Author Topic: Blackwell Convalesce Home  (Read 45772 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Blackwell Convalesce Home
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2010, 07:19:14 PM »
Hi Val

I have to agree with you, and in my experience nuns and priests can be some of the worst people in the world to be given the task of caring for children.

I don't know why this is, perhaps it is because its because they have never had any of their own.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Val

« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2010, 08:28:41 PM »
Hi Phil,  I've been sitting on this one.  This subject runs deep because they deal with children who are, or were, in care.  I'd agree with you all the way except that some of the nuns and sisters that took care of us were OK.  They didn't carry canes or straps, they didn't meet out individual or mass punishment at a drop of a hat.  But the ones that did are the ones that you remember because of the lifelong emotional and physical scars they inflicted.

There's something about this particular site (Cropwood) that I want to point out, it's salt in the wound. Have you noticed who's placing their hyperlinks on this particular subject.  "Religious Womens Vocations";  "Sister Rose Nun DVD"; "Crossed your Mind" a link to priests' vocations.

These hyperlinks have no place on subjects that deal with children who were in care, especially when every day there's another story of abuse, and worse, which go back decades and are ongoing.  Those who contribute to these subject share (but very, very little) of some of what they experienced.  These hyperlinks have no place here.

Rant over - Val

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2010, 08:42:55 PM »
Hi Val

You have lost me a little on this one concerning the "links" Do you mean the adverts placed on each page of the thread? I think you will find that these adverts are placed by a Google robot on behalf of the site provider. Who I think would get some revenue or benefit for providing the site.

They just tend to pick out words from the posts and stick up the closest advert they have to the subject. I don't think there  is any disrespect intended as there are no humans involved in the choice.

Phil 
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2010, 08:59:50 PM »
hi val
         the admin have nothing to do with the links that you find on this forum   its part of the deal that you have to put up with because its a free site to members when you use some words lets say banks or intrest or church the site is scanned for such words and a link will be put up with those words in it  if we had an add free site then we would have to pay for the up keep and running costs i hope that helps val
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Val

« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2010, 09:06:14 PM »
Phil/Roy, I do understand how it works though Google sweeps, I understand that it's business not personal.

It just grates whenever I see it.  Mea culpa for my rant.  It's not a subject I feel indifferent about.

Val 

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2010, 09:28:21 PM »
Mea culpa Mea culpa mer maxima  culpa          absit iniuria verbis
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

denise

« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2010, 10:50:27 AM »
I understand what you mean Val,sad we can't do anything about them but we just have to ignore those adds.

Mind you many of the adds are advertising work done by people who have exposed these low lives and I am glad they have told their story.Maybe even writing about it on a forum like this can give some relief to people who have suffered.........I don't know,I hope so.

Good luck to the people who have been so honest on this thread.

thegremlin

« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2012, 03:58:10 PM »
My mother worked at the Convalence home before I was born. My Grandparents were the caretakers of Hunters Hill School just across the road from Cropwood school. I spent many a fun summer there growing up until my grandparents retired in 1985. Cropwood had a pool that we would go swimming in. I am planning a trip there this summer with my wife. I loved walking in the country, and worked at the old horse stables there I believe called Blackwell stables. You could see the recovery hospital from there sitting on the top of the hill. Its been gone for a while now.

junk

« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2012, 11:12:30 PM »
Hi everybody,. yes I went to blackwell con home in 1950 and remember it well I was frightend and went by taxi from yardley, and I wonderd what I had done wrong. It was a strange feeling. I soon met the other kids and began like it. I can still remember my Mother sending me a parcel, I was filled with excitment and on opening it, it had one of those plastic toilet bags with toothbrush and soap, white pumps and the strong aroma off that bag. ( a bit like the smell of pear drop sweets) They had a bulldog and I was on all 4s and barking at it when it bit my nose (ouch). Does anyone remember the home song:-

There is a converlesent home,down blackwell lane
Where we have bread & Jam 3 time's a day
Egg & ham we never see
Nor no sugar in our tea,
Thats why we fade fade away.

Here come's the nurse with a red hot poltice
Slaps it on and takes no notice
Ow said the patient thats to hot
O said the nurse I'm sure its not.       This second verse was a kind of rap I supose.

But when my mother came to collect me I was very sad and wanted to stay, for the super of a bag of crisps and glass of milk

well folks I'm very pleased about the topic . So best of health to the boys and girl's who stayed there, God Bless,, xx Junk.

joycecampbell11

« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2013, 07:31:32 AM »
Hello, I also went to an open air school in the Malvern Hills. There wasn't any glass in the windows. It was in the 1950's. The girls bathed one night, the boys the next. Had to show that we had opened our bowels daily. I didn't realize it was for children who weren't well. I was allowed to sleep in the corner so that it wasn't so cold. Thank-you for all the information on this site. Joyce.

suen

« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2013, 06:38:44 AM »
Hi Just found this forum, had trip to Malvern yesterday which got me thinking I went to convalescent home in Malvern in early sixties,dont know from pictures which one but could have been Hugh Sumner or St Catherines.I remember it as being a large foreboding place with strict staff who made you frightened to move one particular nurse logged all your belongings and had the cheek to call my teddy bear tatty..The garden was large with apple tree,s and I had to go to school which was located next door.You could see the Malvern hills from the windows.Mom and Dad visited when they could but it was a long expensive journey from Brum.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy