Author Topic: Marks and Spencer  (Read 2234 times)

JudithM

Re: Marks and Spencer
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 01:01:21 PM »
Actually Marks did have a small food store on the Stratford Rd in Shirley it was closed a few years the premises is now an Argentinian Steak House which does not look as if it will last. Of  course Marks was in direct competition with the likes of Aldi Lidl Sainsburys Tesco etc.
The existing M&S premises on The Sears Retail Park is fairly small selling only food although it has a small Cafe it seems to do quite well. If they do take over the now empty Homebase Store  which has two floors I would think that the floor area would be increase 5 or 6 fold and clothing would be an obvious choice to fill the space the only immediate competition would be The Next Store just across the road and  I would think with the expected extra footfall Car  Parking may be a bit of a problem at peak times.
 M&S they also opened a huge store in Longbridge on the Old Austin Rover site a couple of years ago. I understand that is not doing as well as expected. To boost sales Marks insisted that each employee had one of their store cards.

I do wonder about the future of the store at Longbridge.  I have used it, but not often & only really used the food hall at that.  It doesn't help that there aren't too many other shops on the site.  It's not terribly big to start with, but there are only about half a dozen shops, plus a big Sainsbury's & the M&S, so there is not much variety for a retail park.  One of the units I think is still empty & the shopping centre has been open for a good few years now.

"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Spud

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 01:56:53 PM »
Just back from Shirley and Solihull  Looks as if work The old Homebase Shop on the Sears Retail has started and it can only  be a matter of weeks before Lidl's open up in the old Toy R Us shop the signs are up and the shop fitting well underway.
Looking around Solihull it is beginning to look a sorry sight with the impeding closure of M&S next year The Trespass Store Edinburgh Mill and Millets are all closing their stores we went in House Fraser all but deserted the number of unmanned counters is amazing it looks as any repair work is at best put the back burner or even just forgotten about One of the automatic Doors at the entrance of the store has been out of order for at least 6 months.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2020, 02:49:44 PM »
Spud when we had the small hotel in the early 80s people started going on the cheap holidays to Spain.We could not better the price so decided to sell up ( At the time hotels here were converting to DSS).We managed to sell,but a week before we left our council said we had to start to pay Business Rates for the year.This amounted to £3,600 a year.I was so glad we got out early.Dread to think what these big stores have to pay now with Business Rate,Rent !Electric Water & Wages.No wonder they are closing
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

JudithM

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2020, 01:15:46 PM »
Spud when we had the small hotel in the early 80s people started going on the cheap holidays to Spain.We could not better the price so decided to sell up ( At the time hotels here were converting to DSS).We managed to sell,but a week before we left our council said we had to start to pay Business Rates for the year.This amounted to £3,600 a year.I was so glad we got out early.Dread to think what these big stores have to pay now with Business Rate,Rent !Electric Water & Wages.No wonder they are closing
Very true.  Maybe the shop rental space at Sears is cheaper than Solihull town centre.  The council tax etc would most likely be the same, but rent & building maintenance would possibly be cheaper - especially the latter as the building would be more modern & 'simpler' than the current store.  It might cost less to heat & light as well.

It's another reason that online is so much cheaper too.  An out of town warehouse with a few staff is cheaper to run than a 'proper' shop.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2020, 08:26:34 PM »
Another thing.We have looked round for a standard type up light  at most stores with a reading light halfway down.Most good lights were £35-45.Looked on Amazon,£25 with free delivery here in 2 days .

Spud

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2020, 10:55:31 AM »
It quite amazing just how quick Amazon deliver sometimes  its only 24 hours before you get your stuff and  they keep you up to date if there is a delay.
Just going back to M&S again and their High St Birmingham store there has been a rumour going around the Retail Trade that they maybe closing one Floor. Racks sorry House Fraser have closed their Top Floor including The Restaurant some months back.
Talking to my Daughter she made a statement which really never crossed my mind Primark do not have an Online order/delivery service granted there is  a   limited  selection on Amazon and yet they still seem to prosper

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2020, 11:29:33 AM »
Spud,the wife bought me 2 nice crew neck  sweaters 100% cotton£8 each from Primark yesterday.

Same in M&S £25

Spud

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2020, 12:55:44 PM »
Bet you'll look the Dogs ED  O0

JudithM

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2020, 01:07:49 PM »
It quite amazing just how quick Amazon deliver sometimes  its only 24 hours before you get your stuff and  they keep you up to date if there is a delay.
Just going back to M&S again and their High St Birmingham store there has been a rumour going around the Retail Trade that they maybe closing one Floor. Racks sorry House Fraser have closed their Top Floor including The Restaurant some months back.
Talking to my Daughter she made a statement which really never crossed my mind Primark do not have an Online order/delivery service granted there is  a   limited  selection on Amazon and yet they still seem to prosper
With Primark, they sell that cheaply that they can compete with the online retailers.  That said, I find their quality shocking.  Sizes are all over the place and the material quality is so poor that things often lose their shape after one or two washes.  I've bought t-shirts from them in the past & thrown them away after a couple of wears.  I have an M&S jumper that is around 20 years old now & still as good as the day I bought it.

I suppose shutting a floor (and therefore not having to heat & light it) is better than closing a whole store.  With Rackhams, I suppose some of the franchises in there moved out when there was uncertainty over it's future when HOF went in to administration.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2020, 02:17:08 PM »
Judith.Got out an old photo album on Tuesday. On one photo I had a T shirt on which I remember buying from Primark 21 yeArs ago.And it's still in good shape and still fits O0

[size=78%]You bet Spud[/size] ;D ;D

JudithM

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2020, 12:41:31 PM »
Judith.Got out an old photo album on Tuesday. On one photo I had a T shirt on which I remember buying from Primark 21 yeArs ago.And it's still in good shape and still fits O0

Lucky you.  I bought 3 about 15 years ago.  Despite all being the clothes size, one didn't fit & had to go back, one fell apart after 2 wears & the 3rd so distorted after one wash it got relegated to the pile of clothes I would wear when decorating  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy