Author Topic: Blackwell Convalesce Home  (Read 45588 times)

AnnMarie

Blackwell Convalesce Home
« on: June 17, 2006, 05:15:17 AM »
 :-\ Any of you "Golden Oldies" remember back in the 40's a Convalesce Home for children--I think it might have been at Bromsgrove??? not really sure.
  I was sent there for a holiday after being sick for a while.
It was a beautifull big house with wonderfull gardens--about 20 children would have been there. We had two weeks there with lots of long walks in the country side. Must say I remember really enjoying my self.

Cheers. Ann Marie

abilene

Re: Blackwell Convalesce Home
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 12:59:40 PM »
Blackwell court is used by the scouts, guides, cubs and brownies etc.  My son went for a weekend camping trip.  There is also a special school in Blackwell by an area we use to call the stables.  It may have been called Hunters Hill.

AnnMarie

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 06:41:41 AM »
 :)Hello Abilence,

Thank you for your reply about Blackwell Convalesce Home.
Is it in Bromsgrove? I really cant remember.  I will be in UK in August  and thought we might have a drive out there.

Thanks again, cheers :)

Ann Marie

abilene

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 10:31:41 AM »
http://www.birminghamscouts.demon.co.uk/blackwell/blackwell.html

This is the website for Blackwell Court  Birmingham Scouts Scouts

http://www.bhsf.co.uk/Downloads/bestofhealth/BHSF-17_22.pdf

This is a website for Birmingham Hospital Saturday Fund it shows a Picture of the Uplands Convalescence Home in Blackwell.  I hope this may be useful.

chris911

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 11:15:39 PM »
I went there, with my younger brother, in the mid 50s. Food was not too good ( I'm being polite now!). I remember being taken for a walk to the local railway station to watch the goods train go by. The nurse in charge of us fell asleep! and missed the train. When she woke, we stayed there for an extra hour or so, until she realised that she'd missed it! ;D

Donp777

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 01:53:46 PM »
I know the Uplands well it became a community home school for Birmingham Social Services, i worked there in the 80's

21ASaltley

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 02:49:56 PM »
The Uplands was also a convalecsent home for Injured soldiers in WW2.As a fireman on the railway,the home was our star of Bethlehem,meaning the top of Bromsgrove bank had been almost reached,Blackwell station was right at the top.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 03:32:44 PM »
Hi 21Adultly,

Welcome to the Birmingham Forum, I don't know much about Blackwell Convalescence Home myself other than that I have a young sister that was resident there for a while due to a heart problem.

I'm afraid that I only visited her there once myself, all I remember is that we went by Midland Red Bus and it was about three or four miles past the Licky Hills.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 03:52:52 PM »
21ASaltley,

Sorry about the typo error in your name. I've only just noticed it.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tracey

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 12:57:26 PM »
i  too remember the uplands it was a childrens assement centre home i was there in the 70's

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 01:59:32 PM »
I remember the Blackwell convalescence home. In the 60's my young sister developed a hole in the heart caused by whooping cough when she was an infant.

It was decided that she needed to be taken away from the healthy environs of Nechells with its delightful coal gas filled atmosphere and bracing smog. So she was shipped out to Blackwell in the hope that the strange tasting country air would help seal the unwanted aperture.

I remember once that we visited her on a bank holiday Sunday, the whole family made the visit, quite an ordeal considering the journey was made by bus. I took along my current girlfriend and this made our total 9. Christine(my girlfriend) and I tried our best to pretend we were separate to the rest of the family.

I have to be quite honest that in her 18 month sojourn at this home this was the only time I made the trek out to see her. I'm glad to say though that she recovered and now leads a full healthy life.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy