Author Topic: The Oxford Restaurant  (Read 12479 times)

Empty

The Oxford Restaurant
« on: June 26, 2008, 11:36:11 PM »
Hi,
does anyone remember The Oxford Restaurant - Dale End/High St? It used to be above Dorothy Perkins and my mum used to take me there as a child. This would be late 1950s - early 1960s.
Empty

sueb

Re: The Oxford Restaurant
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 05:21:54 PM »
Hi Empty and welcome.  No sorry, I don't remember the Oxford Restaurant - I wasn't living in Brum at that time.  But I do remember the Oxford club in Moseley in the 70's.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 05:40:38 PM »
Hi Empty

Didn't see this post, you must have been hiding. I was taken to the Oxford many times as a youngster when we visited town. I remember climbing the stairs, wasn't it one of these municipal restaurants. The meals always reminded me of school dinners.

Sueb it was probably gone before you were born, you are only a youngster after all. So what was you doing in that den of iniquity the Oxford Club, I bet your mother didn't know.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sueb

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 06:12:35 PM »
Ha, ha Phil - my mother didn't know!! (Of course!).  We loved it at the Oxford, it was great fun.  And by the way, I don't think I'm much younger than some of you - I'm just more immature!

shardeen

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 12:39:15 AM »
hello i had an aunt who worked at the oxford, i only went there once so i dont know how long she was there
sharden

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 04:15:12 PM »
Hi,
does anyone remember The Oxford Restaurant - Dale End/High St? It used to be above Dorothy Perkins and my mum used to take me there as a child. This would be late 1950s - early 1960s.
Empty

The Oxford Restaurant High Street, was part of the UCP group and I believe their speciality was tripe. As you needed no ration coupons to purchase tripe during the war their popularity increased, but when rationing came to an end their popularity waned.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Empty

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 08:20:29 PM »
Phil,
I don't know how you do it, I really don't!!!
Empty

sueb

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 01:17:37 PM »
What did the shop, Phillips, next to The Oxford sell Phil?  And is this picture the High St. in town where Marks and Spencer is now?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 01:49:57 PM »
sueb

Phillips was a furniture store, next to that was the News Theatre and next to that was The Waverley Hotel on the corner of Albert St & New Meeeting Street. M & S and the Co-op were on the High Street but a little further back the other side of Carrs Lane.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

GSDGirl

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 07:33:06 AM »
My Nanny used to take us to the Oxford. I seem to remember it had a horseshoe counter where you could sit and eat or you could sit at the dinning tables. I loved there steak and kidney pie which was made in a big container and my Nan always had liver and bacon. I remember it was always very busy.

brummie forever

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 03:13:42 AM »
I remember the Oxford restaurant, I used to go there with my Mom in the late 50's early 60's. I loved their beef steak pudding and chips and their fish and chips, their parsley sauce was delicious.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy