&S, BHS.  They are all gone, or going.  It's sad.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Spud

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 01:36:15 PM »
It is sad about M&S and Solihull Shopping in general even the Post Office has moved into W H Smith.  I know what Ed said about Primark but they have surprisingly been going for more than 50 years but certainly at the moment they seem to be pleasing a section of the Public. The group which they belong to have a turnover over over £15 Billion  with a profit of over £1.4 Billion giving its shareholders a nice little dividend of 46p eps.

baz

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 08:18:35 PM »
I nearby Crewe, M&S opened a food - only store on the new retail park. They then closed their old store in the centre of Crewe. Next they took over the next door branch of Halfords, extended into it and now they have a clothing dept., a restaurant and toilets.
From what I read on here it looks like they plan to do it nationwide. I my opinion it's a good thing but sadly c,ontributes to the desolation of Crewe town centre.

Spud

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 10:44:36 AM »
Actually Marks did have a small food store on the Stratford Rd in Shirley it was closed a few years the premises is now an Argentinian Steak House which does not look as if it will last. Of  course Marks was in direct competition with the likes of Aldi Lidl Sainsburys Tesco etc.
The existing M&S premises on The Sears Retail Park is fairly small selling only food although it has a small Cafe it seems to do quite well. If they do take over the now empty Homebase Store  which has two floors I would think that the floor area would be increase 5 or 6 fold and clothing would be an obvious choice to fill the space the only immediate competition would be The Next Store just across the road and  I would think with the expected extra footfall Car  Parking may be a bit of a problem at peak times.
 M&S they also opened a huge store in Longbridge on the Old Austin Rover site a couple of years ago. I understand that is not doing as well as expected. To boost sales Marks insisted that each employee had one of their store cards.

Witnall cookie

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 04:14:25 PM »
M&S store card is run by one of the high street banks. To qualify for their store card you have to have a credit score check, not all employees would pass this check. M&S promote these cards in all of their stores.

Spud

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 04:30:51 PM »
Yes HSBC run M&S Store card both my wife and I have one. And I have on good authority from an employee about employees having M&S store Cards perhaps saying M&S insisting employees had a Store card is a little harsh but they were 'encouraged ' to take out a card  to meet targets.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy