Author Topic: Effort to identify someone living at 79 Ryland Road in Edgbaston.  (Read 896 times)

Brindle

Hello, Does anyone know how to search the Census records for 1911 or thereabouts for the occupants living at a specific address in Birmingham? My family are trying to identify someone from between 1911 to perhaps 1921.
The address is 79 Ryland Road in Edgbaston. If it’s possible to look at a census for 1911 or 1921 or thereabouts then the person we are looking to identify may have lived at that address. Thanks for any help.

Alberta

Re: Effort to identify someone living at 79 Ryland Road in Edgbaston.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 07:48:49 AM »
Have just searched Ryland road in 1911 and some of the entries are missing but may be out of order.
The entries go 74, 78 , 80.
A surname would help.

Alberta

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 08:22:31 AM »
Some roads have entries listed odds apart from even numbers but ryland road is mixed.
If you do not wish to disclose the name you are searching for on forum contact me by message.

Brindle

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 07:13:54 PM »
Hello Alberta, Thanks for your reply. I have managed to locate the name of the person I was trying to identify. We have photographs of a soldier who had died of influenza in Italy at the end of World War 1. He was engaged to my Great Aunt and she had kept a folio sacred to his memory. Several of the photographs were taken in a garden with a family in the garden of 79 Ryland Road. I have since managed to identify the family as that of Charles and Margaret Bland and the soldier to whom my Great Aunt was engaged as Eric Alfred Bland. If you have any more information on Eric it would be appreciated. Thanks

Alberta

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 07:22:14 AM »
Hi, he was registered Alfred Eric Bland but appeared to use Eric on some occasions.
1911 census
Address 90 Gough Street Edgbaston.

Charles Thomas Bland age 51  Pattern maker for Iron foundry,
Margaret Harman Bland age 48
children Mabel 24,Percival Charles 22,Ethel 20,Harold 18
Alfred eric (law clerk) 16
Hedley thomas 14,Hilda 12,Eveline 8,Kathleen 4
plus a servant and 2 boarders.

Thomas Bland died on 27th June 1917 address given as 79 Ryland Road.
The house in Gough road would have been larger than Ryland Road perhaps children and boarders left and to use todays phrase they downsized for some reason.

Alfred tried to enlist a few times but was turned down on medical grounds but finally accepted on
5th October 1916.
He was described as a clerk, 5ft 8ins with 31inch chest, his next of kin, his mother .address given as 79 Ryland Road (was his father in ill health perhaps )
He served in France and Flanders and then granted 14 days leave in October 1917
He was then posted to Italy where he was employed as a clerk on Headquarter staff but died of Influenza on 15th November 1918. he is buried in Montecchio Italy.

His brother Percival went to live in Canada working for the Hudsons Bay co,
He volunteered  in june 1915 and in the Canadian Infantry he was sent to France and was missing on the Somme on 15th September 1916 , he is commemerated in Courcelette British cemetery.

Brindle

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 08:26:20 AM »
Thanks Alberta, for the comprehensive report on Eric and his brother Percival. A great shame my Great Aunt couldn't live their lives together. To have survived the Great War and then die of influenza was tragic. They would have all been looking forward to Eric's homecoming. Thank you for your help.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy