Author Topic: Anyone posting from outside Brum?  (Read 9605 times)

john2000

Re: Anyone posting from outside Brum?
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2006, 11:16:00 AM »
Hi"FRog, which twin city is that . ?? ................. ;D
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Graham

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2006, 06:07:25 PM »
Oui FRog, quel est le nom a votre ville?

FRog

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2006, 11:10:36 AM »
I live near Lyon*, a city in the Entre East of France  :)

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyon

Graham

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2006, 01:04:17 PM »
Ah Lyon, I remember it well, once got stuck there on a muddy road. My car had sunk up-to it's axles in the mud and I had to sleep in the car all night. Next morning a farmer with a dozen farm hands and a tractor pulled me out. In the town there were some stone steps leading down to the river, spent hours washing the thick red mud off myself and my clothes. Happy days!

Here is someone's view:- http://www.galactic-guide.com/articles/2R105.html Sounds a lot like Brum with the pollution, crime rate and so far from the sea, maybe that's why they are twined ???

I should have been spending my Sunday at the Ghent velodrome for the final of the annual six-day cycle race, but last night the Spanish world champion crashed and died. The organizers have stopped the race, out of respect.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/nov06/nov26news2

FRog

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2006, 01:39:55 PM »
Yes I just read on the BBC about the cycling accident. So sad...

Very interesting view about Lyon but a bit out of date and the author must have had a bad day when he wrote it  ;D. Some points are true but seen with a pessimistic eye though.
I used to live in Paris and I'll definitely not go live there again! Life in Lyon is much much better. Every place has it's up and down sides but in balance I still think Lyon and the surroundings are great. Also, it's only 1h40 flight from Brum lol.

I am so sorry about what happened to you while you were there. Can you remember the name of the place where your car got stuck? At least you had the opportunity to see that the locals can be friendly and helpful, unlike the common clichés about frogs lol (although I agree about some...)

:)

Graham

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2006, 01:56:31 PM »
Yes FRog the friendship and the help was out of this world, but then again this was in the 60's and I was as famous as BB being a cycling world champ riding for a French team, Mercier.

The name of the street I never knew, don't take to heart what I write, it's all in the good cause of getting others to share their views.

P.S. The Froggies sling a lot of (that) mud at us Brits so why shouldn't we do the same ???

FRog

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2006, 02:03:10 PM »
Hey your name rings a bell here!  :o I was a kid in the 60's but I do remember the Mercier team with Poulidor as team leader for a while.

Sorry if my eyes were more focused on BB at the time though LOL

Graham

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2006, 02:21:03 PM »
Yes I was in the same team at the same time as those French legends, Poulidor and Stablinski. I too would have preferred BB as room mate to that country boy, Poulidor  :P

For the cycling enthusiasts, here I am again at the Ghent six day race in 1967 with my world champions rainbow jersey on, just opposite the spot in the velodrome where that Spanish rider lost his life last night.

FRog

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2006, 03:04:12 PM »
Hats off gentlemen, we have our champion!
 :)

Boomer

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2006, 05:56:02 AM »
I post from Michigan.  Be assured that there's at least one AV supporter here!
Live well; laugh often; love with all your heart.

midge

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2006, 08:27:39 AM »
I am posting from Melbourne nice and sunny here today I lived in Aston until 1975 moved to Perry Barr left for Australia in 1986 My husband woked for Ansells brewery for many years.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy