Author Topic: Summer Lane pubs  (Read 1143 times)

PattiW

Summer Lane pubs
« on: March 20, 2021, 06:16:13 PM »
I have found an ancestor listed as a publican on thé 1901 census. The address is 25 Summer Lane. Does anyone know any of the pubs in Summer Lane were at that number? Thank you.

simpson60

Re: Summer Lane pubs
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 06:24:04 PM »
I have found an ancestor listed as a publican on thé 1901 census. The address is 25 Summer Lane. Does anyone know any of the pubs in Summer Lane were at that number? Thank you.

simpson60

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 06:35:20 PM »
Drove down Summer Lane this morning ,  Haven’t been there for many years . I see the stags heads gone , couldn’t see the Clemence arms either . Born 60 Hospital Street opposite the Globe (61) which I never knew as a pub . I believe the school in Brearley streets gone , my mother went there . The pawn shop that was in summer Lane still haunts me Monday mornings . I used to take my dads suit in and get it back on a Friday . He never did know . It was my job to check for the big pins , a certain give away . Michael Smith

PattiW

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 06:40:30 PM »
Thanks for your reply. You obviously had memories stirred up. I saw a list of 15 pubs in Summer Lane on the Bham History forum but no addresses for them and I don't know the area at all.

Scipio

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 07:11:54 PM »
Thanks for your reply. You obviously had memories stirred up. I saw a list of 15 pubs in Summer Lane on the Bham History forum but no addresses for them and I don't know the area at all.

Hello PattiW There is a certain saying about the pubs in Summer Lane there is none ! Reason being the letter boxes are all in the side streets if the pubs are on a corner . Henceforth that is the postal address , not in Summer Lane . Hope this helps .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

PattiW

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 12:04:58 PM »

Hello PattiW There is a certain saying about the pubs in Summer Lane there is none ! Reason being the letter boxes are all in the side streets if the pubs are on a corner . Henceforth that is the postal address , not in Summer Lane . Hope this helps .

Thanks for that. The census entry was 25 Summer Lane Occupation Publican Working At Home. I assumed 25 Summer Lane was where he was a publican. Not sure now.

PattiW

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 12:14:04 PM »
I had a message from mikejee about this topic but I can'treply. If I try, It says I can't send messages. Can anyone help please? I am a novice at this. Do I need to change something in my settings? Thanks  Modifying this. I have managed to send a message now. Cheers.

Scipio

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2021, 06:27:08 PM »
I had a message from mikejee about this topic but I can'treply. If I try, It says I can't send messages. Can anyone help please? I am a novice at this. Do I need to change something in my settings? Thanks  Modifying this. I have managed to send a message now. Cheers.

PattiW I think once you've achieved five posts you can then PM members
Mark Twain

PattiW

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2021, 06:46:20 PM »

PattiW I think once you've achieved five posts you can then PM members

Thank you

Scipio

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2021, 06:49:40 PM »
Mark Twain

The Goalzone

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2021, 05:07:15 PM »

Hi All  - Yet the Vine was in Summer Lane?? next door to the Co-op just past corner of Summer Lane and New John St, The Brittania Inn was on the corner of New John St and Summer Lane opposite the Post Office- Stags Head on Corner of Brearley St and Summer Lane- so it might be correct about all, apart from the Vine??

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy