Author Topic: Blackwell Convalesce Home  (Read 45582 times)

derichardson

Re: Blackwell Convalesce Home
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2018, 02:04:09 PM »
My mum who sadly passed away just 2 weeks ago went to this school - not sure when but she hated it so much. I vividly remember the horror stories she would tell me and to this day, cannot believe just how sad this 'open air school' made her. I am not sure if there is anyone out there on the forum that remembers Christine Warren - if this name rings a bell with anyone, it would be nice to hear some of memories people may have had of her. Might help with the grieving.  :(

Junemcardle

« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2018, 01:48:35 PM »
Posted by Mrs June mcardle  from meridian  I was at cropwood open air school from 1961 until 1965 I was happy enough I had two friends Carole Cadbury and June Edwards we are friends for the four years we were they yes I remember miss Newhart she scared me to to death for the first twelve months miss bronze was our teacher we are taught outside in the wooden classrooms I have actually had the book that was written by a pupil I didn't know her personally we were the girls who slept at rosemary cottage I was also a girl guide and was in the choir at the church in blackwell it was a lovely little village we also did country dancing every Tuesday at hunters hill boys school across the road myself and Carole use to wash up the staff and tidy the staffs dining room every evening we loved it we use to roll the butter on a wooden block also miss bromagebromage was really nice to us and at the end of the term our last day being their she presented myself and Carole with two tickets for herman hermits at silver blades . In Birmingham  we did go and had a great time visiting was only onceon month Saturday and Sunday unfortunately family commitment s. Meant I did not have many visits but did have many visits of my two aunty a Freda dolly and  my sister Brenda they would come in a Sunday and take me to a lovely little tea rooms in the village I always lived their visits it meant such a lot to me the good was always good variety the cook was Italian about twelve years ago my nephew took me back to see this school unfortunatly  was disclosed but a man from hunters hill had the keys and he showed us round it was so emotionky for me all the old baths still there and hand basins and legs still there hunters hill was still being  used for a special needs school but only for day use all I can say  now it will be four years of my life I will not forget anyone who reads this I would love to hear from you I was June Winehouse I have seen a few of the girls over the years I am now very happy married 48 years this October have 4 lovely sons and 12 grandchildren and two great grandchildren bye for now June x

Peg Monkey

« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2019, 08:49:24 PM »
Is Blackwell and Burcot Grange one and the same establishment?
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #91 on: January 07, 2019, 11:18:25 PM »
Peg.

Blackwell or Burcot Grange? In the late 50's my gran had a number of eye operations each one followed by a stay in a Bromsgrove Nursing Home, this was over 60 years ago so my memory is a bit sketchy. I was simply told we are off to see gran Sunday afternoon.
I only remember there being one destination but recent checks show this could not have been the case. I do remember seeing signs "Blackwell Convalescent Home" and "Burcot Grange Convalescent Home"  and I thought these were one and the same but recent checks reveal not. They had different postal addresses and post codes although these were very similar, Blackwell is closed but Burcot is still operating.
Anyway one of these places had a giant rocking horse which I loved - does anyone remember such a horse?
The horse must have been part of the original stately home - how lucky the children of the owner's must have been?!
The attachment gives and indication of scale and shows me aged about 8.
The beast was surrounded by steps to aid mounting and mitigate the effects of an infant making and unplanned dismount.
Was the horse a mare or a stallion? The steps prevented this being ascertained. :-\
Peg.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2019, 10:59:33 AM »
Peg.

As Blackwell Convalescent Home was on Station Road Blackwell and Burcot Grange is on Green Hill Blackwell they are obviously two different entities.   
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2019, 02:27:07 PM »

As Blackwell Convalescent Home was on Station Road Blackwell and Burcot Grange is on Green Hill Blackwell they are obviously two different entities.
Thanks, Phil, I'd come to the same conclusion - my gran must have had a spell in both - location of the giant rocking horse remains a mystery. :-\
Peg

JudithM

« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2019, 01:02:54 PM »
Thanks, Phil, I'd come to the same conclusion - my gran must have had a spell in both - location of the giant rocking horse remains a mystery. :-\
Peg
I've never been to either of these places, but I did have 2 eye operations as a child (around 1970 & 73 respectively) and I remember a large rocking horse at the eye hospital (the one in the City Centrel).  It could be that it seemed large to me because I was so little, but it was certainly a lot larger than any I'd seen before.  It wasn't surrounded by steps, but there was something you could stand on to get on to it.

I remember it well as I was completely horse mad at that age, and when I went in for the 2nd time I was considered an old hand at this & also old enough & responsible enough to take the younger children to the play room (I'd have been 7 1/2 at the time  ;D )
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Peg Monkey

« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2019, 11:58:30 PM »
I've never been to either of these places, but I did have 2 eye operations as a child (around 1970 & 73 respectively) and I remember a large rocking horse at the eye hospital (the one in the City Centrel).  It could be that it seemed large to me because I was so little, but it was certainly a lot larger than any I'd seen before.  It wasn't surrounded by steps, but there was something you could stand on to get on to it.

I remember it well as I was completely horse mad at that age, and when I went in for the 2nd time I was considered an old hand at this & also old enough & responsible enough to take the younger children to the play room (I'd have been 7 1/2 at the time  ;D )

That sounds like the horse, Judy, I can't be certain about the steps around it but there was some kind of carpeted structure that led up to the riding position. My gran had a number of ops in that hospital.
Peg.

Aaron2019

« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2020, 04:38:48 PM »
Was anyone ever in The Uplands children's home in the 80s?

Straight A

« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2023, 10:39:57 PM »
I was at Cropwood from Jan 63 ( the big freeze till sept 65 ) then went to school in Devon as I passed my11plus at Cropwood.   I remember good times, swimming in the egg shape pool, brownies, dancing to records, cakes on Sunday but awful fish on Friday. The boys coming over for end of term dance ? Or did we go to Hunters Hill ? The lobby where we all sat , I was number 75. Fillms on Saturdays and wearing very scratchy trousers ‘ trews’as per Miss Urauart ! Going to Church on Sundays will green blazers and yellow berets. A fantastic teacher who painted Christamas scenes in the classroom windows. Haircuts by the barber and lorexane ?  on our heads before visiting to avoid nits ! Sitting on the bench outside to recover from gas after having teeth out. Cleaning shoes outside in all weathers.  French ? Skipping with massive elastics and playing under the moon and over the stars with a load of other girls. Not too many bad memories we all had duties and life was very structured . Rosemary Cottage etc.

Kitty28

« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2024, 06:45:29 PM »
My parents both worked at The Uplands in the late 1950's early 1960's, my mum Dorothy Bridgewater was a children's nurse & my dad Peter Tupman was a groundsman, does anyone remember them if they were there at this time

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy