Author Topic: What we did as teenagers in Brum  (Read 30760 times)

Mary8790

Re: What we did as teenagers in Brum
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 09:37:25 PM »
Went to the Garry Owen. They used to do a great steak in there.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 09:49:49 PM »
Mary

It was a good steak there, but it was a better one at the Golden Gloves at the corner of Moseley Rd and Stratford Place opposite Highate Park.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Jacqueline

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 10:37:02 PM »
What decent woman or girl would have used the Tow rope cafe? Was said they were all pro's in there.

Littlesis

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 10:36:47 AM »
I my sister and friends used to go down to Ladypool Road, our local monkey run, picture's where we got thrown out on a few occasions for singing to the Ovaltine adverts. Also trying to get into the pictures to see an x rated film and franticly trying to work out your birth date so you would be old enough to get in (they always seemed to ask that, I wonder why :P )

Do any of you remember the cold milk machine outside Allibons on the Moseley Road.

mazbeth

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 12:18:05 PM »
I remember skiving off school a couple of times. Would meet up with mates ...and get changed out of school uniform in the loo.
hahaha we would do that as well...and put make up on.

used to hang round the indoor Bullring if it was cold, and if some older lads had money used to go in that pub with them, under the escalators [forgot the name] and have a drink and play on the pinball machine.
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

oldbrowny

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 10:39:31 PM »
Hi Jasper 14  re post4 and Mary post no w3
 I had a job driving a Electric bakers van and delivered bread to the KD. The boss in the kitche always told me to help myself to a snack and a coffee.This would be around 6.00 in the morning .You would not beleive how many mushrooms I could fit betwqeen 2 pieces of toast. .I would be about 17 then Ice skating at Spring Hill was afavourite on Sat night . Out at halftime and across the rd for a couple of beers Dancing at the Tower Ballroom when the big bands played and some of the cinemas too on a Sunday night Oldbrowny

jasper14

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2008, 10:51:50 PM »
Kia Ora old Browny,
welcome to the mad house, see you are down under, I,m just a bit further down than you tho, in NZ..........Byetheway I still enjoy mushrooms on toast
do you?  :-))

oldbrowny

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2008, 11:56:22 PM »
jasper14 I am in Sale Vic  Aussie . . Had a Pacific Bus Tours trip to NZ  about 8 yrs ago  Nth and Sth  Hole in the Rock etc  Great Topur  went on about 6 old railways and drove the engine on one of them
 Whereabouts are you in NZ  . ? Talk about getting off topic .........We could not be much further from Brum. Yeah though Still like mushrooms on toast. Why I remember the from Kd days is that they werefar too expensive for working class folks to buy Cheers Old Browy

Bannion

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 09:27:04 AM »
I can recall the times I went to the Gaumont Cinema on Sunday afternoons.  Sundays were always boring to me.  Mom cooking and messing about and Dad off to the pub for his tipple.

I was off and got into town about 2p.m. and into the cinema.  The shows did not start until 3p.m. and one was entertained by whoever on the theatre organ that came out of the depths to play.

Slowly nearer the time the stalls began to fill up with people and toward the start of the film the organ would retreat to applause from its captive audience, and then it was time for a couple of hours of escapism.   

john2000

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 10:41:51 AM »
Sunday, for me as a kid, was the worst day of the week, I used to live with a Mrs Bates top of Balsall Heath Rd, ( wonderfull woman,I missed her when she died,) but Sunday lunch time, it was sit at the table, eat your meal, keep still and quite, "no you cant leave the table till every one has finished", god, they where slow eaters, then cant go out,  sit and read a book, while every one else had a sleep for an hour, or they listend to the radio, what a bad day that was, I'd read all the comics mags, and anything else I could find, used to fight the cat, that didn't go down well either.. :-\..J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

oldbrowny

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 11:21:36 AM »
 Hi John  Sounds a bit hard.  Apart from Ice skating etc  I got a motorbike when I was 16 .  Went to Blackpool and broke my leg pretty badly  but recovered and had anothe 2 bikes while still in teens . Used to take a few girls for rides out around Earlswood lakes etc . Great time. Off Trial riding on Sundays and the Grass tracking. Van would come early Sun orning and pick up the bike and racing fuyell etc . Woild get back home and then off to a dance at an old picture house  up Dudley Rd not to far from Mitchells and Butlers  brewery . Yes I had a great tim as a teenager but I must get out a writing pad and work out all the dates and what I did really do  while still in teens  Cheers Oldbrowny

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy