Author Topic: Old Sparkhill  (Read 845 times)

Spud

Old Sparkhill
« on: June 28, 2020, 11:42:09 AM »
This Photo has been doing the rounds on one of the Social Media Platforms. No seems to recognise the building on the left which looks like a Cinema. The Photo shows Stratford  Road Sparkhill and that is Nansen Rd on the immediate left with 'The Cinema' on the corner. Does anyone recognise it as a Cinema and what was its name. From my memory I seem to remember being told of a Cinema on the site prior to the last War. Since then I know it has been a Billiard Hall and Car Showroom

The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

AWJD

Re: Old Sparkhill
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 06:00:06 PM »
I believe the picture of the Sparkhill Picture Palace which was opened in 1911. It was re-named the Savoy Cinema in 1923 and was closed in 1928.

Spud

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 06:34:37 PM »
I believe the picture of the Sparkhill Picture Palace which was opened in 1911. It was re-named the Savoy Cinema in 1923 and was closed in 1928.

Thanks AWJD There was some dispute on Face Book about this being a Cinema I had a recollection it was the Picture..... something but could not bring it to mind

AWJD

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 06:39:26 PM »
What I find interesting with the picture is trying to date it - in particular, was this taken in the 1910's or the 1920's. Having done a bit more research, it is not entirely clear which name came first although I believe this picture shows it as the Savoy Cinema.

Spud

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 06:58:04 PM »
You maybe correct when it became a Billiard Hall this would be after the War I am fairly certain it was still called The Savoy my Dad played there.
I just could bring to mind the name when it was a Cinema I knew it was The Picture .... something. But got a little mixed up with the Picturedrome which became The Piccadilly . Thanks again that has put my mind at rest and shot a few down who would not believe there was once a Cinema there

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy