Author Topic: Mackadown Lane, Tile Cross  (Read 1869 times)

john

Mackadown Lane, Tile Cross
« on: May 10, 2020, 04:38:04 PM »
My first post on here but I have read quite a lot of others especially the Tile Cross posts.
So yes, that's where I lived from the age of 5 to 11, 1962 - 1968, 212 Mackadown in the maisonettes on the right heading toward the railway bridge.  These were immediately after the EPE works.
Many good memories of the area and all seemingly mentioned by others at some point.  The 'tip' opposite where we spent many many hours playing, the land between the houses and the railway accessed via the public footpath that ran between the maisonettes and EPE (this led across the railway to Garretts Green Trading Estate) - and also accessed from Stockton Grove where my Great Grandmother lived, or from the track adjacent to the railway bridge that ran behind the houses at that end.  This expanse of land is now an office furniture warehouse I believe – spoilt the view from our place.  The footpath is still there but a footbridge now crosses the railway.
We also spent a good deal of time playing on the land in front of the EPE by the 2 brick buildings and beyond by the trees and small spinney.
Before Chelmsley estate was built we ventured there at times usually from by the Bell Inn along the river but also from Tile Cross Road; and also spent a lot of time on the waste land behind the prefabs on the right of the lane after you pass under the bridge.  This was seemingly a huge area where we were were undisturbed to do whatever we wanted.  And behind the prefabs on the left of the lane (again after going under the bridge toward the Radleys) there was also some land we could play on.  Our access to this was often from the bottom of Fastmoor Oval where the stream ran under the railway through a brick built tunnel. We would take off our shoes and socks and paddle through the water to the other end - I'm sure that tunnel is still there.
The 'rec' between St Giles Rd and Tile Cross Rd behind St Peters Church was also a place of regular visits - so much exploring at such an early age.  Remember the snow of winter '63?  Dad bought me and my brother our first sledge and we could use it in the road as it was virtually traffic free.
Going back to my early years does anybody remember the 2 (?) cottages that were around where the EPE land bordered the lane?  These were rumoured to be around 400 years old, one of the teachers from Shirestone lived in one until they were demolished, now the Mackadown Sports & Social Club.  Opposite the maisonettes one of the houses had a little shop in the front room where we could buy sweets . . . . . !     On the opposite side to the EPE and all the way down toward the Doctors at the junction with St Giles Rd were prefabs.
I went to Shirestone School until we left the maisonette for a new house on Chelmsley, just off Tile Cross Rd. Unfortunately I was ill at that time and don’t recall being able to say my goodbyes to friends.  Talking of friends, quite a few but my memory for names isn’t brilliant but I do remember:  Francis & David Wallace(next door), Carole and ? Moore(next door), opposite were Tina ? & ? & Jane, (Beauchamps?) next to the entrance to the tip , Beverley, Wayne, Tina, Susan, Sandra & ?, Billy and more.

Edmund Fifield

Re: Mackadown Lane, Tile Cross
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 06:40:45 PM »
Played football on the field behind EPE  for many years till 1958-59 Also on Donkey hollow  down Lea Hall way behind the Garage  on the Dual carriageway.by the railway bridge.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

gary_m_walton

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 10:16:31 PM »
Hi John and nice to read your post. I went to Tile Cross primary and recall the scrap yard you mention. We were massive marble fans and wanted to get ball bearings from the yard but we failed. I think that perhaps Mark Eaton lived in those maisonettes???? He went to TCP also. Do you recall the tips that lined st Giles road by St Peters Church???? All the best, Gary
Now, where did I put my time machine ....

john

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 10:30:58 AM »

Don't recall Mark at all.  The only tip I recall was the one that was between Mackadown Lane & St Giles Rd, an area where we spent many many hours.  This was all levelled and grassed and is now an open space area with a number of vent tubes visible to allow for the venting of any methane gas that occurs.

Gwladmab

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 05:42:52 PM »
John, you’ve brought back a few memories to me from reading your post. I lived just off the Radleys in  Williston Rd from around 1959 to 1962, my older brother went to Elms Farm school and later to Sheldon Heath Comp. I do remember the prefabs along the Radleys and Mackadown Lane and can recall regular but very uncomfortable trip across the waste ground in a pushchair going to visit my uncle in Boyne Rd. He had a bungalow that was in a self-build scheme in those days. I can remember going to the doctors and the Wellfare clinic on the Radleys, usually for immunisations. I seem to remember the clinic was more or less opposite the petrol garage near the turning for Mackadown Lane. We moved away from the area to another part of Brum for a while and then we returned to live on Chelmsley Wood, just off Bosworth Drive/Chapel House Road in 1968 and left there in 1976. Your post reminded me of the scrap yard. I spent many a cold winters day being dragged down there by my older brother and dad for a part for the car. Usually something like a starter motor or a dynamo in those days. I spent a bit of time hanging around the chip shop in Tile Cross. When we moved into Chelmsley I was sent to Alderlea Boys School, Shard End.

GardenGerald

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 09:31:16 PM »
Hello Gwladmab
Were you bottom of the class every year before you went to the approved school. Always told you to go
to Loxton Street best school in Brum. My Dad went there and left in 1888.
Do you think we should get rid of Boris. Lots of problems with his EU deal. HS2 will now stop at six stations between London and Birmingham.
The idea of 200mph seems to have gone through the window.
My good pal Ed go and smash that greenhouse up, we paid for it and and still pay all running costs. UK growers get no help.
How is your new gun inhaler going, you will soon be on the moon. Mackadown Lane was a good place to take the girls, nobody heard the screams of delight.
Take care
Gerald.

Gwladmab

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 06:10:51 AM »
Hello Gerald my old mate, lovely to hear from you. I did my best to stay away from main stream school, the school of life was so much better. The only time I pitched up at school was at exam time, this was only so my parents could see my exam results to show that I had attended school. The stream I was in was so bad I usually came fourth out of a class of 30, and that was because I was the only one that could spell my name by the age of fourteen.

Looks like HS2 is now the slow train on the down-line rather than the fast train on the up-line, what a waste of money and destruction of people’s homes, businesses and the countryside. Money would be better spent on local transport improvements. Many places are looking at opening up lines that were closed over 50 years ago. Not a bad idea for some places. Get viable freight back on the rails.

As for Boris, what can I say what ever colour your politics I wouldn’t want his job. Plus he got flattened by C19. I think he got the PM job in a ‘perfect storm’. This usually ends in disaster. I also think we need to focus more on what is happening locally, ie Mr Kahn the Mayer of London and with our heritage. The past is the past, it should not be hidden or forgotten, if it is forgotten very little learning will take place.

Don’t get me started on UK growers. The latest is the re-wilding of the countryside. I think this is a brilliant idea and was a brilliant idea in the past for the uplands. However, this time around they want us to re-wild good pasture. Say a lovely hay meadow, that has taken many years to get into good productive land. Part of it will be underwater for wild life, no fertiliser or manure will be allowed. If you are taking out of the ground something needs to be put back in to replenish the soil. I’m afraid Ed’s greenhouses will not sustain this country and if we more reliant on food from other countries or national security is at risk. Plus, we will have less to trade with, our lamb is exported across the globe. I’ll get off my soap box now and have a cuppa.......Gwladmab

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 10:33:50 AM »
 ;D ;D O0
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

GardenGerald

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 06:52:16 PM »
Hello Ed
Was a murder committed in that area and when sentenced the guilty man was told by the Judge..I do not see one spark one spark of decency in you.
Behave and avoid the rope.
Take care
Gerald

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy