Author Topic: Waterloo Terrace and Lillie Terrace  (Read 110 times)

linda4smith

Waterloo Terrace and Lillie Terrace
« on: March 21, 2021, 04:59:31 PM »
Hi, I'm new to this forum, My parents were born and grew up in Ladywood and Edgbaston. Does anyone have have any photos of either Waterloo Terrace off Latimer Street or Lillie Terrace off Icknield Port Road?  Looking at the old maps, they didn't have a court as such, but a bit of a garden, I think they had outdoor loos, but did they have a brew house for washing, as I know my Grandma took in washing, wandered where she would do this with 9 children to look after.

Scipio

Re: Waterloo Terrace and Lillie Terrace
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 08:50:22 PM »
Hello linda4smith Welcome to the forum , can I ask have you used the search function . Put all addresses ie terraces and roads in . Good luck enjoy the forum
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Malvernian

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 10:32:39 AM »
I was born in a back-to-back house in Irving Street, just over the way from Waterloo Terrace, Latimer Street and then brought up in Icknield Port Road about 200yds up the road from Lillie Terrace. There are very few photos around of houses in either area - but quite a few on Mac Joseph's "Old Ladywood" website, for if you haven't found that yet. The houses in Waterloo Terrace look to have been "proper" back-to-back houses - three storey, simple rooms above one another and possibly a cellar below - with shared/detached wash-house and toilet. The houses in Lillie Terrace look slightly larger (as per my cousin's old house in nearby Marroway Street) - two rooms on the ground floor, a front room and a smaller dining kitchen (you'd call it nowadays), two size-matching bedrooms above and possibly a third small attic bedroom above that - still with shared/detached toilet but probably no wash-house - you did the washing in the kitchen. When you are looking for old photos bear in mind that those houses in Latimer Street were also later numbered as "back-of" number 68  e.g. 4/68. Likewise Lillie Terrace would be numbered back of 128 IPR.
There you go, Bill

linda4smith

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 01:19:30 PM »
Many Thanks Bill
I have identified both houses on old maps, 8 back of 71 and 3 back of 128. Mom grew up in Lillie Terrace and I have seen a wash tub and dolly in the background of a photo, also the bath tub hanging on the wall. I was born in Sunset Place off Great Colmore Street, moved to Northfield in 1955, I have a recollection of an outside loo, and sharing a bath in front a a fire with my older brother. My dad was born in Waterloo Terrace, I have a photo of him as a boy, taken in Latimer street, difficult to make out any of the background.
I have visited the back to backs in Birmingham, so I think his boyhood was spent in a house just like those, how on earth they coped with 9 children, heaven knows.
I will do a search and see was that gives me.
Thanks again
Linda