Author Topic: The Oxford Restaurant  (Read 12480 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: The Oxford Restaurant
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 06:19:40 PM »
Hi brummie forever

Welcome to the forum, yes the Oxford served good simple food with no expensive frills. Cheapness was the driving force. It was driven along the lines of the civic restaurants that were started during the war to ensure that everyone had access to good cheap food.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pauline w

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 08:29:22 PM »
hi phil thank you for the picture of the oxford resturant it was lovely  ;D

JDNERJA

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 05:23:06 PM »
Yes I remember it well. In late 50' early 60' iwas an engineering apprentice in Aston.
My Saturday treat was Steak and Kidney pudding and chips, during my visit to the city centre. It probably cost about 1 shilling and 6 pence. 71/2 pence now. Also the bake tater cart at the top of Albert Street, he also did chestnuts in season. Good times
JDNERJAJDNERJA

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 07:47:02 PM »
Hi JDNERJA

Welcome to the forum, if I could afford it I always has a tuppeny bag of baked taters from the vendor at the top of Alberst St when waiting for the number 50 bus. They were great on a cold winter night.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 11:22:31 AM »
I had meals at the Oxford Restaurant many times, either before or after going to the news theatre. I ate in most of the city centre restaurants when in town with my mother on a Tuesday afternoon, after school.  I used to love a bowl of tomato soup and a crusty cob at Lyons restaurant, simple, but very enjoyable.

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Patricia Burley

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2016, 05:49:27 PM »
I remember the Oxford Restaurant very well.  My parents used to take me there every week. I was fascinated by the angel fish in tanks on the ground floor.  My dad loved yhe pies that they sold. Good memory

Roy Twing

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2016, 12:31:41 AM »
Hi Empty and welcome.  No sorry, I don't remember the Oxford Restaurant - I wasn't living in Brum at that time.  But I do remember the Oxford club in Moseley in the 70's.
I used to go to the Oxford Club in the 70s, - still have a few photos of the place - not much more to add.  :-[

Derekkyte

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2019, 10:25:21 PM »
I worked there for a very short time in the kitchen of the Snack bar about December [size=78%]1960[/size]

Derekkyte

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2019, 10:29:26 PM »
There was another UCP restaurant in New Street near the Odeon cinema, can'[size=78%]t remember the name of it though.[/size]

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2019, 08:42:33 AM »
There was another UCP restaurant in New Street near the Odeon cinema, can't remember the name of it though.

The  Used Cattle Products (UCP) Restaurant at 136 New Street between King Edward House and Millits Store was The Avon Restaurant.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2019, 10:12:39 PM »
The Oxford (togther with Thompson's Burchers on Aston Cross) sold the best steak and kidney pies in the universe. In the 50s, when I was 7, my mum used the nearby M&S Store, I hated it - no toy dept then, I put up with being dragged around looking at the clothes because I would be bribed with pie and chips at the Oxford afterwards. O0
Ah! Happy Days!
Peg.
P.S. If you wanted the best fish and chips in town the BHS Restaurant was the place to go.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy