Author Topic: Any info on Prince of Wales lane/ Balmoral Way ‘Old factory name before flats?’  (Read 1847 times)

MrsT

Hi
Prince of wales lane Yardley wood by Christchurch.

I believe there was a factory before the flats were built Balmoral Way/ Sandringham

Can anyone give me any info please?
Name of factory?
What did they make?
Just interested thank you

Spud

I think the name of the company you are asking about was Elbief they made frames for ladies handbags
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

MrsT

Thank you Spud.
My daughter lives in the flats now on the site.
We have a very old A to Z and we noticed it said ‘works’ meaning factory where her flats are and I was just interested to learn more.
Very much appreciated

Hi De Hi

I think the name of the company you are asking about was Elbief they made frames for ladies handbags

El Bi Ef = LBF = Ladies Bag Frames

Des Gardner

Definitely named Elbief

Gwladmab

Definitely named Elbief
Definitely, I worked there in the 70’s as a contractor. I think the firm was owned by a Jewish company. I have a feeling that we were not allowed to work there on Saturdays, Sunday’s were OK. There was a great cafe next door, name of cafe escapes me at the moment

Des Gardner

Yes there was a cafe next door I went in there 1970s, I knew the owner.

Gwladmab

Yes there was a cafe next door I went in there 1970s, I knew the owner.
I used it quite often in the 70’s too, always busy, I think it was run by a couple of blokes. I seem to remember he called every one ‘John’ as in ‘what can I get you John?’ Not sure if there was a Gas Board depot nearby as there were always loads of gas fitters in there at breakfast.

Where have all the good old cafes gone where you could get a good breakfast and a mug of tea at a reasonable price......

frederick

Gw,
Those cafes have gone in the wack of the likes of Mc Donald's and Pizza shops.    :(
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Des Gardner

John was one of the guys who worked there or owned it... and yes there were plenty of gas men in there in the mornings, it was a proper greasy spoon cafe but they done a great sausage sandwich!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy