Author Topic: The Alhambra ,Hill st.  (Read 943 times)

john 1948

The Alhambra ,Hill st.
« on: February 19, 2021, 09:28:48 PM »
Yes, i remember it well, Down stairs to the alhambra , with the grapes next door. 1968 went in posing, I had 3 bacardi cokes. But i really did not drink. But i thought that in a nice pub it was the thing to do. Then i smoked two cigars, I did not smoke but i thought some girl might think i was  a big shot. Anyway i began to feel unwell so i walked up hill st to get the bus back to stourbridge, and was sick in the gutter. Got on the 130 bus, Got as far as bearwood, Got of and was sick in the gutter, Got on the next bus, but at Halesowen i just had to get of again to be sick in the gutter. No more buses, Just a 5 mile walk home. Iv never drank bacardi, or smoked cigars since. Leave all that to young posers.

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: The Alhambra ,Hill st.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 09:33:16 PM »
hi john  welcome to the forum i gave up smoking about 10 years ago iv save enough to  buy two new cars cash   so it done you a favour   enjoy roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Scipio

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 10:22:59 PM »
Yes, i remember it well, Down stairs to the alhambra , with the grapes next door. 1968 went in posing, I had 3 bacardi cokes. But i really did not drink. But i thought that in a nice pub it was the thing to do. Then i smoked two cigars, I did not smoke but i thought some girl might think i was  a big shot. Anyway i began to feel unwell so i walked up hill st to get the bus back to stourbridge, and was sick in the gutter. Got on the 130 bus, Got as far as bearwood, Got of and was sick in the gutter, Got on the next bus, but at Halesowen i just had to get of again to be sick in the gutter. No more buses, Just a 5 mile walk home. Iv never drank bacardi, or smoked cigars since. Leave all that to young posers.

Hello John1948 , I used the Alhambra also, that and The Wandering Minstrel , The Crown Hill St . These had to be the Ultimate in pubs, I loved the Alhambra and everything about it , do you remember that bloke on a Sunday night Singing Valencia how he held those notes I'll never know good crowd lovely women etc these were certainly the days to be young .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 11:35:27 PM »
Thank god we lived in those times. At my cousins stag at the Cedar Club we drank Ron Bacardi and Coke till the early hours

What a Night with Chris  Fewtrills
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

vamann

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 09:32:41 AM »
Always had the image of me in a daimler dart with my dog and smoking those thin cigars, strange as I’ve never smoked or had a daimler dart.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 09:57:56 AM »
hi vannman   have a gift from me

Scipio

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 06:54:27 PM »

I regularly bought Castella's for my Brother in law in a pub in Winson Green in the 60's , think on though the advert on the tv said "Smoke a Castella for the price of a pint" . Ansell's bitter 2/6p   Castella cigar 2/6p , I thought we looked the part ,so did other people , after drinking bitter all night last orders a pint of bitter and a double whisky still smoking the cigar . This time next year we'll be millionaires .
Mark Twain

john 1948

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 10:26:10 PM »
Me and Phill went down the ceder and ended up playing roulette I had £1. in half a crown chips. There was this chap at the table he had got a great pile Of £5. chips. God knows what he did. Anyway i lost my whole £1. But phill was reckless and lost everything. So we knocked it on the head and went back home . on the bus. The last time i past the cedar , There are trees growing were it used to be. Its never been built on.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 10:39:47 PM »
hi john you posted this is in the wrong place

The only thing i really remember about the Alhambra was at the end they used to put a terrible screching on to driving every one out. I used to pass the station on my way to the Locarno on a monday night. But i never went in.

Scipio

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 08:29:12 PM »
hi john you posted this is in the wrong place

The only thing i really remember about the Alhambra was at the end they used to put a terrible screching on to driving every one out. I used to pass the station on my way to the Locarno on a monday night. But i never went in.

We probably rubbed shoulders at the Locarno Roy .
Mark Twain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy