Author Topic: Information on Nechells and possibly the Brindles  (Read 1142 times)

Brindle

Information on Nechells and possibly the Brindles
« on: May 31, 2020, 11:25:03 AM »
Hello, I'm looking for information on William Henry Brindle (who lived as far as I remember in Nechells.  In  the 1891 Census, his parents lived at 2, Court 6 Aston Manor, Warwickshire. They had children Mary G Brindle, Amelia B Brindle, Ada Brindle, William H Brindle,  Joseph Brindle, Arthur C B Brindle and Walter T Brindle.

My father was called Brindle and had a brother called William, sister Minnie and others that I cannot remember. My father had 6 children. I stayed with my father's parents occasionally in Nechells when I was young but do not know the exact address, only that it was in a back to back house down a Court. There was toilet block at the end. I used to go and collect beer from the 'Public House' in a large white jug. Cannot remember the name of the pub. I would like to find photos of the area to see if I am able to recognise the Court. Any information on the family or back to backs would be very much appreciated.
Thanks

GardenGerald

Re: Information on Nechells and possibly the Brindles
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 03:51:27 PM »
Where did they work. Brindle and Brindley were well known names in Birmingham prior to second world war.
Gerald.

Brindle

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 05:13:54 PM »
Hello Gerald, Thanks for getting in touch. It says in the 1901 census, William Henry was aged 18, he was a 'MACHINIST AMMUNITION BULLET (MAKING)' and his estimated year of birth was 1883.
His residence then is listed as 'residence note' Reginald Road, Aston.
I believe his father was William B Brindle (then aged 43) and his mother was Mary R Brindle (aged 42).
William Hemry's brothers and sisters were named, Ada Brindle, Marion Brindle, Joseph Brindle, Arthur C Brindle, Walter T Brindle and Minnie F Brindle.
In the 1911 census he is listed as living at 3 Brighton Terrace Mount, ST Nechells, B'ham and was listed as a labourer. He was married to Mary (Maria). He received a war pension for 1914/18 War, Royal Regiment of Artillery (RH $ RFA) (Short Service Attestation). I don't know what he did after that. In the late 1950's he had diabetes and had to have a leg amputated.  Thanks

GardenGerald

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 05:17:43 PM »
Hello
Look at Birmingham Wholsale Markets. Its a name I heard my GDad mention.
Gerald.

Brindle

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 05:22:27 PM »
My father, used to work at the B'ham Wholesale Markets for a while as a delivery driver for potatoes, etc. I seem to recall that the BSA was a place that perhaps William H Brindle worked at some point. My father during the war worked as a milkman and then later at Austins, Longbridge where he lost the tip of his little finger in a press. That was after the war though.

mikejee

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 10:22:45 PM »
William Henry Brindle , with his wife Maria, seem to be listed on the electoral rolls from 1922 till 1957 at 3 Brighton Terrace  Mount St (later described as 3 back 76 Mount St)

Brindle

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 08:41:52 AM »
Hello Mikejee, Thanks for the reply. I have been trying to discover where '3 Brighton Terrace  Mount St (later described as 3 back 76 Mount St)' was exactly located. I have not been successful. However, with the information you have provided it would appear that the Court was located at the end of Stanley Road where Blythe Valley Ltd is now located.  I can remember going to stay with my Grandparents a couple of times and them giving me a large white jug to go and collect the 'ale' from a pub that must have been very close as I was not very old. Have you any idea what that pub would be close to that address? I have looked at numerous photographs of Courts and alley ways but I have not seen anything like the layout that they had at their property. I remember that you left the main road and went through an archway where there was a court with a communal washing line that went down the Court. As far as my memory goes, along both sides of the Court there were numerous houses in pairs with tiny yards/spaces that were shared between two houses. On each side of the yard there were narrow kitchens that led into the very small living rooms. Small windows from both houses looked directly into the yard. It must have been around 1954  because I can remember watching 'Rintintin' on a television there and that was first shown in 1954. You had to leave their little yard to go to the toilet block which was down the Court. There were several cubicles with numbers on and I was always told to use the one with whatever number they told me to use. This is one I believe they shared with other households. Thanks for your reply

mikejee

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 04:45:04 PM »
Brindle
On this site you are very limited as to the size of attachments, but I hope the map  c1950 below makes it clear where 3 Brighton Terrace is  (in red on the map). Obviously the road going across the bottom r.h. corner id Mount St, and the road cross the top r.h. corner is Austin St

Brindle

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 05:29:20 PM »
Thank you Mikejee. I would have had little chance in locating that.

TeriC

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2022, 11:59:17 AM »
My family were at 1 Brighton Terrace. My mother was Beryl. On the 1939 Register, the Brindles are still at 3 Brighton Terrace.  William and Maria, and their children, Charles, [size=78%]Joan (later Davis) and William.[/size]

Brindle

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2022, 03:45:30 PM »
interesting to hear that you used to live at No 1. My older brother and myself occasionally went to stay with our grandparents. I don't suppose you have photos of the houses, etc.? I've tried to discover photographs of the court but have not been successful. My grandfather had diabetes and had his leg amputated. I remember that well. I also remember them having a TV in their small room and us watching Rin Tin Tin on it. As that was first broadcast in 1954, I would have been 6 and my older brother 8. I can recall being give a large white jug and being sent to the local pub to get it filled with ale.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy