Author Topic: changing password or cancelling my account  (Read 94 times)

stevejarvis3

changing password or cancelling my account
« on: April 24, 2020, 04:22:41 PM »
Hi

THIS IS DIRECTED AT THE ADMINS OF THIS FORUM

Im currently the subject of a blackmail email attempt and in it it says it has my password, the password I use to log onto this forum page and have used nowhere else!

Today I've logged into Birmingham Forum and tried to change my password, several and many times but each time it turns to RED and all the boxes go blank so I tried again and again and again and again and again and each time I get the same result even though I tried a different password each time.

I then thought OK if that doesn't work I`ll just delete my account, but guess what it then says to do that  you need your current password to do this and so I enter my password, the same one only minutes ago I`d used to log onto Birmingham Forum but each time I try to do this the password box goes blank and there`s a message saying something like `incorrect password`

Not only has your forum been HACKED and probably every user of Birmingham Forum websites details and password been hacked, BUT there`s something wrong with your website as well as it wont let you update your profile or delete your account!

I've tried to involve the police in this but they passed me on to Action Fraud and they wont take calls from you and need 24 hours to raise an account for you so that you can fill in a report online.

This isn't very nice at all.

As I cant change my password on this site or even DELETE my account can I ask the moderators of this account TO PLEASE DELETE MY ACCOUNT FOR ME? CAN YOU ALSO SEND CONFIRMATION TO MY EMAIL ADDRESS WHEN THIS HAS BEEN DONE SO I DONT CONTINUE TO WORRY ABOUT THIS????

Thank you

Steve Jarvis

Spud

Re: changing password or cancelling my account
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 04:46:05 PM »
Steve
Could I suggest that you send a personal message direct to one of our Moderartors 'roy one' . You post may well get overlooked. I will send him a message also drawing his attention to your problem.
The Only Free Cheese is in  The Trap

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 05:19:18 PM »
hi steve  im having a word with the owner see what he comes up with

I was able to go in my profile and able to delete my account    roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 05:44:08 PM »
Steve,

The forum hasn't been hacked otherwise every member would be getting blackmail attempts. Even if the forum was hacked a hacker could not obtain passwords, as they are not stored in the database. Only hashes of passwords are stored. When you log in and type your password it is converted to it's hash and compared to the hash stored in the database when you joined. It is impossible to calculate your password from it's hash.

If your blackmailer has told you what your password is, he must have got it by some other means. If they have only said that they know what it is then they are most probably lying in order to fool you into coughing up.

However to put your mind at rest, I have permanently deleted your account as requested.