Author Topic: Kings Heath illuminated map  (Read 967 times)

Godber

Kings Heath illuminated map
« on: June 07, 2020, 10:13:14 PM »
Hello all, this is my first post on the forum and it’s a question. Does anyone remember the map of Kings Heath located in front of the Kingsway cinema, close to Darlaston’s newsagent? Set in a steel case (painted blue?) with a glass front, it had a row of buttons along the bottom, each one labelled with various points of interest and amenities like public parks, toilets, churches etc. Pressing a button illuminated small lamps on the map where these things were. I’m talking the Seventies here. No one I’ve ever asked remembers this, so I’d really appreciate it if someone here who does could confirm this thing existed, especially if they can post a photo, otherwise I’ll have to accept I’m entering my inevitable descent into madness. Many thanks in advance.

emerald

Re: Kings Heath illuminated map
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 11:17:32 AM »

Hello Godber.
I vaguely remember these type of maps. I think we used to press buttons and the small bulb would light up. I didn't live in Kings Heath but they must have been in different areas.
I have tried to look it up but can't find one. Just thought i would tell you you aren't imagining it.

Godber

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 11:25:30 AM »
Thank you emerald, thinking about it these things were probably quite common in towns and cities but I only recall seeing this one. It’s a reflection of the times that I don’t remember it ever being vandalised...something like that would be destroyed within days, now.

emerald

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 11:37:09 AM »

Welcome to the forum. Join in with us on any topic we are a friendly bunch. O0
Stay safe
Emerald

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 11:42:52 AM »
godber 

yes welcome to you   I had a look to see if I could find one or at least a photo   sorry for delay    in replying   but I feel a sleep roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Godber

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 12:50:07 PM »
Hello Roy, thanks for the warm welcome O0  The “map stand” stood quite close to the telephone box. I remember waiting for the 35 bus there as a nipper and seeing how many lights I could illuminate in one go.

haggie1964

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 11:42:59 PM »
ive got a picture of one but not kings heath, used to press buttons after saturday morning matinees early 70's

Godber

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 06:20:07 PM »
That’s the kind of thing, Haggie! That one looks slightly more modern than the one I remember but I may be wrong. Thanks for the picture!

haggie1964

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2020, 05:59:07 PM »
remember the town ones having the roller attachment for a-z on bottom, once bulbs went they didnt seem to be quick at replacing but thats birmingham works dept

Bagpuss

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2020, 06:34:11 AM »
At last!!  Someone else that remembers these. I thought that I was going mad, too. There was one in Yardley, right by the Yew Tree pub. I used to walk past it every day on my way to school, Trying to see if I could light all the buttons at once by using my arms

There was also one in Acocks Green, I can't remember where that was but I thing that It was close to the row of bus stops by Woolworths. Would love to see another photo of one of these

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy