Author Topic: Moving to winson green?  (Read 2078 times)

Leeds in brum

Moving to winson green?
« on: January 08, 2021, 07:05:26 PM »
Ok I'm guessing this is the correct place to ask a few questions.

I'm basically a leeds born and bred guy that hasnt lived the best life so far, in the last 2 years I moved to bristol and now am in blackpool......I loved bristol but housing is near impossible to get, blackpool I hate and want out a.s.a.p.

I have found a supported accommodation in winson green that I view and hopefully move into on Wednesday but have a few worries....

First off, is it a safe area to live?

Second, is it a safe area to live for someone from leeds?, might sound daft but if you walked onto a leeds estate with a Manchester accent you would probably find trouble of some sort plus I know Aston villa fans have a new found hatred for leeds fans which is why I ask.

I'm a nice guy that keeps to myself, have no reason to be wandering around late at nights and am streetwise enough to know not to flash anything worth money anywhere really.

I just want a fresh start, help to deal with my depression and anxiety issues which I will get here and to just get on with life basically.

Everything on Google seems to talk about the prison rather than the area so any help from those in the know would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Leeds in brum

Re: Moving to winson green?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 08:31:41 PM »
Anyone out there or is this forum dead?

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 09:10:31 PM »
no its not dead     winson green it what you make it its down to you     enjoy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Leeds in brum

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 10:01:37 PM »
I guess I will find out for myself in a few days.

Leeds in brum

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 03:23:38 AM »
Thanks for the informative replies, it's good to see conversation is a strong point amongst folk in Birmingham. O0

vamann

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 10:01:27 AM »
You have to understand that quite a few members of any Birmingham forum will either live in or originate from the Winson Green area, or any other area in Birmingham for that matter, and don’t take too well to negative comments.  I moved from Perry Barr in 1970 when it was a good area to live but have no wish to return.  All I can suggest is you have a good look around and decide for yourself.

Spud

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 10:22:36 AM »
I have never lived in Winson Green or indeed lived that side of Birmingham so this just an observation. The area is multi cultural with large contingents of Asian and Afro Caribbean residents.  The area was the subject of the recent TV series 'Benefits St' There has been problems on the streets in the past thankfully as far as I know is now well in the past.  It has good public transport on hand . I very much doubt if your Leeds accent would be a problem Villa Supporters are pretty tolerant crowd. Both the Birmingham City Hospital and the Midland Eye Hospital are in the area. Its well served by the large supermarket chains and has decent public library.
I sincerely hope you do find a nice comfy home in Brum it is a friendly place but like all big cities it does have its problems
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Leeds in brum

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 10:25:19 AM »
You have to understand that quite a few members of any Birmingham forum will either live in or originate from the Winson Green area, or any other area in Birmingham for that matter, and don’t take too well to negative comments.  I moved from Perry Barr in 1970 when it was a good area to live but have no wish to return.  All I can suggest is you have a good look around and decide for yourself.

I do understand that, I love leeds, I love being dirty leeds scum, I loved the [censored] estate I grew up on but at the same time I'm an honest person and if I was asked if armley was a good area to move to, I'd tell them the truth......its full of smackheads, dealers, people looking to rob you and kids on stolen motorbikes flying all over, most local pubs still open have a handful of gypsies that will at some point test you etc, about 60% of the city is on sniff 90% smoke weed etc etc, other than that its sound and you wont find more honest people than Yorkshire folk......the only reason I wont go back is that I'm pretty much the only one of my friends to make it out alive,  not in prison and without an addiction.

It's fine tho, I asked the same question on a forum called small health alliance and was given plenty of information, warnings etc via the thread and dm's....they have been very helpful and confirmed that provided I'm happy in a multicultural environment and dont get involved with street people/gangs it wont be difficult to keep my head down and rebuild my life there even if it is a [censored].

Dont forget theres a pandemic going on and I move on Wednesday, I can hardly go sightseeing when the law are out looking to fine as many people as possible that are out without reasonable excuse....moving home is a reasonable excuse, I doubt sightseeing is.

Leeds in brum

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 10:39:46 AM »
I have never lived in Winson Green or indeed lived that side of Birmingham so this just an observation. The area is multi cultural with large contingents of Asian and Afro Caribbean residents.  The area was the subject of the recent TV series 'Benefits St' There has been problems on the streets in the past thankfully as far as I know is now well in the past.  It has good public transport on hand . I very much doubt if your Leeds accent would be a problem Villa Supporters are pretty tolerant crowd. Both the Birmingham City Hospital and the Midland Eye Hospital are in the area. Its well served by the large supermarket chains and has decent public library.
I sincerely hope you do find a nice comfy home in Brum it is a friendly place but like all big cities it does have its problems

The villa thing is strange, I always hated them since the 96 cup final when I spent most of the match watching leeds fans fighting each other rather than the 3-0 beating we took, my only trip to Wembley too.
They seem to have decided we are some kind of rivals now though, which they arent to us but they seem to be constantly talking about us these days and not in a good way.
I know its fashionable to hate leeds but it's really only Manchester and parts of london where my accent could get me into grief....possibly boro too as they seem to cling onto a 1 way rivalry with us too since the barcodes and Sunderland couldnt care less about them.

I'm not familiar with brum, have only passed through so it was a question that needed asking...some accents are accepted everywhere like scousers or scottish etc......leeds accent isnt always so welcomed if I'm honest.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2021, 10:47:51 AM »
WOULDN'T KNOW A LEEDS ACCENT TO A BRADFORD ACCENT BUT THEN AGAIN I LIVE IN KENT O0
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Leeds in brum

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2021, 11:01:10 AM »
WOULDN'T KNOW A LEEDS ACCENT TO A BRADFORD ACCENT BUT THEN AGAIN I LIVE IN KENT O0

Bradford kids talk with that asian street twang now due to how they grow up together but there wasnt too much difference when I was a kid as we didnt mix so much then......its the Barnsley and Sheffield lot that have dodgy yorkshire accents to be fair.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy