Author Topic: What we did as teenagers in Brum  (Read 30754 times)

Jacqueline

What we did as teenagers in Brum
« on: June 14, 2008, 10:32:40 PM »
Was thinking back to my teens and what i used to do early evening. No not that. ;D

Most nights when skint myself and my two close friends would walk up and down the local high street just having a chat. When better off we would either be found at the cine bowl bowling alley in Stirchley or most likely at the roller rink on Summer Hill Lane.

What did you do as a teenager?

jasper14

Re: What we did as teenagers in Brum
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 10:50:49 PM »
Now when Adam was a lad I used to go roller skating,cycling.having a natter
with friends and the usual "helping Mum",,Four years of my teens I spent in
the WAAF,  used to go to the Orange Grove in Sutton C dancing while on leave ...No worries like  today about getting mugged etc it was safe to walk
home from Sutton to Gt.Barr,usually 5/6 of you chattering like aflock of
starlings,each one going safely to their nest.......Checking out the males,coffee
at the Greasy Spoon at Scott Arms.    My teenage years hold lots of happy
memories.............am after all this time still in touch with two of the girls both
like me Grandmothers,our letter go  "do you remember when?"

Jacqueline

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 11:04:02 PM »
Jasper your teenage years sound like fun wish mine were as busy...or perhaps they were because i was talking about early school year teens.
To continue the story of my teens was married at 17 and had first child at 19 followed by twins the year after so guess i was quite busy.
The good news is i am still with hubby some 36 years later. ;D

Mary8790

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 11:10:07 PM »
I remember skiving off school a couple of times. Would meet up with mates in the KD (Kardomah) opposite Snow Hill station and get changed out of school uniform in the loo. Sat around there for a while until the Silver Blades opened up then we used to go to a lunchtime club can't remember what it was called but it was under where the ramp is now in New Street. Back to the KD changed again and home.  Got caught in the end by a teacher on her way home and she knew I hadn't been at school.  Evenings were either skating again, bowling and Friday nights the youth club at the Abbey Erdington. Not sure why I went there because I lived in Kings Heath but must have gone with friends living over that way.

jasper14

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 11:21:50 PM »
Hi Mary
I remember the KD as a heap of rubble from the bombing of SnowHill and that
area...working in Constitution Hill many years later I often called in for a coffee
and a cake, maybe I was one who saw you skiving off.......We did,nt have to
cos our School days where really only half days,you went either in the morning
or in the afternoon, it was a doddle to take time out and nobody be any the
wiser..The Teachers had all been retired and called back so they could,nt care
less if they had a full class or an empty one, wonderful freedom ****

jasper14

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 12:10:55 AM »

Looking back, life then always seemed rather good.....
I think I was given a love life bone when I was born have now added
a love people to that.
Am not ashamed of my age but to me,old age is 15 years older than I am.....:-o

sueb

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 04:16:19 PM »
It sounds as though it was fun in Brum when you were teens.  I came here when I was 22 and although I'd been to college in London I much preferred it here.  I think I did all the things I should have done as a teenager once I came to Brum.  Our favourite haunts at the time were Snobs and Sloopys.

Jacqueline

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 06:51:39 PM »
I have never been to a nightclub in Brum or England for that matter. Being married young and having children quickly it was a pain trying to find a babysitter with enough courage for my little monkeys.

The only nightclubs i did attend were in Belgium while on holiday 3 months pregnant with my first child at age 18. ;D

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 08:08:36 PM »
You know reading about the adventures of you young girls, I come to the conclusion that none of you were very brave.

Didn't any of you try any of the slightly riskier clubs, pubs and cafes. Everytime I read on one of these forums of ladies going out for the night its always the Kardomah, the Wimpy Bar, Snobs, Snoopy's The Heartbeat or the Rum Runner,

What was the matter with the Towrope, the Las Vegas, the Mexicana. The Boundary Club, The Ringway Club, The Garry Owen Club, The Gaylords Club.

I don't know how these places ever made any money, and I must have been the only one using them because no one ever admits to using them.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sueb

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 08:25:12 PM »
Phil, perhaps some of those clubs you mentioned had closed when us 'younger' members were late teens/early twenties.  I do remember going to the Gary Owen - or rather trying to get in but we weren't allowed because we were too drunk!  How bad is that?!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 08:39:03 PM »
sueb

Being turned away from the Garry Owen for being drunk, that must be a first. I have crawled in there some nights.  As you say it was probably later in years when the police were starting their crackdown on the club. By then it had got too tame and I had moved on to other pastures.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy