Author Topic: Brum & Covid  (Read 6391 times)

Spud

Brum & Covid
« on: August 08, 2020, 12:50:01 PM »
We had not been into to Birmingham for over 5 months but its Saturday a lovely morning and the enemy wants a new top for a little do we are going to in a couple of weeks time. Sporting our Hogwarts Face Masks we jaunt down to our nearest Railway Station about a dozen people on the platform all with face masks at the ready. Dead on time our Train arrives everyone keeping their distance and masked up. Another 20 join our ranks at Hall Green our train has  barely 10% occupancy and no more hardy souls join our number by the time  we pull into Moor St. One thing that has already struck me at not one of the Stations or on board the train has there been an announcement about compulsory face covering. Black mark West Midland Railway. The one way system for exit and entrance to Moor St works well  these are well separated and the door for exiting the station has not been used since Adam was in Pampers is now being Utilised.
Over the road pick up my Daily Mail [ W H Smiths on the station is closed]  and into the mighty Bull Ring Centre
Again the vast majority  of people are masked but it seems that some of the youngsters [teenagers] feel immune to Corona Virus and foolishly decide  to ignore the ruling. But paying customers are few and far between and some shops are still closed. Selfridges are dishing out face masks as you enter well done to them and they are actually open. Already I am feeling s bit sorry for our second city. The one way system around is a bit of fun if you have a morning to spare give it a try.
On to Grand Central another sad sight the Flag Ship Store  once belonging to John Lewis is no more than a mausoleum a number of shops Cafes Restaurants look as if they have given up the ghost. At this rate It could be years before we are anywhere near getting back to normal.
By this time we have had enough like or loath the New Birmingham is a sad sight to any Brummie. We grab a coffee and Tea Cake on our way  to Debenhams her last and only chance to get that special top she is wearing heels this morning you can almost hear their echo as she clip clops to sales counter to pay sorry for me to pay. The Good news is there is a 70% discount. The bad news is  there is probably  at least 70% reduction in the footfall in Birmingham City Centre but wait a minute what's that on the horizon ..... Primark two three four bags at a time are being disgorged from this Emporium of the Throw away fashion. I half expect Pack Horses to be hitched to a rail outside but I jest and decide to leave dear old Brum. Sorry  to say it may be some time before we venture once more in to breach of what was once a thriving bustling Brum  ??? ???

The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Scipio

Re: Brum & Covid
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 09:19:48 PM »
We had not been into to Birmingham for over 5 months but its Saturday a lovely morning and the enemy wants a new top for a little do we are going to in a couple of weeks time. Sporting our Hogwarts Face Masks we jaunt down to our nearest Railway Station about a dozen people on the platform all with face masks at the ready. Dead on time our Train arrives everyone keeping their distance and masked up. Another 20 join our ranks at Hall Green our train has  barely 10% occupancy and no more hardy souls join our number by the time  we pull into Moor St. One thing that has already struck me at not one of the Stations or on board the train has there been an announcement about compulsory face covering. Black mark West Midland Railway. The one way system for exit and entrance to Moor St works well  these are well separated and the door for exiting the station has not been used since Adam was in Pampers is now being Utilised.
Over the road pick up my Daily Mail [ W H Smiths on the station is closed]  and into the mighty Bull Ring Centre
Again the vast majority  of people are masked but it seems that some of the youngsters [teenagers] feel immune to Corona Virus and foolishly decide  to ignore the ruling. But paying customers are few and far between and some shops are still closed. Selfridges are dishing out face masks as you enter well done to them and they are actually open. Already I am feeling s bit sorry for our second city. The one way system around is a bit of fun if you have a morning to spare give it a try.
On to Grand Central another sad sight the Flag Ship Store  once belonging to John Lewis is no more than a mausoleum a number of shops Cafes Restaurants look as if they have given up the ghost. At this rate It could be years before we are anywhere near getting back to normal.
By this time we have had enough like or loath the New Birmingham is a sad sight to any Brummie. We grab a coffee and Tea Cake on our way  to Debenhams her last and only chance to get that special top she is wearing heels this morning you can almost hear their echo as she clip clops to sales counter to pay sorry for me to pay. The Good news is there is a 70% discount. The bad news is  there is probably  at least 70% reduction in the footfall in Birmingham City Centre but wait a minute what's that on the horizon ..... Primark two three four bags at a time are being disgorged from this Emporium of the Throw away fashion. I half expect Pack Horses to be hitched to a rail outside but I jest and decide to leave dear old Brum. Sorry  to say it may be some time before we venture once more in to breach of what was once a thriving bustling Brum  ??? ???

Yes terrible to read about and also to experience , I used to live just off Broad St during the 50's and 60's I was in the town day in day out and remember the hordes of people regularly shopping there it brings a feeling of sorrow to read such posts such as your's Spud . Will it correct itself , I know not ,I would like to think so .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 10:16:03 PM »
Brum & Covid

at one time we was made of strong stuff but i think that gone away covid has made a change to to the way we deal with things to the way we think about each other a very dear friend of ours has had this covid but she was strong and put up a fight for life she now thinks different about life and what is important in life i have no wish to go in to brum        its not going to go away sorry  to say
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

frederick

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 10:00:58 AM »
Spud,
A very good view of today's Burm. Unfortunately our cities will become like the smaller towns and villages ghost areas. And with Internet shopping on the increase the ghost cities won't recover.     :(     The only thing people will go to town for is for a coffee.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Spud

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 01:22:15 PM »
Spud,
A very good view of today's Burm. Unfortunately our cities will become like the smaller towns and villages ghost areas. And with Internet shopping on the increase the ghost cities won't recover.     :(     The only thing people will go to town for is for a coffee.
Thanks for your comments Fred. Sad about Brum. We could go to Solihull is closer but Brum Has that X Factor. My mate Umberto has opened an Italian Cafe just opposite Waitrose on Stratford  Rd so another option for our Expresso. But she likes to try on a few bits of ladies' clobber and I love to see her when she emerges from the Changing Rooms  in a a new dress or shoes. She has a lot to put up with living with me . Yep we buy on line most of my Music comes on line either down loads or a CD depending on the Artist. But  seeing her opening a parcel from the likes of Hobbs or Phase 8 is worth waiting for. I'll tell what really got up my nose on Saturday while we were waiting for our Train at Moor St a bunch of  lads got off a train no masks  just deliberately ignoring the use of Masks and not being challenge just ain't right. We will go again to Brum but give us a few weeks.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 03:49:35 PM »
yesterday popped in to tesco to get a bit of shopping i parked the car and a car pulled up next to me i was just sat there looking at the small list that i had to  i case i had forgot some thing i got out of my car to get a clean mask out of the boot  then A VOICE SHOUTED AT ME FROM THE DRIVER OF THE CAR NEXT TO ME WHERES YOUR FFFFFFING MASK OR ARE YOU DIFFRENT I WAS AT THE BOOT END OF MY CAR WITH THE BOOT OPEN  i then pulled out a mask and put it on     well the look he give me   i just give him a smile     has i do

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2020, 04:33:17 PM »
ITS THEIR  TYPE THAT WANT A CORK NOT A MASK IN THE MOUTH
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Scipio

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 07:04:32 PM »
yesterday popped in to tesco to get a bit of shopping i parked the car and a car pulled up next to me i was just sat there looking at the small list that i had to  i case i had forgot some thing i got out of my car to get a clean mask out of the boot  then A VOICE SHOUTED AT ME FROM THE DRIVER OF THE CAR NEXT TO ME WHERES YOUR FFFFFFING MASK OR ARE YOU DIFFRENT I WAS AT THE BOOT END OF MY CAR WITH THE BOOT OPEN  i then pulled out a mask and put it on     well the look he give me   i just give him a smile     has i do

Good for you Roy waste of time arguing with such numbties .
Mark Twain

Scipio

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2020, 07:09:51 PM »
Brum & Covid

at one time we was made of strong stuff but i think that gone away covid has made a change to to the way we deal with things to the way we think about each other a very dear friend of ours has had this covid but she was strong and put up a fight for life she now thinks different about life and what is important in life i have no wish to go in to brum        its not going to go away sorry  to say

Roy I think the strong spirit is still there , I think that covid and the over concreting of Birminigham has made it less attractive to born and bred Brummies . There is not a new building in Brum that I can say I think looks attractive .
Mark Twain

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2020, 07:22:04 PM »
Scipio

at the end of the day building where you live or what you live in  does not really come in to it

remember when we lived in back to backs and we had not got a pot to pee in  but what we had got was respect  for each other s person and if they owned any thing it was good luck to them  so its the folk that have gone down hill   just look at this forum  and look at some of the comments to each other nothing to with the topic

Scipio

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2020, 08:19:49 PM »
Scipio

at the end of the day building where you live or what you live in  does not really come in to it

remember when we lived in back to backs and we had not got a pot to pee in  but what we had got was respect  for each other s person and if they owned any thing it was good luck to them  so its the folk that have gone down hill   just look at this forum  and look at some of the comments to each other nothing to with the topic

Looking at your post Roy , I think your post has more credence , than  mine as you say people make the area not the buildings
Mark Twain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy