Author Topic: Billesley  (Read 33046 times)

Mary8790

Billesley
« on: June 06, 2008, 11:19:23 PM »
Hi. I'm new to the forum and wondered if any members grew up in the Billesley end of Kings Heath.  I lived in Coldbath Road in the 50s and 60s and had some characters as neighbours. 

tramp

Re: Billesley
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 04:08:16 AM »
Hi Mary,

Welcome to the forum. Although I didn't live near you in the 50s & 60s, I knew Jack Morris very well, he was a butcher and owner of Coldbath Farm, he had a daughter who I think was also Mary - did you know her?

frederick

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 10:20:00 AM »
hi Mary,

i have just yestreday got in contact with an old friend of mine that lived by there he went to Billesley school he still lives in brum.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 10:49:11 AM »
Hi Mary

Welcome to the site, Although I never lived in Billesley I know the area reasonably well. A mate of mine owned the corner shop and all the garages halfway up Coldbath Rd, but I think that was a bit later than the sixties.

I also had a relation that moved out of Ombersley Rd in Sparkbrook into a house they had built in Meadow View just opposite Swanhurst Park off Swanhurst Lane. I think the oldest son is still there today.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sueb

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 01:40:13 PM »
Welcome to the site Mary.

Although I don't come from Brum my first husband was brought up in Billesley - Menin Road to be precise.  He was born in 1946 so you might have known him or his family.  His name is Harry Russell and he's got 7 brothers and sisters.  He also had some interesting characters living nearby - they're probably the same people as you knew!! 

Phil, my ex used to keep his British motorbikes in those garages up Coldbath Road - it's a small world isn't it?

frederick

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 03:21:58 PM »
the Billesley was a regular of mine in the 60s we would meet there sometimes stay or we would go off to somewhere else from there
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 03:30:24 PM »
the Billesley was a regular of mine in the 60s we would meet there sometimes stay or we would go off to somewhere else from there

And just who was this mystery person you used to meet. I am making enquiries for a lady who is looking for the father of her son all she knows of the gentleman is that she used to meet him regularly at the Billesley Hotel and he gave his name as Fred and that last heard of he was heading off to the wilds of Wales.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 03:37:33 PM »

Phil, my ex used to keep his British motorbikes in those garages up Coldbath Road - it's a small world isn't it?

My mate purchased the shop and garages hoping that he would get planning permission to develop the site. I think he bought in the early seventies and after trying for about 20 years he gave up and sold out and moved to Leicester I think.

I noted the other week when I passed by, that the site was being built on. It makes you wonder, I suppose its the old adage "its not what you know, but who you know".

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Mary8790

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 10:36:07 PM »
Hi everyone.  Thanks for all the replies to my post. Tramp no I didn't know Jack Morris but was Coldbath Farm the big house that was at the bottom of the road that has recently been demolished?  Sueb: Yes I knew all the Russells as I went to the same junior school as them, Bobby Russell was my age and I remember the girls very well as I think the younger ones went to the same senior school as well.  It is a small world.

tramp

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 10:46:55 PM »

Mary,

I have no idea, I haven't been to brum for over 45 years - there was a farm, not just the farmhouse

Mary8790

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 11:20:39 PM »
Hi Tramp.  Yes its probably the same place but it would have been before my time but thanks for letting me know. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy