Author Topic: Blackwell Convalesce Home  (Read 45586 times)

stupot48

Re: Blackwell Convalesce Home
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2013, 12:23:41 PM »
I went to The Uplands, in Blackwell, three times mid to late 50's.  I remember being collected by taxi, outside the Birmingham Hospital Saturday Fund offices, in Ludgate Hill, Birmingham city centre.  The strict matron always accompanied us and used to take any sweets that you were eating off you.  It was a beautiful home, in an gorgeous location and it was very comforting listening to the steam engines banking up the lickey incline, when you were lying in bed.  I remember a German nurse, who owned a German shepherd dog, which once bit my nose, when I put my face near him.  I remember them taking us to Blackwell station, to sit on the bank and view the trains going by.  There was a distinct smell of shoe polish, when you entered the footwear storeroom.  We had weekly visits by a local resident, who used to show old black and white Mickey Mouse cartoons, on his 8mm projector.  When parents sent sweets and comics, they were always placed in a large tin, so that no child missed out.  The dormatories were named after flowers, such as bluebell etc.  Meal times were strict and matron always served it out.  You were forced to eat every crumb, otherwise it was forced down your throat.  I re-visited the home, a few times, in the late 80's and early 90's and was allowed to video the home and grounds.  So many memories, some good and some not so good.  :)

sheppy

« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2013, 07:31:42 PM »
Hi Anne Maria I went there for convalescent in the 70s after having operation for stomach ulcers
used to walk down the lane to get a rest from the place the nurses were great.
used to have a bottle of stout off them to drink and it was near Bromsgrove
regards
sheppy

LORZ

Re: Cropwood
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2015, 10:45:40 AM »
I was at Cropwood around 1960 Miss Urquart was head Mistress and Miss Addis a nurse if I remember right, anyone there around that time? does anyone have any photos of this school?  There were good and bad times I ran away as I understaood lotf the girls did, I've written a longer post on the birminham history forum, if anyone is interested in reading it.  I have a lot of memories and shed many tears whilst there, I wonder what it is like today

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2015, 04:36:51 PM »
Hi Lorz

Earlier in this thread I said that my sister was a resident of Cropwood  from 1965 to 1968 and that she left in full health, well that was true but in later life her heart and breathing problems returned, but she spent most of her working life in the nursing profession. She eventually left through ill health when she could no longer carry on and unfortunately she passed away a couple of weeks ago. She always had nothing to say but good things about Cropwood and in fact it was her stay there that inspired her to take up nursing. 
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

LORZ

« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2015, 04:47:36 PM »
Hi Phil,
I am sorry to hear your sister passed, I think Blackwell Convalescent home and Cropwood open air school are not far from each other, but I think your picture is of the convalescent home that my mum went to, Cropwood was opposite Hunters Hill Boys School, an open air school for sick kids.  I think cropwood was a smaller building. but it is nice to see your picture I vaguely remember as a small girl being taken to visit mom while she was there.

Kind regards love this site, Lorraine

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2015, 05:21:51 PM »
Lorz

Yes you are right, I don't know what I was thinking, but it was Cropwell my sister was at from 65 to 68. I think this is probably the photo I meant to upload.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

LORZ

« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2015, 05:28:51 PM »
Hi Phil, yes that looks more like what i remember, I wish I could see more pictures of the place, I am hoping to get hold of a book about the open air schools called a breathe of fresh air, maybe that might have some pictures. I can't stop looking at it, many many thanks Lorraine

LORZ

« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2015, 06:49:52 PM »
Phil, I've been trying to get in contact with you, Frankly I don't get how this site works, so have to look for threads so I hope I am sending this to the right person, if so, let me know, I want to ask your advice/help Lorraine Perth wa

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2015, 09:53:05 PM »
Lorz

To reply to a post on this thread you must first click on Old Birmingham on the opening page, then on the name of the thread you are looking for in this case Blackwell Convalesce Home, then post whatever you want.

If you want privacy then you use the messaging system this you do by clicking on my messages which is one of the options running left to right from the orange home button, then its messages, new message, put the name of the member you are messaging in the to box, write your message and then click send message.

I hop this helps.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

LORZ

« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2015, 10:01:22 AM »
Hello Cropwood girls,

I was there in 1960ish can't quite pin point it, but although I was terribly homesick, there was no cruelty, our Head was a Miss Urquart and there was a miss Addis, i forget other names, I am so sad to hear, that it was such an unhappy time.  Didn't you have any good times, like making dens and playing in the gorse or the big old tree, maybe you were not well enough, I was one of the girls that ran away along with another on the same day called Ann, I hope anyone of you reading this will post a reply, I have found one friend and we chat a bit about those days, but would love to hear from you Lorraine xx

Can I just clarify are we talking about Balckwell Converlescene Home or Cropwood Open Air School, two different places??

secondman

« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2016, 05:55:34 PM »
I was also at Blackwell , circa 1960. I,m sure it was called Uplands. After a long illness in Little Bromwich and Selly Oak hospitals I was shipped off to Blackwell for 4 weeks, compliments of the Hospital Saturday Fund, which my father paid into weekly from his wages. I dnt remember too much of it really except it was a big place but we spent most of our time in a out building in the grounds, it was children only in there. There was one lad I always played with, I was about 10 or 11 but Icant remember his name. There were plenty of walks round the village and we always finished up on the path in front of the railway cottages.We would stay  there for ages watching the trains, as I still do 55 years later. Sunday we all had to go to the local church, no getting out of that. My memories of Blackwell were on the whole good, once I,d got over my home sickness. Seeing old photos of the place really takes me back, lying in bed at night listening to the trains pounding up the incline.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy