Author Topic: Hair pin manufacturer. Balsall Heath.  (Read 532 times)

cocacolakid

Hair pin manufacturer. Balsall Heath.
« on: May 11, 2020, 01:57:01 PM »

I recall there being a place on the Mosely Road, by the Moseley School of Art in the 1950s. When walking home from the Dennis Rd 2nd year annexe, in the old church hall on the corner of Runcorn Rd, I and my mates used to find quite a lot of ladies hair pins on the footpath, they were spilled when being loaded on to vans. We used to pick some up and we fired them from an elastic band stretched from finger to thumb (Boys will be boys)  I can't find any reference to the maker of these hair pins in that location ( they may have been distributers} Anyone on here have any info, pictures?  Thanks!

Malc.   
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Hair pin manufacturer. Balsall Heath.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 02:16:28 PM »
 in the late 1940 there was a lady's hair pin factory  by Angelina street well in the road next to it by the black  patch  I did the same with (elastic band stretched from finger to thumb ) I can not remember the name of the road or the name of the factory  it was well over 70 years ago
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

cocacolakid

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 02:47:39 PM »
in the late 1940 there was a lady's hair pin factory  by Angelina street well in the road next to it by the black  patch  I did the same with (elastic band stretched from finger to thumb ) I can not remember the name of the road or the name of the factory  it was well over 70 years ago

Thanks for reply, Roy.  I am particularly looking for info of one by the Moseley School of Art, opposite the swimming baths. If there wasn't a maker or distributer of ladies hair pins by there, I am mystified as to how we lads used to regularly find them there.  Good to hear you had fun with them, too. 
                                                                                             Malc.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 03:17:14 PM »

Thanks for reply, Roy.  I am particularly looking for info of one by the Moseley School of Art, opposite the swimming baths. If there wasn't a maker or distributer of ladies hair pins by there, I am mystified as to how we lads used to regularly find them there.  Good to hear you had fun with them, too. 
                                                                                             Malc.

hi malc     

I lived in lime grove for four months that would about 19 60    the  hair pin factory sorry can not recall it  roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

cocacolakid

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 03:31:58 PM »

Thanks anyway, Roy. It will have to remain a mystery as to how the hair pins came to frequently be on the path by the art school, unless anyone else on the forum knows something.

Malc.

mikejee

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 11:17:41 PM »
From the 1955 Kellys directory:

498 to 506 Kirby, Beard & Co. Ltd. pin, needle &hairpin, manfrs

498 to 506 Butcher J. H. & Co. Ltd. transfer printers

Moseley Road Secondary School of Arts & Crafts

here is Lime Grove
Boys' Brigade HQ of 10th Birmingham Co

cocacolakid

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 10:02:14 AM »

Mikejee..      Thanks for that. Seeing the name Kirby makes total sense, as I am sure we have all heard of Kirby Grips, our mothers used them. It is not surprising that they made hair pins too, a similar item! Thanks again Mike, another mystery solved.  Seems that they shared premises with Butcher transfer company, as address is the same.

Malc.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy