Author Topic: Blackwell Convalesce Home  (Read 45590 times)

bcfcbluenose

Re: Blackwell Convalesce Home
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2009, 06:54:29 PM »
Thanks tramp, yes, born in the 40's, Small Heath, so I feel at home here. Keep right on....

tramp

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2009, 07:46:05 PM »
Hi bcfcbluenose,

I was born in the 40s too in Balsall Heath, but I'm not a Blues or Villa fan - wasn't it Alex Govan (a Scot like Harry Lauder) who sang that song for the first time on the way back from the 7-1 win in the FAC 3rd in '56?   Then wasn't it Orient 4-0 (A) WBA 1-0 (A) Arsenal 3-1 (A) and Sunderland 3-0 SF, to make them the first side ever to reach Wembley without playing at home.   Roy Warhurst breaking his leg at Highbury probably cost them the cup, but I heard later that others said Len Boyd ''never turned up'' and retired happy - he never played another game.

tramp

tramp

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2009, 10:24:28 PM »
Hi bcfcbluenose,

I should have said the 7-1 was Torquay Utd at (Plainmoor?)

And what I heard about Boyd was 2nd hand, many years after I left brum in '59.

chas35

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2009, 05:38:50 PM »
Hi just noticed this posting, glad to say we used to live in Blackwell for 24 yrs up unitl 1994.  There was a large house at the top of St.Catherines Road (which is still there but under different use) that belonged to Cadbury's which was part of another school opposite Hunters Hill called Cropwood, this was for girls from Birmingham.  I worked there for about 4 yrs.  I remember going to the convalescent home before it was pulled down for a look round the grounds.  Have very fond memories of Blackwell bringing up our family, incidentally our daughter now lives there and I still have friends there.  It is very different from when we moved there much busier, it was beautifully quiet then.

wimbush yardley

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2009, 04:41:31 PM »
found this P/C it got me thinking about the war years and trips to Blackwell we had relations who had a small farm there very high up I think it was called Hall Farm they could see Birmingham being bombed in the distance,they also had a fruit shop in bromsgrove where they sold the produce from the farm.
Trips there in the summer were magical for a six year old. A early start from Yardley,onto the 15 bus through Small Heath past the factory were my dad worked all week making sure the people of Birmingham had somthing to eat despite all the disturbed nights He and hundreds like him worked six in the morning till six at night then they started there wardens duty. But a day at blackwell would be a well deseved tonic
on to new st station and the train to Blackwell and beyond it dissapeared into that chasm under Hill st but when it reappeared it was like a new world.
When you arrived at Blackwell and the train moved forward to Bromsgrove all was peace not like Yardley the week before sleeping next to the ack ack camp,the pathway went down the side of the track and in front of the Blackwell recovery Hospital and came out at a little lane where we turned right about two hundred yards then a left turn into a track that took us to our special day

Regards Ken.
Do not judge a house by its appearance but by the warmth of the welcome.

wimbush yardley

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2009, 09:53:44 PM »
Hi.
    The reverse of the card above.
                                                   Regards Ken.
Do not judge a house by its appearance but by the warmth of the welcome.

chas35

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2009, 10:08:30 PM »
Wimbush - that's lovely

tramp

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2009, 10:20:03 PM »
Yes, it's a warm picture -

- positive, content and at peace

denise

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2009, 11:06:08 PM »
A lovely card :)

bcfcbluenose

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2009, 04:45:48 PM »
Hi, Can someone help, I have a few postcards of the hospital, I posted a couple on page 2 of this thread, I've just tried to post another and keep getting a message..."The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator." I don't know how to contact an administrator, I must be missing something. By the way I tried uploading 3 different postcards seperately, all well under 80 KB

denise

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2009, 06:42:52 PM »
I have just tried to put a pic on and I have had the same message :(

I will mail chris to let him know we have a problem.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy